No poo - low poo anyone?

magandab

This is very interesting to me. I have a couple of questions for those of you that are only washing every 3-4 days.

I have naturally curly hair with a great deal of frizz. So if this is a simple plan to control it more without having it in a bun everyday, I'm all for it.

However, I have hard water. So hard that it smells like sulfer coming out of the faucet sometimes - and that's with a water softener!

Would you have special recommendations for hard water?

Redbarnphotog hopefully someone can answer your question if not you might want to try the forums on naturally curly . com

This is very interesting to me. I have a couple of questions for those of you that are only washing every 3-4 days.

I have naturally curly hair with a great deal of frizz. So if this is a simple plan to control it more without having it in a bun everyday, I'm all for it.

However, I have hard water. So hard that it smells like sulfer coming out of the faucet sometimes - and that's with a water softener!

We have hard water here too. Tastes like it just came out of a swimming pool, they dump so much chlorine in it. UCK

I have naturally... wavy I guess you'd call it, hair. I think it works especially well to avoid adding more detergent and harsh chemicals to the mix.

One thing is that it takes a couple of weeks to get used to how your hair feels. I used to think that my hair had to feel all light and silky (for lack of a better word) to be clean. But then I could never understand why it got so frizzy. After I started this way I realized that instead of silk, your hair starts to feel more like satin. Smooth, thick and rich. Does that even make sense?

On most days I "water shampoo" my hair. Let the shower run through it, massaging and scrubbing my scalp as though I was using shampoo. Then I put a really good paraben free conditioner on it, starting at the ends and working up. I leave that in while I take the rest of my shower and then just rinse out until my hair still feels conditioned and soft, not until it's all rinsed out.

I also add leave-in conditioner and then either blow it dry or scrunch it and let it dry.

On shampoo days, I use a little dab, rub it between my palms and wash only the scalp. The shampoo rinsing out will clean the rest of your hair just fine. I then do everything as I do other days.

And, for the record, YES this cleans sweat off your scalp and out of your hair and NO your scalp/hair does not smell, other than of your products.

One other thing I've started doing is actually brushing my hair. I got an okay boar bristle and nylon brush and in the evening when I get home from work I give my hair a good scalp to ends brushing. A Mason-Pearson is on my wish list at Amazon!

I have naturally curly hair and I have been "co-washing" for about 2 years now. I don't use any shampoo - only conditioner. I use the conditioner to "wash" my hair and then rinse it out. Then I put a little conidtioner in after I shower to leave in. Conditioner is now the only product I use on my hair. I used to have to use lots of heavy product to keep it from frizzing but caring for my hair this way has totally changed my hair. It did take a few weeks to adapt but it has been much less frizzy since then. I would recommend it to anyone with curly hair. Check out the book "Curly Girl" - lots of great information in there!

After years of abuse, I now use Wen on my hair everyday..Wonder stuff..my hair was getting thinner and this makes it appear thicker and shiner and it's in great condition. I also occasionally use Argan oil on my hair after being in the pool or in the sun all day..Buy them both on QVC.

Sounds like you need an iron curtain on your water softener. I had that terrible sulfur smell and it went away when I got the iron curtain.

I can't stand that Wen stuff. It makes my hair look like I washed it in canola oil.

I to have an oily scalp and fine hair. It's a mess if I don't wash it everyday. I was recently in the hospital for a few weeks and did the daily "water wash" and it didn't help. First thing I did when I got home was shower and wash my hair - heaven!

I have naturally curly hair and I have been "co-washing" for about 2 years now. I don't use any shampoo - only conditioner. I use the conditioner to "wash" my hair and then rinse it out. Then I put a little conidtioner in after I shower to leave in. Conditioner is now the only product I use on my hair. I used to have to use lots of heavy product to keep it from frizzing but caring for my hair this way has totally changed my hair. It did take a few weeks to adapt but it has been much less frizzy since then. I would recommend it to anyone with curly hair. Check out the book "Curly Girl" - lots of great information in there!

What kind/brand condtiioner do you use? I tried this today with my favorite conditioner (Duffy's Brew from Amazon) and i really like the result. I have always had stick straight hair; not until I let it go gray did I discover some major waves/curls, so this is new to me.

I started washing my hair less in utter frustration after researching the "curly girl " site. It does take some getting used to but overall my hair is healthier, the curl is less frizzy and it looks better ! I use WEN. The only exception is august in New York....its always at least 85 % humidity. I just let it air dry and try not to think about it much!

I'm a co-washer. I use shampoo about 1 time every 2 or 3 wks and it's usually a sulfate free one. I try to just apply the shampoo to my scalp. If I straighten my hair I will use a sulfate shampoo to clean it since I will sometimes use 'cones to help smooth & straighten my hair. My hair is definitely better for having switched :-) I can't use oils as a styler while it's wet but can use it as a finisher on my ends once dry.

I work out every other day (run for 30 minutes) so I have to use both shampoo and conditioner (my hair is wavy and dry).

I've heard plenty of positives about CO (conditioner only) wash but haven't dared to try it yet.

I workout quite a bit too and co-washing (for me) has been fine. The times when I want to use a shampoo and don't have any sulfate free, I dilute the shampoo in water or mix a little shampoo with my conditioner. Another alternative I use is a cleansing condish.

I've found I like cleansing conditioners that are minty and leave my scalp tingly. If its winter time I'll use the richer condish to cleanse AND condition :-)

It's not for everyone and takes a little to get used to.

What kind/brand condtiioner do you use? I tried this today with my favorite conditioner (Duffy's Brew from Amazon) and i really like the result. I have always had stick straight hair; not until I let it go gray did I discover some major waves/curls, so this is new to me.

I use Yes To Cucumbers but you could use any good natural conditioner. There's a website somewhere that lists curly-girl friendly products. You might be able to google and find it. I know it's probably not for everyone but it works for me! :)

I use Yes To Cucumbers but you could use any good natural conditioner. There's a website somewhere that lists curly-girl friendly products. You might be able to google and find it. I know it's probably not for everyone but it works for me! :)

Naturallycurlydotcom :)

• 3 weeks later...

I 'co-wash' daily. No shampoo, only conditioner. I started co-washing 4 years ago after learning about it on LHCF and before learning about Wen, which I really like. Once I big chopped a month ago (cut out all the relaxer on my bra strap length hair) I started co-washing daily. When I did the big chop I colored my hair, so I find the daily co-wash moisturizing. I use Eco Styler gel and regular castor oil to style my mini fro. I'm about to order the Jamaican Black Castor Oil to see what the hype is all about. Right now daily co-washing is easy because my hair is so short (but it is growing out super fast). Once my hair is longer I may go to co-washing every couple days. On days I feel my hair needs to be clarified to strip out styling product build up I sprinkle a bit of baking soda on my wet hair, massage lightly and rinse, then follow up with a deep conditioning.

I condition everyday, and massage my scalp. No shampoo except when I go to my stylist. My stylist tells me my hair has never been in better shape, and it's far less frizzy. The only time it gets shampoo is when I go to my stylist.

Sincerely, Sambelina's Galaxy.

I use the Moroccan Oil products as I have butt length,colored blonde hair so as you can imagine living in Fl is a constant battle. They are more expensive but worth it for me.

I have deep treatments at the salon but also use some pro products I have at home once a week to keep it soft.

Trick is to change up your shampoo often, don't stick to the same brand month in month out as the reside builds up and up.

I have fairly fine hair and an oily scalp so I wash every day. I never thought I would (or could) use any oil based products on my hair, but I do color and it tends to dry out the hair. Someone recommended One 'N Only Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I decided to try it, and I can't believe how great my hair looks! It has that moroccan argan oil, and it certainly lives up to the hype.

We were in Florida in July (with a broken air conditioner) and the humidity was ridiculous, but this shampoo and conditioner prevented a lot of the frizz I normally would have had. They also make a leave in styling cream that's great. You can use it on wet or dry hair. I plan to use these products on my upcoming cruise to battle the humidity.

I started co-shampooing when I dyed my hair pink over two years ago. Only conditioner, no shampoo. And my hair is naturally very dark, so I had to really bleach it out for it to be pink. People were always amazed at how great my hair felt (one of the biggest problems with having pink hair is that people love to touch it without asking first! :rolleyes:)

I just moved away from the unnatural colors (for now, heh) and I'm still only using conditioner. It keeps the color so much longer, especially if you're a bottle redhead.

My sister uses Wen. I looked at the ingredient list (I'm a soapmaker by trade so I'm familiar with a lot of the ingredients in cosmetics) and it's the same as conditioner, just with a jacked up price. :D

• 2 weeks later...

i have oily, fine wavy hair and prefer to wash/condition it every day. I use organic tea-tree oil shampoo/cond. by Giovanni to calm my oily scalp . I only shampoo the scalp and only condition the ends. I haven't dyed my hair in 3 years, so now I have virgin hair.

On vacay, I have to wash my hair everyday to rinse out sea water .when not on vacay, I only wash every other day and on the off day, I use a dry shampoo by Oscar Blandi just on my scalp just to soak up excess oil.

It's true what they say, the more you wash your hair, the more your scalp wants to produce oil.

Archived