No poo - low poo anyone?

magandab

I hesitated to start this thread because of the name of this recent movement, but here goes.

Anyone stopped using shampoo or dramatically reduced your use of it? I have battled dry frizzy unmanageable hair since I stopped coloring it about five years ago. No amount of conditioner, rinse-out and leave-in, seemed to make any difference. First I switched to sulfate-free shampoo (which I still use, when I use shampoo) then I started going longer between shampoos. I "water shampoo" daily by massaging my scalp as though I was shampooing it, then I condition and also use a good leave-in conditioner.

I now actually use shampoo (very little on scalp only) about every four days. My hair has never looked better. I never used to get compliments on my hair (at least not for years) and now I do!

Anyone else?

I go 3-4 days between shampooing, and then it's with a sulfate-free shampoo. I've got curly hair, which benefits from less-frequent shampooing. Curly hair needs that extra "oil" to keep from getting dry and causing frizzing. My hair is much better since I stopped daily cleaning. It was getting too stripped of essential nutrients. I re-wet my hair each day and it works just fine.

Not me, I wash and condition mine every day. I have oily, naturally straight, thick, babyfine hair--what a combination! It's mid-back length. I can't stand my scalp if I don't wash my hair every day, and my hair doesn't look that great, either.

I wash it every other day.......and the day I don't wash? I condition

only. I could not go 3 days in a row without washing my hair. I mean

I could...but no way I would.

I have curly/wavy hair (it's moody!) and can go every other day when it's cool outside, and my curls look much better. But summertime, forget it. It's too disgusting outside, you sweat walking from the parking lot to the store. I just can't stand to go a day without. But my hair is a big frizz bomb in the summer anyway, no matter what I do.

I only shampoo every couple of days....and only on my scalp....I NEVER scrub the hair shaft....whatever shampoo rinses through the hair is ample to clean it. Conditioner EVERY time I wash.....

I used to wash daily when younger and oily hair was a problem....aging has taken care of that problem!

I have curly/wavy hair (it's moody!) and can go every other day when it's cool outside, and my curls look much better. But summertime, forget it. It's too disgusting outside, you sweat walking from the parking lot to the store. I just can't stand to go a day without. But my hair is a big frizz bomb in the summer anyway, no matter what I do.

I used to feel the same way. But sweat will rinse away with the water scrub and conditioner.

I was one of those who couldn't leave the house without washing my hair first. It was quite a change for me. For the first two weeks or so the feel of my hair bothered me, but then the natura oils corrected themselves . I also startes using a boar bristle brush each evening and giving my hair a decent brushing, scalp to ends. Sometimes I think our forebears had the right idea.

I so wish I could justify the price of a Mason Pearson brush!

I so wish I could justify the price of a Mason Pearson brush!

I bought one when I was in high school in 1987 (possibly 1988 -I can remember where I bought it but not the exact year....) I still have it and use it every day. I cannot tell you how many other replica attempts I've tried that have broken or failed (I carry a small brush in my bag for work and one in my gym bag- my MP is a Junior and that's bulky to carry around)

So it's $150 (MSRP - but cheaper on Amazon;)) now. Let's guess it was $100 back in the late 80s.

Every day - let's be generous and say 300 days per year of use. 24 years of use, 300 days - that's 7200 uses. That's .0134 cents per use so far.

Have I justified it for you yet? :p

I don't do that, but whenever I have my hair in a headband (I'm growing out a pixie cut, so that's a decent part of the time), I run about a tablespoon of coconut oil through it instead of styling creme/leave in conditioner (I use a 50/50 blend for styling).

I wish I could go without washing my hair every day, but my scalp and skin are so oily. I've tried to just rinse only, but I can tell the difference.

I don't use conditioner because it leaves my hair too limp, so I just use a cream rinse on the ends only. I do spritz a bit of leave in conditioner on the ends as well.

The good part about oily skin is less wrinkles on my face.

I don't do that, but whenever I have my hair in a headband (I'm growing out a pixie cut, so that's a decent part of the time), I run about a tablespoon of coconut oil through it instead of styling creme/leave in conditioner (I use a 50/50 blend for styling).

I recently read that coconut oil is great for a hot oil treatment. It cures so many skin problems too. Our neighbor rescued an abandoned dog (we live in the desert) and her nose was all crusty and awful looking. He asked me what he could put on it and I gave him my jar of coconut oil. Worked like magic

I "Co-Wash" Condition wash) or use a Shampoo conditioner mix. I clean it daily (often with tea tree oil and water since it's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral) but I don't necessarily co-wash it daily. That will depend on how dirty it is and what I've been doing.

An alternative is using ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) it cleans the hair without stripping.

I do not have oily/greasy hair, but dryer fine strand dense tightly coily hair, so skipping days is sometimes practical for me. It's bra strap length but I keep it curly and never straighten it, so it looks a lot shorter. I'm not an expert but if your hair is normally dryer it's a lot easier to skip "poo" days than if you have very oily hair, which is probably why this regimen works well for you.

I also 2nd or 3rd :) Coconut oil as a conditioner. Castor oil is good too depending on your hair type.

Congrats on finding a routine that garners compliments!

Well, its in my Amszon shopping cart.....

I bought one when I was in high school in 1987 (possibly 1988 -I can remember where I bought it but not the exact year....) I still have it and use it every day. I cannot tell you how many other replica attempts I've tried that have broken or failed (I carry a small brush in my bag for work and one in my gym bag- my MP is a Junior and that's bulky to carry around)

So it's $150 (MSRP - but cheaper on Amazon;)) now. Let's guess it was $100 back in the late 80s.

Every day - let's be generous and say 300 days per year of use. 24 years of use, 300 days - that's 7200 uses. That's .0134 cents per use so far.

Have I justified it for you yet? :p

I have a copy of "The Delineator" from about 1912. It has an article about how to wash your hair which gives about 3 large pages of instruction and illustration. It even shows how to "blow dry" with a hand held fan.

They suggest you wash your hair every 4 WEEKS, 3 weeks if your hair is very oily.

They also suggest using a boar's hair brush for several minutes of vigorous hair-brushing every night. Then you braid your hair so it doesn't become a rat's nest while you sleep.

Of course in those days, women seldom cut their hair. But they did use curling irons and metal curlers and crimps and other utensils that must have been pretty stressful for normal hair.

I wash my hair every other day. Unless it's really short. When it was buzzed off (quite a few years ago) I just washed my head. No shampoo. It was great.

I just started using a great product - it's moroccon oil formula - the one I purchased is from the guy who does Oprah's hair - I got it on Sephora.com

Anyway, I love it. I just put a couple of small dots in my palm andrub over my hair while still damp. It makes such a difference - you can use it on dry hair too. I only wash my hair every other day also. It's a little pricy but you use so little of it at a time.

I shampoo daily or my hair starts looking greasy, especially at the scalp. I do not use any styling products, no leave in conditioner or de-frizzer or hairspray. I usually just blow my hair dry and go. Its naturally wavy and if I don't blowdry, it gets curlier and kind of wire-ey and totally does its own thing. If I blow it dry, its softer and more co-operative. I occasionally have to use a clarifying shampoo, because it starts looking dull and lifeless. I use a clarifying shampoo to bring back shine and bounce. I condition once in awhile, more frequently if I've colored recently because that makes my hair drier.

I recently read that coconut oil is great for a hot oil treatment. It cures so many skin problems too. Our neighbor rescued an abandoned dog (we live in the desert) and her nose was all crusty and awful looking. He asked me what he could put on it and I gave him my jar of coconut oil. Worked like magic

I keep seeing the recommendation for coconut oil as a skin moisturizer, but it's really comedogenic. I use it on my hands, but never ever on my face (I use plain olive oil on my face).

Just as some people have dry skin and others have oily skin, so goes it with hair...

When I started lengthening the time between shampoos, I was not happy at first - I felt like I had oily, dirty hair. But as my hair and scalp got used to it, it changed and is now very happy at 3-4 days. Even my hair stylist has commented how much better my hair is. I've also abandoned using a blowdryer on my hair UNLESS I am running out of time to get to work. Then, it's just a quick hit of the dryer with the diffuser on it.

I also use MoroccanOil (the first one), the oil and also the curl creme. If I'm somewhere really humid, I'll switch the curl creme with some Ouidad Climate Control. A favorite of mine in the winter (zero humidity indoors and low humidity outdoors) is to add a little bit of The Body Shop Coconut Oil to the ends. I found this years ago at The Body Shop store in Maastricht, The Netherlands. The tin lasts a LONG time because you use such a small amount.

I wash my hair every other day with conditioner and then use a vinegar rinse. Vinegar is the best conditioner ever:D, great for shine. Today I got in the shower and realized that I didn't have any conditioner so I just scrubbed with water and finished with a vinegar rinse. It feels really soft so I probably will do the same tomorrow.

I use coconut oil on my face every day and don't have any problems with breaking out, but that's just me. I'm allergic to a lot of things so I make my own face lotion with argan oil, coconut oil, clove and lavender oils and zinc oxide powder for sun protection. I also make my own sunscreen and lip balm so I can control what's in them. I'm a big fan of coconut and olive oil. :) I'm still working on a natural conditioner recipe but will probably just stick with water and vinegar- And if it's rinsed out well enough it doesn't smell even when I sweat :p

I have short, dry hair with a ton of body. I wash as needed, works out to about five times a week. I can't imagine working out and then not washing my hair, talk about stink, stank, stunk. And just rinsing doesn't get rid of sweaty scalp smell.

This is very interesting to me. I have a couple of questions for those of you that are only washing every 3-4 days.

I have naturally curly hair with a great deal of frizz. So if this is a simple plan to control it more without having it in a bun everyday, I'm all for it.

However, I have hard water. So hard that it smells like sulfer coming out of the faucet sometimes - and that's with a water softener!

Would you have special recommendations for hard water?

Archived