Men - shorts or trousers for dinner

Hi

I know on formal nights men are expected to wear DJ or at least shirt/tie/trousers/jacket.

But what about other nights.

Can men wear shorts in all the restaurants ? or is it trousers every night.

We're going on the dream

Thanks

Hi

I know on formal nights men are expected to wear DJ or at least shirt/tie/trousers/jacket.

But what about other nights.

Can men wear shorts in all the restaurants ? or is it trousers every night.

We're going on the dream

Thanks

Long trousers for the main dining room - shorts are ok for the Lido (self-service). Shorts are permitted in the main dining room at breakfast and lunchtimes though.

Hairy male legs are not attractive on any evening dining occasion. Please do give some thought to your fellow passengers, most of whom would prefer a minimum degree of decorum.

Open neck shirts and trousers are generally fine on non formal nights - not too much to ask surely?

We did Caribbean Crossing in 2011 on Destiny and were 8 hours late arriving in Madeira. Arrived 4pm instead of 8am. It took 'til 5.15 for passengers to disembark and we were sailing at 7pm which meant back on board by 6.30pm.

We were on first sitting for dinner which started at 6.30pm. DH wears chino shorts when on shore and we thought it would be alright to go straight to the dining room due to the late arrival in Madeira and the fact the dining room had started serving. We were with the couple we shared the table with and when I went to sit down noticed DH was missing. I had missed it but he had been refused entry to the dining room and was sent to change.:eek:

Moral of this rambling story - long trousers for the main dining room.

if you have VERY short legs then shorts would be be OK in MD :rolleyes:

oh dear think another lie down is needed ;)

have been on this computer since 6AM :eek:(work )

and still cannot find that Caps Lock chap ,,,which deck is he on :confused:

Stevie :D

Long trousers for the main dining room - shorts are ok for the Lido (self-service). Shorts are permitted in the main dining room at breakfast and lunchtimes though.

This was just as I thought, but best to check with you experts

if you have VERY short legs then shorts would be be OK in MD

My dad has very short legs and often wears shorts as long trousers :p:p

]Hairy male legs are not attractive on any evening[/color] dining occasion. Please do give some thought to your fellow passengers' date=' most of whom would prefer a minimum degree of decorum.

Open neck shirts and trousers are generally fine on non formal nights - not too much to ask surely?[/quote']

So what about the gentlemen who wear kilts on formal night ?:eek:

Stevie :rolleyes:

So what about the gentlemen who wear kilts on formal night ?:eek:

Stevie :rolleyes:

Kilts are a national costume so are OK

Wonder what the reaction would be if you turned up in a grass skirt with the bone and the spear :D:D:D

Wonder what the reaction would be if you turned up in a grass skirt with the bone and the spear :D:D:D

I'd be asking for a full nominal roll call of all crew and passengers and checking the menu for the Dish of The Day, with a view to having the veggie option !!!

:D

Come on! When was it acceptable to wear shorts for dinner? Get real, shorts are not acceptable for dining in a restaurant, it's called respect for your fellow diners!

We live in a changing world which gets less formal by the year, certainly you do see passengers wearing shorts at dinner regularly on cruise ships that are dominated by an Americal crowd. The question about wearing shorts for dinner has been going on for years and many still think its fine if the shorts are of the formal nature. Personaly I think cruise traditions should be kept but then I'm old fashioned that way.

We live in a changing world which gets less formal by the year, certainly you do see passengers wearing shorts at dinner regularly on cruise ships that are dominated by an Americal crowd. The question about wearing shorts for dinner has been going on for years and many still think its fine if the shorts are of the formal nature. Personaly I think cruise traditions should be kept but then I'm old fashioned that way.

Yes I agree - we enjoy getting changed for dinner - not over-dressed just shower, change and feel we're making a pleasant and not so run-of-the-mill occasion out of going for our evening meal (and theatre!) afterwards. I feel it all helps to make our holiday more special.

Of course, this isn't everyone's preference. But if there are requirements from cruise-lines for a dress code which precludes shorts for the main dining room then people are able to make decisions about whether that is a deal-breaker for them or not.

Whilst I'm not keen on the overly formal cruise lines as one formal evening a week is enough for us, when we went on an American ship I was very surprised at the complete lack of formality. In fact an American commented one evening that you could always spot the Brits because they were the ones who got changed for dinner. The dining rooms were opulent but very, very casual wear just seemed to make it feel sooooooooo ordinary.

Each to their own - but it is important to ask the question so that each cruiser can select a ship which suits their own preferences and make the right choice - for them.

My OH likes to wear tailored shorts on holiday in the evening. However, I've put my foot down and told him no way on cruises. He has worn them on cruises where we are in a warm climate but only after dinner when he has gone and changed for the rest of the evening.

On our Med Crossing in April there was a chap who wore shorts. The only problem was they were not dress shorts and he sat in the front row of the show with his legs propped up on the ledge in front of him. I don't think he had many pairs with him as he always seemed to be in the same pair during the day as well.

My bug bear is the number of men who will insist on wearing baseball caps when in the various indoor eating areas. :eek: Often wonder if they sleep with them on. :eek:

You and me both!:)

My OH likes to wear tailored shorts on holiday in the evening. However, I've put my foot down and told him no way on cruises. He has worn them on cruises where we are in a warm climate but only after dinner when he has gone and changed for the rest of the evening.

On our Med Crossing in April there was a chap who wore shorts. The only problem was they were not dress shorts and he sat in the front row of the show with his legs propped up on the ledge in front of him. I don't think he had many pairs with him as he always seemed to be in the same pair during the day as well.

My bug bear is the number of men who will insist on wearing baseball caps when in the various indoor eating areas. :eek: Often wonder if they sleep with them on. :eek:

I must have missed the chap in shorts back in April. I saw plenty of other 'characters' on that cruise though!

I must have missed the chap in shorts back in April. I saw plenty of other 'characters' on that cruise though!

Hi Grez

If possible he aimed for the front row on the left hand side at the first show. Couldn't help but notice him. Sometimes we were sitting next or near to him. It was the next morning when he would stroll across the pool deck and have a look over each side wearing what appeared to be the same shorts. Maybe slept in them or has several pairs the same colour.:eek:

Archived