RT Los Angeles - Hawaii in 15 days

janacin

OK... so I can understand that it may be a logistics issue and what is easier and less costly. Tendering is obviously more time consuming and takes more man hours.

BUT... why they EXTRA day cruising back? why not spend the extra day in Honolulu. There is so much to do on Oahu, there is no way a person can enjoy the island in one day. HAL usually spends two days in Oahu

I could be wrong, but isn't the only way to get an extra day, is by going slower. Seriously, I would like to know. I love sea days, but I don't want to cruise at 8 knots.

While I like the idea of an extra day aboard, getting more hours in yucky Ensenada does nothing for me!!! So for me, it would just be another day onboard!

Same here. Our last two Hawaiian cruises we didn't go into town (one time to the marketplace, then back on board; the other time, we stayed onboard).

The website shows a couple of the 15-day cruises that stop at Kona. The February 2014 cruises on the Sapphire are substituting Kona for Hilo. It is for those two cruises only.

Okay, I didn't see those. Will have to look again.

I had a great time in Ensedada the last time I was on a cruise which callef there. The pool was less crowded, the Lido buffet was less crowded. It was a very good day staying on the ship.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Judging from our last couple cruises that stopped there, most people stayed onboard, so I don't think there's a discernible difference in pool and buffet usage.

On our 2005 cruise, we did go past the volcano flow (I think that was one of the highpoints of the cruise for everyone onboard -- very awesome), but that was because we were going from Hilo to Kona (even though we ended up skipping Kona).

But even if you get Kona on your cruise, if it's instead of Hilo, you probably won't get to see the lava flow.

I could be wrong, but isn't the only way to get an extra day, is by going slower. Seriously, I would like to know. I love sea days, but I don't want to cruise at 8 knots.

that's right... we've made this cruise several times in the past six years. it always takes four days to Ensenada. So, to extend that to five days, they have to be cruising at a slower speed. Although I appreciate the sea days... why extend the cruise by slowing the ship down??

why not add a stop in Kona? or my question still remains... WHY not a stay over in Honolulu???

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the additional day on the itinerary does have to do with adding the lava flow sailby. I noticed they leave Hilo a little earlier on the new itinerary, but still get to Honolulu at the same time. Does that give enough time for the lava flow sailby when it is flowing into the sea? I am not sure.

Also, a couple of itineraries in February 2014 show that Kona is substituted for Hilo and Kona is the last Hawaiian port of call before sailing back to the mainland. With Kona last and an extra sea day saiing back to LA, that would surely allow time for the lava flow sailby after leaving Kona.

Archived