RT Los Angeles - Hawaii in 15 days

janacin

I noticed that the 2013 - 2014 schedule shows that the Sapphire and the Star will be doing the LA - Hawaii round trip in 15 days instead of the usual 14. Could they be making an extra stop in Kona as other cruise lines have done? Hmmm.

Comparing the 14 day and 15 day itineraries, they both spend days 6,7,8 and 9 in Hawaii. No extra stop.

It looks like the extra day is in sailing back and extra time in Ensenada .....4pm to 8 pm on 14 day trip ......verses .......8 am to 5 pm on the 15 days trip.

I noticed that the 2013 - 2014 schedule shows that the Sapphire and the Star will be doing the LA - Hawaii round trip in 15 days instead of the usual 14. Could they be making an extra stop in Kona as other cruise lines have done? Hmmm.

You don't have to guess, the itineraries are on line. Sadly no extra time in Hawaii at all. Instead of 4 Sea Days getting to Ensenada, there are now 5.

I saw that in the latest quarterly' date=' but the Princess website doesn't list Kona as one of the ports. Too bad because on our 2005 cruise, we had to miss Kona due to high waves. A year or so later, Kona was removed from the itinerary.[/quote']

The website shows a couple of the 15-day cruises that stop at Kona. The February 2014 cruises on the Sapphire are substituting Kona for Hilo. It is for those two cruises only.

I got excited when I saw the title on this thread thinking they were bringing back the fifth stop in Hawaii. I do love sea days, but I'm not going to spend 15 days on a ship for four ports (I don't count Ensenada).

Lucky for us, our first 2 Hawaii cruises--with HAL--did stop in Kona. Like Kona much better than Hilo.

Our last one, in April was the 15 dayer, no Kona, and with Ensenada. Got off the ship, watched all the sea lions, and got back aboard. This Sept. we have a wineries tour booked in Ensenada.

If I remember right, I think Star will be doing the Hawaii runs down the road. We are waiting for the 2015 itin's because we want to go back for the 4th time.

Never get tired of Hawaii. :D ;)

Pat

While I like the idea of an extra day aboard, getting more hours in yucky Ensenada does nothing for me!!! So for me, it would just be another day onboard!

I had a great time in Ensedada the last time I was on a cruise which callef there. The pool was less crowded, the Lido buffet was less crowded. It was a very good day staying on the ship.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

If you look at the map, cruising from Hawaii to Ensenada is all uphill. Perhaps it's a fuel saving measure and we get an extra day at sea. Yipee!

Just kidding.

Hahaha...funny person. At first, I was like what????

You don't have to guess, the itineraries are on line. Sadly no extra time in Hawaii at all. Instead of 4 Sea Days getting to Ensenada, there are now 5.

5 days back! so much bull... what happened to Kona? I really enjoyed the Kona stop... and I'm so tired of Ensenada... we don't even get off the ship... it's like a NON port and waste of time! (and yes, I understand the foreign port requirement)

and if they can't stop in Kona, instead of an extra sea day, why not an overnight stay in Honolulu?? HAL does it it.

Somehow replacing Hilo with Kona on a couple of the cruises is not nearly as satisfying and porting in BOTH places. Each has it's pluses, but to me Kona is a nicer port city.

Hilo is the WET side of the island. Kona's weather is always so much better. We've had drizzle and wet weather the last two times in Hilo!

Hilo is the WET side of the island. Kona's weather is always so much better. We've had drizzle and wet weather the last two times in Hilo!

Kona is a tender stop ......Hilo is a docking stop. They probably prefer docking to tendering .......and there it less likely weather would interfere with a docking port.

Kona is a tender stop ......Hilo is a docking stop. They probably prefer docking to tendering .......and there it less likely weather would interfere with a docking port.

And the $$$ from Volcano National Park excursions on the Hilo side. Way quicker to get to than from Kona

OK... so I can understand that it may be a logistics issue and what is easier and less costly. Tendering is obviously more time consuming and takes more man hours.

BUT... why they EXTRA day cruising back? why not spend the extra day in Honolulu. There is so much to do on Oahu, there is no way a person can enjoy the island in one day. HAL usually spends two days in Oahu

When Kona was still on the itinerary we did go by the volcano at night and it was awesome!!

Sweet. I didn't have that when I had Kona on my itinerary. If they add an extra day to the cruise I think they should, at least, add some scenic cruising. I think they want to add the extra day so they have more time to sail back and save fuel. Just a thought.

Sweet. I didn't have that when I had Kona on my itinerary. If they add an extra day to the cruise I think they should, at least, add some scenic cruising. I think they want to add the extra day so they have more time to sail back and save fuel. Just a thought.

As I said, the return trip is all uphill.

BUT... why they EXTRA day cruising back? why not spend the extra day in Honolulu. There is so much to do on Oahu, there is no way a person can enjoy the island in one day. HAL usually spends two days in Oahu

My guess is the fuel cost. They know the speed they need to sail to get to each location, and one less day sailing back would be at a higher speed and may result in excessive fuel costs.

Archived