Regatta review - ports, etc. Istanbul to Rome

Tokyo Mom

I will try to post pictures later.

Ports:

Istanbul: We arrived in Istanbul early and spent 2 nights at the Hotel Nena. We took the hotel credit, which I think was a great choice. The Hotel Nena was very centrally located and at a cost of $127 a night including breakfast (with at least 30 different choices of food) and a daily afternoon snack offering (from 5-7 pm), it couldn’t be beat. Breakfast (and snacks) were on the rooftop terrace that had a great view of the city. I believe they also served dinner but we did not eat there for dinner. Also, the staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend the hotel.

I’m sort of on the fence about this – we hired a guide for a full day tour and a half-day tour with EKOL tours. We also used them for transfer from the airport to the hotel. We certainly could have toured the city on our own and as many people have said, it is easy to do. The advantage of having a guide was that there was less thinking involved. After being a little jet lagged and wanting to see as much as possible in two days, it was nice to have someone pointing us in the right direction, handing us our tickets to enter different sites and guiding us to the shorter lines. With that said, we did venture out on our own the day we arrived – walking to the underground cistern (10TL and about a 10 minute walk from the hotel) and then through a large park with huge trees where we saw many families on a Sunday afternoon and then taking the long way to the spice market and then back up a steep hill, though much shorter walk back to our hotel.

Our guide met us at our hotel at 8:45 on Monday and although it was supposed to be a private tour asked if we would mind two women (sisters) joining us for the morning portion. We had no problem with that and they were very nice and ended up being on the same cruise. We first stopped at the Hippodrome, then to the Blue Mosque. You do need to take your shoes off in the Blue Mosque, but they provide little plastic bags to put your shoes in. They will also provide a piece of cotton cloth to cover your head, bare arms or legs. I was wearing a hat and a dress that covered my knees and although I had short sleeves was still given a piece of cloth for my arms. Yet inside I saw a woman with a sleeveless shirt on and nothing covering her arms. She must have snuck by. Scott had on shorts and even asked if he should cover his legs and was told no he was fine.

From there we went to the Topkapi palace. For the most part our guide would explain what we would see in the various rooms and then send us in as he waited outside. Guides were not supposed to go in – I guess it would get too loud and bottle-necked with lots of guides in the different areas. I have to admit we were both a little underwhelmed with the palace and unfortunately were not able to see the harem section because it was under restoration. We then all went to have lunch together. We were told we were going to have lunch somewhere air-conditioned. Be vary of that – Turkish air conditioning and US air conditioning are two different things. ☺ The sisters left us after lunch and we were picked up by a driver and brought down to the Bosphorus for our river tour. I think the tour was about an hour and a half or so and was a nice way to spend the afternoon and it was so much cooler on the ferry than walking around earlier in the day. We are from Dallas so we know hot but even so, it gets quite steamy wandering around all day. Our guide was full of information everywhere we went – sometimes I think some of what he shared with us was a tad questionable, but overall we liked him. The reason I say it was a tad

questionable is because Scott has taught a college level church history class before and when he disputed some things our guide was telling us he didn’t seem to like that and didn’t agree. And at the Hagia Sofia he told us the reason for these huge hooks outside the doors to the cathedral was to keep the poorer people out yet when we looked at our Rick Steve’s guidebook later he said it was to keep the dust out – not the people.

After our river tour (where you can get off on the Asia side if you wish – to say you were there – we lived in Japan so no need to get off) we were brought back into the center of town and were making our way to the Grand Bazaar though were directed to a carpet shop instead. I had said ahead of time no carpets – but alas, it was not to be avoided. We were brought up to a large room and shown about 15 carpets or so from a very nice man. Some were quite beautiful - we just have no room in our home for any more carpets. So, thankfully we were out of there – with no carpets in about 30 minutes. Then instead of going to the Grand Bazaar we were taken (because we asked) to a “real” kilim store. I had wanted to buy purses for my girls and our mom’s and did not want a fake from the Grand Bazaar. I had also read that many of the products in the Grand Bazaar now come from China. The store we were brought to was very nice and I did find what I was looking for. It made me feel a little better that there was a man in there who I was talking to who told me that he has been coming to Turkey (from Australia) for 30 years and for the last 5 years he comes once a year to buy things from this store and then brings them back to Australia to sell. We also had a little bit of a snafu because we did not know the pin to the credit card we had wanted to use. We had never had to use a pin before when using a credit card overseas so hadn’t memorized it. Lesson learned. Scott had to go back to the hotel, with the owner’s son – who went along for company and to first take him to an ATM machine. Turned out he had just returned to Turkey after getting his degree in the states in international business. Scott said they had a very nice conversation along the way. Anyway, he returned with about half the cost in TL and a credit card that did not require a pin and were on our way. It was then back to the hotel, rest a little and then out to dinner.

On Tuesday we had a half-day tour, again getting met by our guide at 8:45. We stowed our luggage at the hotel and then headed out. Our first stop was the Hagia Sofia. We both found this amazing – it is so big, so old and so impressive. I have to say that it bothered me a little bit to think that it was once a cathedral and then converted to a mosque – not exactly sure why but it did. We spent at least an hour here and found it much more impressive than either the Blue Mosque or Topkapi palace. We then walked to the Grand Bazaar to have a quick look around. I was looking for some evil eye bracelets for our oldest son and found two but I didn’t really love them. (Turned out that there were many nicer varieties in Greece.) I wanted some “nice” ones not something mass produced and “chintzy” looking. Scott also picked up a little “silver” covered dish that they serve Turkish delight on. And then 2 little Turkish hats (I’m sure they have a special name) that I paid way too much for – 15 TL each when I saw them an hour later somewhere else for 4TL each! Lesson learned – pay attention to prices before you enter the bazaar. I had read and been told that merchants were very aggressive in the bazaar and I have to say I did not find that to be the case at all. Perhaps because I am comparing it to the Silk Market in Beijing which pretty much scared the living daylights out of me. Also be warned it is so HOT in the bazaar – I don’t think there is any air flow inside. Even so, I would have liked to have spent a little more time there but I guess I might have just ended up buying things I really didn’t need. ☺ We then went back to the hotel to collect our bags and meet our driver and were taken to the Chora Church.

It probably took about 20 minutes to get there and it was completely worth the trip. It’s in a very quiet little area (with what looked like a few nice souvenir shops around it – where I saw the much cheaper hats). This was also built as a cathedral and then converted to a mosque. The mosaics were just amazing and we were very glad to have seen it. It’s not huge but very beautiful – though you spend all your time with your neck craned to the ceilings.

Kusadasi: Our second stop was Kusadasi. We once again used EKOL tours and our tour guide met us right when we got off the ship, well just outside the port arrivals area, just after noon. She was very nice and we ended up liking her much more than our Istanbul guide. We found our driver in our “air conditioned” van. I say that because there was not a whole lot of air moving around inside that van most of the time. Our first stop of the day was, of course, Ephesus.

Ephesus is definitely a must see and is just incredible. Scott is quite the history buff and loved it. I was really enjoying myself as well until it came time to go and see the Terrace Houses. This area is in a sort of building because it is still being excavated. We were told it was around 110 degrees and there is very little shade anywhere. Well, we were walking around in the Terrace houses exhibit and all of a sudden I remember telling Scott that I did not feel good and everything got very fuzzy. Turns out I passed out – I’m sure from either heat exhaustion or heat stroke. After what I’m told was about 5 minutes I was once again okay. So please drink plenty of water, something I obviously did not do. As I said, we live in Dallas where it gets very hot and have been to places like Bali and Phuket but have never experienced heat like this.

Anyway after leaving Ephesus we went on to The House of the Virgin Mary. It is in a very peaceful setting and everyone going in and walking around the home is very respectful. We both enjoyed seeing her house more than we thought we would. Once again our guide explained what we would be seeing and then just let us wander on our own, which we really liked.

Next stop was the Basilica of St. John. There were surprisingly few tourists here although it’s a pretty big site. And our guide did not have a whole lot to say. Scott said he wondered if it was because I wasn’t looking all that great again. Whatever the reason we wandered a bit, took some pictures and then back in the van and to a leather factory. I know, we must have “sucker” written on our faces. We walked into a building that felt heavenly though – lots of air conditioning. At that point I would have paid the guy $50 just to sit in his air conditioning! We had a private leather coat fashion show that I admit was a tad odd – with just the two of us watching. After that we were led into the showroom by, let’s just call him “friendly guy.” He explained a bit about their jackets and many were very beautiful but I had no desire to spend $500 or more on a leather coat. He then pointed out a section in which the long coats were $200 and the short coats were $150. I found two that I liked – a black short coat and a long cream color swing type coat. I liked the long better but the sleeves were too long. Not to worry says friendly guy – they can shorten them in 10 minutes. I ask where the buttons are and he says they size those too and add them when purchased. So, because I have actually been looking for a new leather coat at home decide to get the long one. I am sized and as we are about to pay friendly guy says how about both coats for $300 instead of $350. I like them both and am happy to actually get coats that are the correct length in the sleeves that I say yes. So, about 15 minutes later we walk out with two new coats for me. When our guide asks how much we paid, she actually looks genuinely surprised at the price.

We are then taken back into the port area and she points out a good restaurant for these pancake type dishes that we really liked in Istanbul. We bid her farewell and head up the stairs to a restaurant that appears to be full of local men – fishermen perhaps? I think I am the only woman sitting on the landing with them. Service was a tad slow though they seemed to bring out all the stops for us, bringing us place mats – though I did not see a single placemat on any other table. The dish was delicious and about 8 TL – filled with meat, carmelized onions, feta and parsley. We then wandered around the shops – spending our remaining TL. Though it was very strange because all the shops at the port area had all their prices in euros and they would have to convert anything into TL for us. So, we did our part to help the Turkish economy.

Santorini: Disembarking on the Regatta is a pleasure compared to larger ships. The ships excursions left first and then we were in the Regatta lounge to receive our tender tickets at 9:00 and were on the first tender just after 9:00. As everyone probably knows there are three ways to reach the town of Fira – walk, donkeys or cable car. Scott wanted to take the cable car but I really wanted to take the donkeys, so in the line for the donkeys we went. It was a very short line and we were on donkeys (5 euro each) within about 10 minutes. It’s very nice in the morning because the steps are all shaded. The donkeys are the size of horses and nowhere near as scary as many people have said. They do get close to the wall every now and then but it’s easy to just put your hand on the wall to sort of scoot away. It also seemed that my donkey would pause at various spots along the route so that I could take pictures, whether this was true or not it was appreciated. There was only one time that was a little dicey – when about 6 or 7 donkeys came barreling down and we got a little crushed in the middle of them. But, other than that it was a very pleasant way to reach the top.

We pretty much just walked through Fira to make our way to the bus area. It’s not hard to miss, just a little confusing once you are there. There was one sign that said you bought your tickets there and another that said you bought them on the bus. Turns out you buy them on the bus. The busses are well marked on the front as to where they are going and seemed to come every 20 – 30 minutes. We just missed getting on the first bus but got no problems getting on the next one and even had seats. The cost of the bus was 1.60 euro each – great deal and they are the large motorcoach type busses. It took about 25 minutes or so to reach Oia.

Once there we just did what everyone does – wander around, go in shops and take lots and lots of pictures. We bought a few little trinkets and some wonderfully smelling olive oil soap. We then looked for somewhere to have lunch at one of the many outdoor cafes with beautiful views. Every place posts their menus outside so just look and see what strikes your fancy. I loved the spinach pie I had. We then wandered some more and when we had had enough went back to the bus area.

Once again, we just missed a bus and it was about 30 minutes until the next one arrived. The group of us waiting were all standing very orderly in a nice line, until the bus arrived that is. Then it was an absolute madhouse – mainly due to the fact that a large Chinese family showed no regard whatsoever to the line. One of the men was trying to get onto the bus before the poor people inside even had a chance to get off. The driver had to come back and hold him back. Once everyone was off it was survival of the fittest to get on. We did get on, but just barely and stood the whole way back.

Now we had to decide how to get back down to the tenders. I figured we could walk down – no problem. Well, number one I forgot that the steps were now in the afternoon sun and two there are over 500 steps! But, once you start walking there is no going back. And I saw many people much older than me and I kept telling myself if they could do it, so could I. There was very little donkey poop on the way down and we probably only had about 6 donkeys pass us – this was around 3:00 or so. I’m not quite sure how long it took – 20 minutes maybe just a little more. Once at the bottom my calves were a bit sore and my legs in general quite wobbly.

Athens: We arrived just a few minutes late – but nothing to be concerned about. We were off the ship around 8:15 and made our way through the port terminal to find someone holding a sign for Athens Walking Tours. I had pre-booked a morning food walking tour and then a tour of the Acropolis. The owner of the company, Despina, was our guide and she was very knowledgeable and kind as well as entertaining. We first were brought by taxi to our tour meeting place, just outside a metro station. We misunderstood just exactly where we were supposed to meet and went down into the station. I reviewed my instructions and realized the tour would not be starting until 10:00 and we arrived around 8:45, so we had some time to kill. We just sat down and waited and watched the people come and go. Just before 10:00, when we hadn’t seen anyone else, we walked back out of the station and there was Despina and the rest of the people taking the tour – a couple with a young son who was living temporarily in Athens and a couple with their 17 month old daughter from another cruise ship. I believe we made 6 stops (tasting food at each stop) and also passed through the fish market, meat market and fruit and vegetable market – where we had small pears (only in season for about 3 weeks) and some cherries. We enjoyed the tour and then the other couples went on their way and Scott and I continued to the Acropolis with Despina.

It was once again over 100 degrees and we arrived around 1:30 in the afternoon to start our trek to the top. Despina found whatever little available shade there was for us to stop so she could explain various things. I have to say that after seeing Ephesus, the Acropolis and Parthenon was a little underwhelming. Though I am happy that we got to see it. We (the three of us) then walked to a smoothie café to get something to cool us off and wait for our taxi to bring us back to the ship. I’m not exactly sure what we were expecting of Athens but I thought it would have been more interesting. Despina was telling us that there has been so much bad press about Athens that now more and more people are not even disembarking from their stops there and many people do not even want to take cruises that have a stop in Athens. Although it was not quite as “exciting” as I had thought, never for a minute did we not feel safe – and we spent the morning in a very non-touristy area.

Malta: I had gotten tickets for the Hypogeum months ago for an 11:00 tour. When we got there they had a sign that said tickets were booked full through August 25th. If this is something you’d like to see, book well in advance online. There is a taxi stand when you get off the ship and you can get a taxi to just one location or book a taxi for 2 – 3 hours. I believe 2 hours was around 50 (or so) Euros and 3 hours was around 60. We just wanted a taxi to the Hypogeum but were wondering if our driver would come back to get us at noon. He was more than happy to do so, which worked out great. English is spoken on Malta, which makes things very easy. The destinations service person on board said to give ourselves plenty of time due to traffic. Well, Malta traffic is one thing – stateside traffic another. There really was no traffic to speak of and we reached our destination in about 10 minutes.

We just wandered around the streets and walked back to a very large church that we passed. Our driver told us that there are 300 churches on Malta. It’s a very unique place – seeing just about everything made out of stone was very interesting. I also loved all the colorful doors leading to people’s homes or places of business – I took lots of pictures of them. We also walked to the Tarxien Temples. This doesn’t really look like much but it is the first known created structures ever built 6000 years ago. There is a nominal fee to walk through the site and they give you information to read as you go along so you have a fairly good idea what you are looking at. We then went back to the Hypogeum and waited an hour for our 11:00 tour.

The Hypogeum is an underground burial site that also dates back 6000 years. They only allow 11 people to tour each hour and it truly was fascinating.

Our taxi driver was waiting for us when we were done and he took us first to the Handicraft village – where we went in two shops – jewelry and a glass blowing factory. From there we went to Mdina City. It’s a great place to walk around and is the highest point on the island. From there our driver brought us back into Valleta, pointing some things out along the way. We ended up using him from noon – 2:00. We paid him and then went off in search of St. John’s Co-Cathedral (still not sure why it’s called “Co”). We walked around in there and then to find the Palace rooms and Armory of the Grand Master of the Knights of St. John. Admittedly, this was much more interesting for Scott than it was for me. From there we decided to head back to the ship – easier said then done. Unless we were missing something, which is completely possible, there did not seem to be an easy nor direct route back to the ship. I found it to be a long and steep walk back and said that I had a feeling we’d be hearing someone’s name called who did not make it back in time – which sure enough we did.

Trapani, Sicily: I had rented a car with Avis but Scott decided he’d rather not drive up to Erice and just follow the route everyone else seemed to be taking, which was either the bus or taxi to the cable car and the cable car up. He called Avis and canceled with no problem and then we thought we would exit the ship and have no problems finding the taxi stand or bus that the destinations services guide aboard ship told us or led us to believe was pretty much just down the street. Well, we walked down the street quite a ways and never saw a taxi stand or bus. Well, we saw perhaps two busses all day and neither one was a number she told us we would have needed. We had a couple different maps and somehow found a taxi stand, though I’m pretty sure it was not the one we were looking for. It was not a taxi stand with waiting taxis so we were a tad confused for a good 5 minutes. I finally decided to go in the little office and ask about a taxi. The girl was very sweet and said she would call us a taxi and it would take us to the cable car.

Within minutes the taxi arrived and in about 10 more minutes we were at the cable car. The destinations services person told us it would cost about 20 euros but it was something like 11.60 and when Scott was trying to find the change to pay our driver he told us 10 was enough. He also gave Scott his card and told us (in English/Italian) to call him when we were back. I think the cable car (there and back – one ticket) was 6 – 7 euros – you put the side in without the hole in it to make it work. It was much, much cooler in Erice, which after the past few days felt wonderful. There was a bit of a rain shower as well but we had brought the (large) umbrella that was in our cabin. We walked around Erice, taking in the sites and strolling in and out of the little shops. We also purchased the 5 euro a person “Friendly Walk Around” tour site pass in the first site we came to which was the remains of a very old monastery. I’m not exactly sure it was worth the 5 euros, but it gave us a path to follow and some direction for our time there. We stopped for lunch a little after noon and had a delicious pasta lunch. The menu was all in Italian so we just had to guess as to what the different dishes were from the descriptions – doing our own translations of words that sounded familiar. We then went back down by cable car. Had the weather been better I think we would have spent more time walking around because there were more things to see.

Scott called the taxi guy before we boarded the cable car and he arrived at the bottom about 15 minutes after we did. I’m not really sure what we would have done had we not had his card. He then drove us back to the ship for a little less than 12 euros and we were so happy to not have to worry about how to get back that we gave him 20 and told him to keep the change. He was very happy – shaking Scott’s hand and kissing mine! We’re thinking that we must have misunderstood the directions because I really don’t think it should have been that difficult. I think many people walked around Trapani very near the ship but we just chose to come back on the ship and relax.

Sorrento: Sorrento is a tender port and once again, the tendering process went very smoothly. We were in the Regatta lounge at 9:00, picked up our tender tickets and were on a tender within minutes. I had arranged for a driver (Jack the driver) to pick us up and bring us to Positano for the day. Pickup time was 10:00 but he was there waiting for us at 9:30 so off we went. Positano is Scott’s favorite place in the world, which is why we were heading there. We also love the pottery/ceramics from that area. So, we first went to a ceramics factory and purchased a small round table (to sit between two outdoor rocking chairs). We were able to pick out the pattern and our names will be added to it as well – with it arriving in October. Our driver then brought us into Positano and let us wander around for a little over an hour. We wandered the very narrow streets (filled with tourists and tiny little cars) and made our way down to the water – taking lots of pictures along the way. After that he took us to La Tagliata, where I had asked to go for lunch. It sits very high up on the mountain with unbelievable views and delicious food. There are no menus – you just sit down and they start bringing you food – everyone gets the same thing. We had a variety of appetizers – an eggplant dish, thinly sliced meat with fresh mozzarella, two kinds of a bean dish, another dish with potato, zucchini and something else, spinach, green peppers and broccoli and bruschetta. Then they brought a plate of pasta dishes to share – ravioli, gnocchi, pasta with eggplant and a type of cannelloni. And then a plate of fruit and a plate of 4 different desserts. They also brought a bottle of water and a bottle of red wine (in which we drank almost the whole thing). The total cost was 25 euros a person. Our driver than brought us back into Sorrento where the tender was waiting. A lovely day.

Sardinia: I really can’t comment on our stop here because we just decided to stay on the ship and read and relax by the pool. There are supposed to be some beautiful beaches that I think many people headed to, but other than that, that’s about it. There was a free shuttle bus running from the ship into town but from what we heard from some other passengers there really wasn’t anything to see or do there.

Rome: We shared a ride into Rome with another couple and a very nice man and his grandson from our roll call board. We arrived at our hotel, the Albergo Cesari, around 10:30. We were very happy with the hotel – it had a great location, good sized room, breakfast on the rooftop terrace, and great air conditioning. It was about a 5 minute walk from both the Trevi Fountain and The Pantheon. It was about 10 minutes or so to the Piazza Navona and around 20’ish minutes to the Roman Forum. We stored our luggage and picked up a map – that just about every other person walking around Rome was holding.

We spent 3 days in Rome ten years ago and toured all the main sites then. We had booked a catacombs and crypts tour that began at 2:30, so we had some time to just wander around. We first went to the Trevi Fountain and had some gelato. We then walked to a church that I cannot remember the name of but it was originally built as a bath house. You needed to have your shoulders covered to walk around, which I had forgotten about (and forgotten a scarf) so I just stayed in the narthex type area and Scott walked around. While I was standing there I couldn’t believe how many women disregarded the sign showing that their shoulders needed to be covered and walked right in. I felt so bad for the old(er) Italian lady, who looked to be a volunteer to me, trying to tell them that they shouldn’t be doing that. She was quite in a tizzy and I can’t say that I blamed her. We then stopped somewhere for lunch – pizza and then made our way to the piazza (started with a “B”) to begin our tour.

There were about 25 people on the tour with two tour guides. We boarded a motor coach bus and brought to the first catacomb about 10 – 15 minutes outside the city center. The catacombs were similar to those in Malta but fascinating nonetheless. We were told there are enough catacombs that if you laid them out in a line they would go from Rome to Florence. We then went to a church with catacombs below the main level of the church. And then pretty much back to where we started to see the crypts of a Fransican Church. This was rather creepy to me because they were made completely from priest’s bones. Overall the tour was very good and something we had not seen/done before.

We then strolled back to our hotel going in a few stores along the way. We then checked in and rested/cooled off in our room for a bit before heading back out for dinner.

On our full day we first had breakfast on the rooftop, which was very good. We first headed to the Pantheon and then made our way to the Roman Forum. We toured the forum, though I must admit that I was getting rather hot and tired and had just about had my fill of ruins for some time – and we had toured the Roman Forum ten years ago. We then walked past the colleseum – having gone in before – and the lines were SO long. On our way back to our hotel we stopped for a quick sandwich and some gelato and made our way to a great little leather shop we had gone in the day before to get a couple more things.

Once again, after resting and cooling off, we walked over to the piazza at the Pantheon and had drinks and a snack and then later that night walked to the Piazza Navona and had one last delicious meal there.

Spa: After three days of walking in Ephesus, down all those steps in Santorini and then up and down to see the Acropolis in Athens I was ready for some type of spa treatment on our sea day. I waited to make an appointment until the afternoon of the day before and things certainly fill up quickly. My only time choices were 8 am for the Ohana Circulation Polish (50 minutes at $159) and 5:00 pm for the Canyon Stone Pedicure (80 minutes at $135). Yes, the polish was overpriced but it felt wonderful and I enjoyed it, so I considered it money well spent.

High Tea: Every day in the Horizons lounge from 4 – 5. Just pick any table and someone will come over with a large box of different teas to choose from. Then there is also a dessert cart where you can choose some treats and someone else walking around with a variety of little “tea” sandwiches, all while the string quartet plays. It was very nice and very popular.

Entertainment on board: We went to the first cast show called “Maestro” on the day we left Istanbul. The four members of the Regatta cast were quite impressive. We both thought they all got better the more they sang and harmonized quite well together. We did not go to the evening of comedy/song with our cruise director Nolan Dean but we heard many people say it was a fun evening and he was very entertaining. We also went to the cast’s second and final shows – “Hot Vegas Nights” and show tunes (can’t remember the exact title). They were both fun.

We attended a wine tasting on our second day and thought it was a very good value - $15 a person. There were about 40 or so people that participated and we were each given 4 wines (two red, two white) and one taste of champagne. There was also a plate of crackers and cheese for every two people. The head sommelier was very knowledge though his assistant, though pleasant was not quite as assured of herself. They were very generous with their pours and would have gladly given anymore more of anything they wanted.

We also attended two lectures from guest lecturer Terry Bishop. These were very well attended and he was an engaging speaker in every way.

Overall we couldn't have been more pleased with our choice of sailing on the Regatta and would love to cruise with Oceania again in the future.

Enjoyed reading your review. Looks like you had a wonderful cruise. DH and I have been to all of the same ports also on Regatta but in October when the weather was not so hot.

We differ on one thing. I thought that the Topkapi Palace was quite a wonderful place. The little rooms were filled with so many beautiful jewels. It is good that the guides are not allowed to go into the rooms. It would be very noisy with so many people talking. The rooms are rather small. Did your guide take you right through to see over the water and all of the gardens that are there? I thought that was wonderful.

I, like you, made sure that I had Turkish Lira when we went. I had to make a special order as it is not held at the bank. However, when we got to Istanbul, they only wanted US dollars or Euro. At the bazzar they did not even want to give prices in Turkish Lira. This was about 5 years ago. I therefore brought all of my Turkish Lira home.

By the way, DH and I also took the steps down at Santorini. It was quite a walk and I was also tired from walking around the donkey droppings.

Thank you again for letting me revisit all of those wonderful ports through your review.

Thank you for your peerless review. I devoured every word, as we are following a very similar itinerary in three weeks time, even spending four nights at the Nena! Also enjoyed your photos.

Many thanks.

Thanks so much. I made sure to type up my thoughts every day, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to remember everything when we got back. Hunding, you should be very pleased with the Hotel Nena. It was in such a great location. Oceansandseas, I don't think we saw the area you described - "over the wall and all the gardens." Sounds like we missed something special. The only place in Turkey in which they did not show prices or tell us prices in Turkish lira was at the port in Kusadasi. Also, we were very fortunate when walking down the steps in Santorini because there was hardly any donkey droppings. Happy traveling!

We differ on one thing. I thought that the Topkapi Palace was quite a wonderful place. The little rooms were filled with so many beautiful jewels. It is good that the guides are not allowed to go into the rooms. It would be very noisy with so many people talking. The rooms are rather small. Did your guide take you right through to see over the water and all of the gardens that are there? I thought that was wonderful.

I snipped a lot here because I just wanted to comment on Topkapi.

We were there in February 2000 after a Renaissance cruise on the R5 (now Nautica). We hired a licensed guide as we entered Topkapi. It turned out that he had been a guide at Topkapi until he had a stroke and had to retire. But he couldn't quit working because he had a young family (he appeared to be in his 60s) with children to put through college.

Since he had worked at the museum he knew all the guards and they let him in with us. Now, we were a group of four which is rather different than a group of 10 or more. Even though the rules said that he couldn't come in with us, he did ... back then nobody used the audio systems that guides seem to use universally now. But we could hear him even when he spoke very quietly because we were on top of him. It was MUCH better than getting a description outside.

It was great for us, and he was a fabulous guide. He quoted a price for an hour's tour but gave us two hours, and only wanted to charge us for the one hour. Not that we would let him do that...

Sometimes you luck out.

Mura

Thanks for a phenomenal review. It brought back wonderful memories of ports previously visited and stirred thoughts about visiting Malta and Sicily. We will be returning to Istanbul, Kusadasi, and Athens next summer on our Black Sea cruise and appreciated reading about how you spent your time there. Since we have been to these three ports before, I was trying to come up with something different to do. Thanks for sharing how you spent your time. We, too, have booked a guide in Istanbul, but will be focusing that day on Jewish Istanbul. I also hope to take a cooking class there. Your food-themed walking tour in Athens sounds great; I will have to look into that.

Harriet

Just one more thing that I thought of. I made sure to write postcards to my kids (16, 18 and 20) and two little kiddos from my class (I teach preschool) every day and I would diligently bring them to the reception desk to be mailed. Well, turns out they hold them till you arrive in your final destination and mail them all then. I know it's not a big deal, but I would have thought someone might have mentioned this to me.

Michelle

Archived