Isn't Anyone Else Upset

geekguy1

I'm not sure what we will do when we chose to book another cruise. Right now we have one booked for next March and have been promised a $100 OBC. Along with that, he always sends a really nice fruit, wine and cheese basket to our room from Bon Voyage. I am under the assumption since I have this in writing that he will follow through with this promise that's in our paperwork.

Actually, our next cruise more than likely will be another cruise line so it won't even matter. I'm tired of Carnival's tightening of their ropes and changing things (taking away two of their parties) even after a cruise has been booked. I'd understand changing policies on new bookings, but to stop certain procedures/perks after bookings is just rude. So that rudeness in itself has left me with a bad taste....and we haven't even been on this upcoming cruise yet.:rolleyes:

Actually, our next cruise more than likely will be another cruise line so it won't even matter. I'm tired of Carnival's tightening of their ropes and changing things (taking away two of their parties) even after a cruise has been booked. I'd understand changing policies on new bookings, but to stop certain procedures/perks after bookings is just rude. So that rudeness in itself has left me with a bad taste....and we haven't even been on this upcoming cruise yet.:rolleyes:

Just my opinion .. but losing a perk is probably easier to take than changing the smoking policies on already booked cruises. The lady Im with this Nov on Conquest .. when we booked, the smoking policies were different than they are now .. way tighter.

Yes, it has bothered me a little bit because we always got about $25 OBC, but the way I look at it is I cruise on any cruise line I choose so if it bothered me that much I would go to another cruise line. I live close to Galveston so for "more inexpensive" cruises we usually go with Carnival but next June we are on RCCL Oasis. I did not let it change my cruising habits in any way. If I did get mad and stop using Carnival I would be the loser, Carnival would not miss me.

Just my opinion .. but losing a perk is probably easier to take than changing the smoking policies on already booked cruises. The lady Im with this Nov on Conquest .. when we booked, the smoking policies were different than they are now .. way tighter.

I've not shopped for perks, so won't miss them.

I know the feeling about policies changing after booking. It happened to me on Liberty banning it on lido with no forewarning.

Since I wont book ES I will miss not getting OBC from my TA but since Im getting $400 for upcoming cruises on NCL at prices cheaper than CCL

I guess It might be a while till I have to expeience it:D.

Don't know if it's correct, but my TA told me that Celebrity, Disney and Royal Caribbean have had this for policy years. Someone else who has dealt with those lines might be able to confirm?

I know Disney has TAs who heavily discount with OBC.

RCL too last I checked, not sure about Celebrity as my TA discounts another way.

I have always done the work and told her exactly what we wanted.

The problem is they are doing this parttime and several times we saw an upgrade we wanted and it took them 24 hours or more to respond and in once case no longer available.

As a result if not monetary savings better to deal direct and be able to speak to someone at any time.

My PVP at Carnival is only an order taker. Sometimes it's days before I get a return call, and he never calls with ideas or specials. My first PVP was outstanding, then there was a revolving door of 3 different ones. At least I've this guy for 2 years now.

I have always done the work and told her exactly what we wanted.

The problem is they are doing this parttime and several times we saw an upgrade we wanted and it took them 24 hours or more to respond and in once case no longer available.

As a result if not monetary savings better to deal direct and be able to speak to someone at any time.

I agree, I have 400 obc that I have built up and none of it is showing on my cruise docs we sail in 26 days and I cannot call Carnival to take care of it, due to booking with a TA it is agrivating. I too know exactly what I am booking and will probably go with a PVP too.

Our TA used t ogive us obc for 50-100 depending upon how much the cabin cost was. This was a rebate from their commission and used this to get additional business.

Not thrilled about it but not bothered enugh to stop cruising with Carnival.

Will probably make me decide to go direct to Carnival pvp and stop using TA though.

That last sentence is precisely why they did it. All the fluff about larger TA's benefitting at the expense of smaller TA's is just that: BS!

Read on CC that the TA commission is 16%. Can you conceive of an easier way to increase the corporate bottom line than to implement policies that make Carnival's direct bookings equally attractive as the TA market's?

Don't know if it's correct, but my TA told me that Celebrity, Disney and Royal Caribbean have had this for policy years. Someone else who has dealt with those lines might be able to confirm?

I just discussed this new policy with my TA today. TA's can still give incentives, but can only give items that are sold on Carnivals Web site. i.e., wine, drink tickets, etc. I always opt for the wine anyway.

RCCL still allows TA's to give OBC. TA's have a rebate guide given to them by RCCL -- 2-5 day cruises, up to $50 OBC; 6-9 day cruises, up to $150 OBC & 10 day & over cruises up to $200. They can give more, but have to explain why they have given more to RCCL.

This was discussed and debated at length in July when the new policy came out.

There are many opinions of course.

I for one enjoy the OBC I receive from my TA. If you have not received OBC you may not care about this new policy at all. I do as this is a loss to me. I don't feel Carnival has the right to tell a TA what they can give me.

This is clearly to help Carnival's bottom line. (Nothing to do with helping TAs.)

I thoroughly agree with you that this is a ploy to increase Carnival's profit at the expense of both TAs and their customers. I also agree that Carnival has no right to tell a TA how to conduct their business, which is why I filed an FTC complaint for Restraint of Trade issues against them and also requested that my Representatives in Congress look into the matter. Any amount of trouble I can cause Carnival is worthwhile.

Finally, while this may have been discussed before, bringing it up again keeps it in front of potential customers, who hopefully will choose more customer-friendly cruise companies with whom to travel.

I guess not. Our TA never gave us "cash rebates." I never expected them. Now all TAs will have to earn your business by giving better, more knowledgable service. I like the fun friendly service we get from our TA.

It cracks me up when people say this...like you'd refuse a couple hundred (or more) from a TA...

OH and I get friendly service too!;)

I thoroughly agree with you that this is a ploy to increase Carnival's profit at the expense of both TAs and their customers. I also agree that Carnival has no right to tell a TA how to conduct their business, which is why I filed an FTC complaint for Restraint of Trade issues against them and also requested that my Representatives in Congress look into the matter. Any amount of trouble I can cause Carnival is worthwhile.

Finally, while this may have been discussed before, bringing it up again keeps it in front of potential customers, who hopefully will choose more customer-friendly cruise companies with whom to travel.

This is not about Carnival's profits ......they get the same amount of fare $$$$$s for a cruise whether a TA gives a $50 credit or not.

Carnival has every right to regulate how it's product is sold and represented. And there is no Restraint of Trade here. I think Carnival has a strong reason to do what they are doing .........prohibition of kickbacks.

And as to "Carnival has no right to tell a TA how to conduct their business" .....Carnival can tell them that they have no permission to sell their product.

In today's world who needs TAs anyway, all the info is right at your fingertips, just click

No, not all. It will only show you ten available cabins online. If you are cruising with a group of people and want to book five cabins in a row, you have to do each one individually. While you are trying to book the five cabins, someone else takes some of them. If you call and try to book them, they expect you to put the down payment on all five of them. If you book through a TA, they call, put a hold on the five cabins, then each couple sends in their downpayment. We would never think of booking ES. Too many restrictions. If there is a price drop before final payment, TA always honors it.

I tried a PVP once and she was bound and determined to get me to book a guarantee instead of a specific cabin. She said people were crazy for not booking guarantee. After arguing for five minutes, she finally let me book what I wanted. I then told her there were four other couples that wanted the next four cabins from ours. She said I would have to put the down payment on them to hold them. I hung up and immediately called our TA and had ours transferred to her. She got a hold put on the other four cabins. I will never deal with them either through a PVP or online.

Our TA used t ogive us obc for 50-100 depending upon how much the cabin cost was. This was a rebate from their commission and used this to get additional business.

Not thrilled about it but not bothered enugh to stop cruising with Carnival.

Will probably make me decide to go direct to Carnival pvp and stop using TA though.

I think this is the reason CCL decided to implement this policy. It certainly isn't to "help" the little TAs bcause CCL's job is to make mone for it's own company, not help anyone else.

For the few lost CCL excursions that TAs purchased for clients before....the many more people going straight to CCL to book will far outweigh the loss!

Am I the only one really upset at Carnival's new "Value Add" (!!) policy that no longer allows travel agents to provide cash rebates for cruisers like me that neither need, nor wish to pay for, hand-holding or extra services? As far as I'm concerned, my previous Carnival cruise was both my first and my last. How consumer unfriendly can you be?

No.

Archived