DIY from Marseille to Aix-en-provence; language barrier?

allycruise2012

I'm hoping to get some advice/expertise from those of you that have done this before! We are thinking of DIYing our port day in Marseille and heading up to Aix-en-Provence. From the research I've done so far, it seems like this will be fairly easy - shuttle from the ship to Old Port in Marseille and then walk to the bus station to get the #50 bus to Aix, which comes every 10 minutes or so. Does that sound right?

The one thing I'm a bit worried about is that neither me or DH knows a word of french. We're hoping to learn a few phrases and will have some resources with us to look up words/phrases as we go, but will there be a huge language barrier for us if we are trying to eat lunch in a restaurant there? Is some english spoken, or none at all? I've already been having troubles just trying to look up the bus schedules... google translate can only get you so far!

TIA

It is hit and miss. Just spent 25 days in 4 countries (2 languages) in Europe. English is technically the language of the EU, so many signs, ATMs and other places have English on them, as well as very recognizable international symbols.

On the flip side, we learned some basics for ordering, buying tickets, etc. Just the polite thing to do.

Oddly enough the only place we had any trouble with ordering was at the D-day beaches, ordering lunch one day. This is perhaps the most English speaking tourist area in France. But not one word from our resturant owner, and even when we spoke broken French, our order morphed from two ham panini to a four cheese pizza. Believe me, in French or English, those two aren't even close.

Here is your French lession. Just learn to pronounce "Bonjour" and "Merci" and also practice these words with a smile! We have spent months driving all over France and always greeting anyone (in a shop, restaurant, etc) with a bonjour will take you a long way. You are going to find that many of the French speak some English (especially those who deal with the tourists) and menus in most cafes/restaurants will be available in multiple languages including English. The French understand that most folks do not speak their language but they really appreciate those who at least show a little respect by using a few words. For example, instead of asking a man if he speaks English simply say "Parlez-vous Anglais, Mousieur?" It may not seem like much but it can go a long way to breaking the ice.

You may also feel some confidence knowing that plenty of others in Aix en Provence will speak about as much French as you do :)

Hank

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. We're planning on learning some phrases, but it's nice to know that we'll likely be able to find someone that speaks enough broken English/can understand our bad French if we are lost and hopeless in the middle of France! :)

It'd get a phrase book. The Berlitz pocket one is decent (and I have very basic fluency in French). The tourist places may have menus in English but anything outside the tourist areas, very likely not. While there may be schooling in English (and other languages), most French students have the same enthusiasm for foreign languages as students elsewhere. What they learned is consigned to the back bins of the mind.

It'd get a phrase book. The Berlitz pocket one is decent (and I have very basic fluency in French). The tourist places may have menus in English but anything outside the tourist areas, very likely not. While there may be schooling in English (and other languages), most French students have the same enthusiasm for foreign languages as students elsewhere. What they learned is consigned to the back bins of the mind.

You gave me an excuse to tell one of our favorite France stories. A few years ago DW and I were spending a few days in Paris and went to a good restaurant for dinner. DW and I have both studied French in school which means we do not speak a word...but can at least read some of the language. When the waiter came to our table DW took her time and very carefully ordered her entire meal in school French as the waiter stood patiently. When she was finished the waiter looked at her, hesitated a few seconds, and then in perfect King's English said, "Madame, do you speak English?" DW quickly asked him "why?" The waiter then responded, "because Madame, you speak terrible French!" This story is absolutely true and one of the reasons we love traveling in France.

Hank

I'm hoping to get some advice/expertise from those of you that have done this before! We are thinking of DIYing our port day in Marseille and heading up to Aix-en-Provence. From the research I've done so far, it seems like this will be fairly easy - shuttle from the ship to Old Port in Marseille and then walk to the bus station to get the #50 bus to Aix, which comes every 10 minutes or so. Does that sound right?

The one thing I'm a bit worried about is that neither me or DH knows a word of french. We're hoping to learn a few phrases and will have some resources with us to look up words/phrases as we go, but will there be a huge language barrier for us if we are trying to eat lunch in a restaurant there? Is some english spoken, or none at all? I've already been having troubles just trying to look up the bus schedules... google translate can only get you so far!

TIA

Last minute help needed: we are going to be in Marseille on the 11th (in 3 days), and the plan to take the #50 bus to Aix sounds perfect for us... so, does it sound right? is #50 the right bus? do we use it on the way back? Thank you, I will be checking here again tomorrow night.

The #50 is certainly the most popular bus and runs as often as every 10 min during busy hours. You do need to get over to the bus station (near the St Charles Train station) to catch this bus as we do not think they have other stops closer to the old port. One tip is that if you are 65 or over they have a terrific senior rate (1 Euro) if you ask.

Hank

• 8 months later...
thank you Hlitner, this worked out perfectly! Lovely place.

I know this is an older post, but just wanted to see if you ended up taking the #50 bus both ways? Also, how did you get to the bus station in Marsielle?

Archived