Which would you choose and why?

canjay95

We are wanting to take a short cruise in May with the kids. My parents live in Tampa so we would like to leave from there, but it's not a deal breaker. After researching prices, we have narrowed it down to The Carnival Paradise (5 day) out of Tampa that goes to Grand Caymen and Cozumel, the 4 day Enchantment of the Seas, out of Port Canaveral,which goes to Nassau and Coco Key or the 5 day Ecstasy, out of PC that goes to the Bahamas and Key West. We just got off the Destiny in July and loved it. There needs to be a lot for the kids to do. Anyone have any insights? The RC ship is very reasonable and includes pre-paid gratuities, but I was worried about the cabins being super tiny.

Easy to look up.. Carnival's insides are 185 and so are the OVs on that class. Paradise has no balconys.. but Carnival hung balconys on some OVs in the back of Ecstasy off the hull, so they are also 185 s.f. inside.

So insides and OVs are larger on Carnival and balconys are larger on Enchantment.. what cabin type are you looking at?

this is enchantment.. not as cut and dried as Carnival .. a older ship, so insides and OVs are on the small size.

Superior Balcony

Two twin beds that convert to queen-size, private balcony, sitting area with sofa...

Sleeps up to: 4

Avg sq ft cabin: 190

Balcony: 36

Family Oceanview

Two twin beds that covert to queen-size, additional twin bed, sitting area with...

Sleeps up to: 6

Avg sq ft cabin: 293

Pics and diagrams

F G

H I

AY

Oceanview

Two twin beds that convert to queen-size, window, private bath with shower, vanity...

Avg sq ft cabin: 154

Pics and diagrams

FI K

L M

N Q

AZ

Interior

Two twin beds that convert to queen-size, private bath with shower, vanity area,...

Avg sq ft cabin: 146

The RC ship is very reasonable and includes pre-paid gratuities, but I was worried about the cabins being super tiny.

I wouldn't be worried. The Enchantment is replacing the Monarch which is the ship that DOES have "super tiny" cabins. In addition, the Enchantment has gone through a major upgrade so she will offer a FAR superior product than the Paradise or Ecstasy.

My choice would be

1. Enchantment
  2. Paradise
  3. Ecstasy

There's also a 4-5 night itinerary from Tampa on RCI. THAT would be my absolute first choice, but it's only offered seasonally from November to April.

Here's a video:

(It's from when the Enchantment came to Baltimore, thus the abundance of Baltimore references).

I would throw out the RC and choose between the two Carnivals. The RC itinerary seems clearly the least interesting, though a lot of people seem to like the RC ships a lot.

I see no reason not to go with the Paradise if Tampa's the most convenient port. I think most people like Cozumel. We were on the Paradise in 2010 and liked the ship just fine.

Jim

I would throw out the RC and choose between the two Carnivals. The RC itinerary seems clearly the least interesting, though a lot of people seem to like the RC ships a lot.

I see no reason not to go with the Paradise if Tampa's the most convenient port. I think most people like Cozumel. We were on the Paradise in 2010 and liked the ship just fine.

Jim

Ive actually been to the private beach, coco cay, have you?? I love the private beachs. The BBQ is free and very good. They always have ribs and the sugar free flavored enhanced waters, and slices of watermelon.. and the beach is very nice.

Many love going to a beach where the chairs and food are all free. I wouldnt call that uninteresting .. Im personally tired of cozumel lol.

I am not a fan of Nassau, but Cozumel has been my favorite port so far.

Cozumel and Nassau are interchangeable in my book. Both overcrowded with several ships calling at the same time. Both offering the same tourist trap chain stores, bars, and restaurants. Both flat and featureless (no mountains or lush foliage), Both offering the same type of shore excursions.

At least the Bahamas itinerary includes Coco Cay, RCI's private island. that destination alone makes it completely worth it! Little piece of heaven on Earth!:D

We were looking at two inside cabins for our family of five. I loved HMC so I'm sure I would love Coco Cay as well. Been to Cozumel and did Mr. Sanchos(sans kids) and loved that too. The kids have only been on the Destiny and that itinerary this past summer which was Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau.

Before I actually give my opinion I like to ask you what is important to you on a cruise in order....ship, port, food, stateroom, entertainment? If I know this I can answer it much better. I also need to know what type of stateroom would you be choosing as well as will you be dining in the pay specialty restaurants and how old are your children?

I much perfer RCI for all the food (I can answer questions if you have any), entertainment and service, RCI wins to me in a heartbeat! We also love sitting in the viking crown lounge that has views 180 degrees!

Carnivals staterooms are a little bit larger but you have to weigh which is more important to you is it the rooms the ship the food the entertainment...?

I believe the Paradise was last refurbished in 09 as also the Ectasy...the Enchantment of the Seas recently underwent a major refurbishment and they added many things to her. She is replacing the Monarch of the Seas which has the smallest of all staterooms along with her sister ship Majesty of the Seas. RCI has larger pools and they are fresh water, Carnival small pools and salt water.

About the ports:

Grand Cayman one of my favorite islands my best excursion there is Stringray City and love Seven Mile Beach, its a very very safe island.

Cozumel my favorite excursion was the Mexican Cuisine Cooking Class but you have kids so I have to suggest maybe Chanakaab Park but to me its nothing special only because I live in Florida and the beaches here where I live are better. Cozumel is alot of souvenier shopping its probably one of the better ports if your interested in this, other than this Cozumel is totally boring to us.

Nassau well is Nassau I can recommend buyng a day pass and using the facilities in the Atlantis Hotel in Paradise Island a very short inexpensive cab ride you be there within 6 minutes. The kids can go banana boating again not sure of their ages so won't go more into things to do. You can do a horse and buggy ride where the tour guide show you the major sites of Nassau again not much to do here.

Coco Cay love it love it love it, I prefer the cruise ships private islands always nice beautiful beaches, water, foilage really nice. But it is just a beach place they do offer you parasailing, kyaking, paddleboats, wave runners etc. Its very relaxing.

Key West is just Key west, shops and bars and bars just a very handful of famous historical places to see really not worth going to my opinion.

Again if you can answer my questions I first asked I can give you better idea to other things...right now I choose:

Enchangment of the Seas

Paradise

Ectasy

Another thing you need to consider extra day on cruise with Carnival.

My choice would be the Paradise out of Tampa:

- Grand Cayman and Cozumel are better ports for things to do, IMHO. Our (then) teenage daughter LOVED swimming withthe sting rays in GC.

- Tampa is the easiest port to embark/debark, again IMO. Port Canaveral is my second-favorite port, though.

Either way, though -- you know you'll have a blast! :)

Ive actually been to the private beach, coco cay, have you?? I love the private beachs. The BBQ is free and very good. They always have ribs and the sugar free flavored enhanced waters, and slices of watermelon.. and the beach is very nice.

Many love going to a beach where the chairs and food are all free. I wouldnt call that uninteresting .. Im personally tired of cozumel lol.

Yes, I have been to Coco Cay. Our first cruise went there and, while I have fond memories of the overall experience, I found the "private" beach not so private feeling after the tenders deposited more than 1,000 people onto it. It's like we brought our own crowd. And having never been to Cozumel, I find it appealing.

And Nassau, for us anyway, was shopping in that gigantic, swarming market and a snorkel trip that was the worst out of about 25 that I've been on in my life.

But to each his/her own. What's uninteresting to me might be fascinating to someone else.

Jim

Archived