Yes! Military Discount!

rburns44

Was able to book the Liberty for Western 6 nts 11/20/05. I am the widow of a serviceman and asked if Military discount applied. TA said yes to the tune of $350 off a balcony! My sister who has never cruised is going with me. I am happy!

Becky

• 2 months later...

I had some concerns about the military discount; mainly how far in advance you had to book and if it would be offered during peak times (summer).

I just off the phone with a very good PVP from Carnival and we were able to get a great discount on a balcony room on the Valor for 6-25-06. We would have saved about $500, but he was able to put us in an extended balcony room for the same price so that savings is almost $700.00.

Kudos to Carnival for offering these military discounts! My only advice would be to book early because they are limited and I would think they sell out quickly. I know on our last cruise (Victory) we only booked it about 2 months out and there were no military discounts for a balcony at that time.

Now the search for airfare begins :mad: .

John

Yes, Carnival's military discount is fantastic!

Our January Destiny cruise will be our first with Carnival. However, with the $600 discount they are giving me, I am a big fan already.

If the program continues, I may not look back at Celebrity or RCCL......

Kudos to Carnival for offering these military discounts! My only advice would be to book early because they are limited and I would think they sell out quickly.

Ditto to the kudos - we saved $500 on our 8B balcony on the Conquest and I am a veteran, not a retiree or current armed forces member.

I just found out Friday that Carnival was offering this special discount!

I was thrilled to find and book a balcony cabin on Glory for next month at a very good fare, and even happier to find an affordable Spring Break trip for me and my young DGS next March on Fantasy.

I am an active-duty widow and I very, very much appreciate that Carnival is providing these opportunities for the Military Family.

KUDOS, CARNIVAL!

We just booked the Valor for the week after Thanksgiving using the Military discount! And, we were able to get the same rate for another couple who will be going with us! It's a great thing for Carnival to do and for us it was a deal too good to pass up. :)

My DH served in the Air Force from 1982-1988. No "active duty" but he did a great job protecting the beer gardens of West Germany from the Red Threat.:D

Does the military discount only apply to active duty or current military? If not what documentation (DD2-something-something) do we need?

My TA told me the discount expired on July 31st. I can't say if this is true or not, he's not the best on his advice.

We did book our cruise on the Valor last week tho and DH & I saved $500 on our room. We got an outside assigned cabin for less than the inside cabin across the hall where our girls will be staying. My DH is an Air Force Veteran and you have to send/fax in a copy of your DD214(I think that's the number). It's the honorable discharge paperwork.

From what I understand, a discount may or may not be available on your cruise. They have so many cabins that they release for this, when they are gone...they are gone.

......Does the military discount only apply to active duty or current military? If not what documentation (DD2-something-something) do we need?

It also applies to veterans with 2 years of active duty. You need to fax them a copy of DD form 214, if you can't find your copy here is a link to get a replacement:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

I think the promo that ended July 31 was for the "friends and families" discount that allowed you to buy additional cabins for the military rate. It didn't work for us because we are sailing in April 2006 and it goes thru March. We're still happy with our $500 discount on our room tho, even tho the girls' room wasn't discounted.

Carnival Offers Military Families Discounted Rates

July 1-31, 2005

Through a new month-long promotion from Carnival Cruise Lines, active and retired military personnel can book up to three "Fun Ship" staterooms at special discounted rates starting at just $209 per person. Reservations must be made during the month of July to qualify for the promotion, which is available in conjunction with a variety of three- to eight-day "Fun Ship" departures between Sept. 15, 2005, and March 31, 2006.

Rates for three-day cruises start at $209 per person based on double occupancy; four-day cruises $229 per person; five-day cruises $289 per person; seven-day cruises $349 per person; and eight-day cruises $499 per person.

"This new promotion offers military personnel an opportunity to enjoy a ‘Fun Ship' cruise with their friends and families at special discounted rates. It's Carnival's way of showing our thanks and appreciation to the men and women of the armed forces who bravely serve our country," said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Promotion is capacity controlled and not applicable with any other discount offer. Valid for individual bookings only. Promotion is based on category 4A (interior) staterooms and does not include government fees or taxes.

Military personnel must be a member of the traveling party to qualify for the special rate. Fare code CPM3 must be requested during the reservations process. Proof of active military service required. Certain restrictions apply.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/news/c_news.asp

We got the military discount also. I was able to get a OV on the Empress deck of the Sensation for $259pp for a 5-day cruise. My wife thought I was nuts for booking another cruise when we had not gone on the one scheduled for Sept. The PVP I spoke to was very helpful and I was able to get a better cabin and price than going through my usual TA.

Carnival had expanded the program from Active, Reserve, Retired to also include veterans who have served honorably for a least two years. You just had to send in a copy of your DD214 and DL as proof. Unfortunetely for those just learning about it, the program ended July 31st.

I beleive Carnival always has discounts for Military. But they also have "Special Military Specials" like the one above. We booked our 10/9 cruise on the elation back in March and saved over $500 for OV.:D Then two months later the price went down which saved us another $200!:) You can't beat a cruise for two for less than $900.:D If fact we paid more for our DD 4 night summer trip to cancun than we did for both me and DH 7 night cruise.:rolleyes: Ya gotta love it................:p

• 2 weeks later...
It also applies to veterans with 2 years of active duty. You need to fax them a copy of DD form 214, if you can't find your copy here is a link to get a replacement:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

Thanks so much for that link. My DH is a veteran but got out in 1994. We are looking at the Sensation in March. I spoke to a PVP last week and told her that we had some active duty and retirees traveling with us. She actually told me that as long as we booked one of them in each of the cabins, we could all get the rate for March. I am requesting the separation papers anyway so we don;t have to go through the hassels of changing rooms when we get there. Thanks!!

We got the military discount also. I was able to get a OV on the Empress deck of the Sensation for $259pp for a 5-day cruise. My wife thought I was nuts for booking another cruise when we had not gone on the one scheduled for Sept. The PVP I spoke to was very helpful and I was able to get a better cabin and price than going through my usual TA.

Carnival had expanded the program from Active, Reserve, Retired to also include veterans who have served honorably for a least two years. You just had to send in a copy of your DD214 and DL as proof. Unfortunetely for those just learning about it, the program ended July 31st.

I booked our Aug 27th cruise in mid Feb. of this year. Same room as you but it was cheaper not taking the military discount:cool: Hmm, cant figure that one. WE got 5 ppl in an OV 5 day (I know, tight quarters) for $1800.

People keep saying the program ended July 31, but I don't think that's true. I think it was just the special Friends and Family promotion for military that ended then.

I just talked to my PVP today and we had a long discussion about the military discount program, he didn't say it had ended (although we were discussing it in the context of our reservation, which was made back in June).

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I just spoke to a PVP on Saturday, August 13, and we were given the military discount. It is not a friends and family discount but as long as you have someone with a military ID in each room, that cabin can get the discount.

It also applies to former weekend warriors like myself.

FYI to any Fellow Devildogs out there: the USMC stopped sending DD-214s to the national archives right after 9/11. They're keeping the newer ones at HQ in Quantico now. If you got out in the last 3 or 4 years and need a DD-214, Quantico probably has it.

Semper Fi Crabbit,

I put my time in the USMC back in the early 80's

3 years active 80-83 (CA, AZ, Okinawa, Korea, Philippines, Diego Garcia)

4 months active reserve 83 (Baton Rouge)

Called back for one month of active service 84 and 86. (CA, Japan, Korea)

The rest of the time on inactive reserve until the contract ended in 1986.

Took my first cruise on the USS Frederick from Okinawa to Korea. Here is a photo of how rough it got. Being a flat bottomed ship didnt help.

Dave

frederick.jpg.cabe9090154151a6cb53986402907c1a.jpg

Carnival has been offering a Military Discount in some form or fashion for a long time. It was available to us when webooked our 1st cruise in 1998. We've been able to use it for all 5 of our Carnival cruises. I think it's a great program and I wish other lines would follow suit.

I just changed our booking today for our 2006 July 4th cruise... we were booked for the Inspiration 4 day - until I called CCL inquiring about rates for the Glory... WOW, I have never seen a rate reduction THIS LARGE due to Military rates. The discount was close to $550 PER PERSON !!! So the two of us are saving a BUNDLE.

Yes, they definitely have limited cabins at the military rate, and as the selection dwindles, the price rises. A few cruises ago, I called a few weeks before I finally booked and was given a very good rate... called again a couple of weeks later... the rate changed (up)... I finally called back and booked - there were NO MORE cabins at the Military rate. Unfortunately that was the only time that I ended up being able to sail... and foot-dragging me did not LOCK IN the rate (w/deposit) early on... Live and learn!!!

Tom

Archived