CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

have a go, and i will enter on the rosetta stone.

and if someone wishes to stop serving, which stops income, that's their choice. talking, however, shouldn't affect their ability to keep working.

except issac, but he seemed to man every bar on the ship.

Sorry I was out for awhile

So bartenders should be robots and not speak to customers ? If someone who is not a customer walks to the bar and asks directions should the bartender just ignore them and walk away ?

So at 9AM(or 12AM) when the bar is empty they make that same $60 per hour

When we are at port and the ship is empty $60 per hour

The bartenders who work the showroom and no one drinks makes $60 per hour

The service bartender who makes all those drinks of the day and swipes all those cards and waits on the bar as well makes $60 per hour

H8 you should stick with things your good at like removing tips or other things you know as facts :)

Sorry I was out for awhile

So bartenders should be robots and not speak to customers ? If someone who is not a customer walks to the bar and asks directions should the bartender just ignore them and walk away ?

So at 9AM(or 12AM) when the bar is empty they make that same $60 per hour

When we are at port and the ship is empty $60 per hour

The bartenders who work the showroom and no one drinks makes $60 per hour

The service bartender who makes all those drinks of the day and swipes all those cards and waits on the bar as well makes $60 per hour

H8 you should stick with things your good at like removing tips or other things you know as facts :)

as senior bartender, i only work peak hours at the hopping bars.

my gregarious personality and attentive work ethic ensures me over and above tips.

as senior bartender, i only work peak hours at the hopping bars.

my gregarious personality and attentive work ethic ensures me over and above tips.

Doubt you would be a great bartender let alone a good one.

I knew the greatest bartender you are nothing like him. People loved my dad :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I believe their salary is quite a bit less than $1 an hour. The jobs are so attractive to people from third world salaries because I'm pretty sure they are not taxed. When did you see an American, Canadian or anyone from a first world nation working as a waiter, steward etc on a cruise ship?

Many countries impose income tax on their citizens regardless of where in the world they earn it. The jobs are so attractive because they can earn much more on the ship then they can if they found a job in their home country.

Personally I don't waste my time tyring to figure out what other people make because it's really none of my business. Tipping may or may not be the best way to compensate the crew, but it is the way that the cruise lines have chosen and I am not going to punish the crew because of it. I leave the auto tips in place and know that all of the crew that are entitled to a share of it receive their due, whether I've met them or not. I do know that if I tipped 15% of my cruise fare that I would end up paying more, and I know that if the crew's salary were included in the cruise fare I would be paying more. I am therefore content with the current system, imperfect as it might be.

I am quite horrified about the amount of rudeness in this thread and I'm surprised it's still 'live'. I got so bored reading about all the kindergarten behaviour, that I might have missed some decent stuff.

Mind you, if tipping talk was banned, half the forums would be redundant!

Many countries impose income tax on their citizens regardless of where in the world they earn it. The jobs are so attractive because they can earn much more on the ship then they can if they found a job in their home country.

Personally I don't waste my time tyring to figure out what other people make because it's really none of my business. Tipping may or may not be the best way to compensate the crew, but it is the way that the cruise lines have chosen and I am not going to punish the crew because of it. I leave the auto tips in place and know that all of the crew that are entitled to a share of it receive their due, whether I've met them or not. I do know that if I tipped 15% of my cruise fare that I would end up paying more, and I know that if the crew's salary were included in the cruise fare I would be paying more. I am therefore content with the current system, imperfect as it might be.

Well said...

OK, you win. I retract my statement and agree with you that 100% of the autotip is going directly to the employees. There........feel better?

I figured that you had no idea if what what you said was true. Just your justification for not tipping.

well said

So True

I am quite horrified about the amount of rudeness in this thread and I'm surprised it's still 'live'. I got so bored reading about all the kindergarten behaviour, that I might have missed some decent stuff.

Mind you, if tipping talk was banned, half the forums would be redundant!

yep

The US is the only country on the planet that taxes its citizens for income earned abroad. That means US citizens who reside in, say France, must pay income tax to both the French and US governments.

My guess, the ship staff is paid a gross amount on both salary and tips and left to handle their own individual tax situation.

So I guess the bottom line here is no matter what the quality of service, tips should be left on.

Isn't that called salary?

Bingo....

that is what most people do not realize....

that is exactly what this is....

their SALARY.

Now I hate that this is the way mass market cruise lines handle this...

but, IF I want the privilege of cruising on them.... then I should respect the salary system they set up for their wait staff.

The US is the only country on the planet that taxes its citizens for income earned abroad. That means US citizens who reside in, say France, must pay income tax to both the French and US governments.

My guess, the ship staff is paid a gross amount on both salary and tips and left to handle their own individual tax situation.

I've checked the websites for several countries and they also impose tax on income regardless of where it is earned, so the US isn't the only country on the planet that does that.

I've checked the websites for several countries and they also impose tax on income regardless of where it is earned, so the US isn't the only country on the planet that does that.

Why respond to that post? Foreign income can be excluded from tax with the Foreign Income Exclusion deduction or be exempt in the host company by treaty. The US has treaties with 42 countries, including FRANCE.

Eritrea is the only other country that taxes income earned out of country. There is a small handful of countries that will continue to tax it's citizens after they leave the country, but only for a short period of time.... typically 6 months.

So what is wrong in raising fares to cover cost and have no tipping.

Then the staff has no incentive for better service or job performance. They get paid the same whether they do the minimum to get by or really go all out to make the passengers experience stellar.

I have never paid Carnival crew members a salary. They are not employee's of mine. However I do pay them gratuity for the wonderful service I receive.

Don't even bother. There are some clueless people who don't know the difference between a salary and gratuities.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wow I have never cancelled my auto tips, have always given more. I have a feeling with most of the people who tip in cash if they received "sub par" service they don't tip at all. I have never experienced such whiners as much as the ones on these boards. As my Mom used to say"they'd complain if they got hung with a new rope".:eek: Pony up people.

That is right and Carnival is trying to hang us with a new rope. I expect at some time they will even get a newer rope that we wont be able to get out of.

I tipped on my last crusie, but after discussions here I got rid of the auto tip. They never asked why so I did not get to tell them the about the extra $2.00 pd. or $4p state room for people who are already paid. I did ask about it and they were clear that it did not go to service personnel. I tipped my servers directly.

Then the staff has no incentive for better service or job performance. They get paid the same whether they do the minimum to get by or really go all out to make the passengers experience stellar.

But with that thought process Than most americans only do the minimum at work if they dont make tips.

If you are employed by anyone you will get an evaluation.

If they arnt doing their job they get fired or contract wont be renewed

My comments were do to raising cruise fares $300pp not tipping policies(ive cruised Princess as well)

That is not quite true. Princess pools the funds, Carnival does not. The only way someone gets the extra tips on Princess is if all their people tip the suggested amount and then they can get the extra back. They have to report cash given to them.

Our Carnival room steward said he does not have to report cash tips.

Where is the proof that this happens. I know of servers in the US who claim they do things to people who complain and cooks who mess up food that is sent back, but other that that I think most people world wide give their best effort out of pride. (except maybe in Mexico.) I have had some bad experiences there. If the job is paying them well, they will not want to lose that job. They cannot be anything better in their homeland.

Where is the proof that this happens. I know of servers in the US who claim they do things to people who complain and cooks who mess up food that is sent back, but other that that I think most people world wide give their best effort out of pride. (except maybe in Mexico.) I have had some bad experiences there. If the job is paying them well, they will not want to lose that job. They cannot be anything better in their homeland.

Wow that's an awful broad brush you painted Mexico with.

Archived