Reserve now or wait

Radelle

Hi, I'm new to the Cunard Line but not to cruising. We are making plans for next summer and decided to go back to Europe. Since we live in Brooklyn I thought going back on the QM2 would be a great idea. The only itinerary we can do is Southampton to New York on June 24. My preference is for a balcony aft on the 9th or 10th level. So my question is, should we make a reservation now or wait for a sale? I know the form answer is to make a reservation that way you get what you want. What I've been able to do is take advantage of sales before final payment so it wasn't a problem. Is it the same on the QM2. If I reserve a cabin now and the price goes down, will I be able to take advantage of it?

Well... on Deck 9 the aft facing "balconies" are the two story Q2 Duplex Suites. And Q1 Duplex.

There are no aft balconies on Deck 10.

Since there are so few, you're better to book early.

But I have a feeling these may not be what you want.

Now you could go aft.. not aft facing on Deck 10 - that would be a P1 Princess Grill.

Well... on Deck 9 the aft facing "balconies" are the two story Q2 Duplex Suites. And Q1 Duplex.

There are no aft balconies on Deck 10.

Since there are so few, you're better to book early.

But I have a feeling these may not be what you want.

Now you could go aft.. not aft facing on Deck 10 - that would be a P1 Princess Grill.

Glad I asked cause the layout is not what I'm used to and until you pointed out what was there, I was not understanding the deck layouts. So am I correct in assuming what I'm looking for in a balcony is a BD on decks 4, 5 or 6? And near the back of the ship because I worry about getting sea sick. Doesn't happen often but it has happened.

Also, I guess what I was really asking is does the TA balcony tend to sell out or can I wait?

Thanks for your help,

As you live in the US, if you book with a good travel agent you should be able to benefit from any price drops before final payment.

That's just the thing. I don't tend to use Travel agents. I check things out on line then call the company. I don't know a good one, and although I have read raves, names are not given so it does not do me any good. When I compare prices, I find online travel agencies and cruise companies quote the same amount, so I don't know how a Travel Agent might be beneficial, or find one that will keep on top of things once I work with them.

Glad I asked cause the layout is not what I'm used to and until you pointed out what was there, I was not understanding the deck layouts. So am I correct in assuming what I'm looking for in a balcony is a BD on decks 4, 5 or 6? And near the back of the ship because I worry about getting sea sick. Doesn't happen often but it has happened.

Also, I guess what I was really asking is does the TA balcony tend to sell out or can I wait?

Thanks for your help,

Hi Radelle. Since you are concerned about sea sickness, my suggestion would be to book a cabin mid-ship on deck 4 or 5. Check various on-line travel agency sites, brick and mortar travel agents, as well as calling Cunard directly. Book as soon as you find the cabin at a price that meets your needs. Check cancellation and price adjustments policy prior to booking, as those conditions do vary.

In direct answer to your question: yes, sheltered baclonies mid-ship on a trans-atlantic crossing are most desirable, so book sooner rather than later, unless you'd like to gamble that the cabin you need will be still be available later :)

Just to add: if you have selected a specific cabin, tell whomever you book with that you do not wish an upgrade: tick the DO NOT UPGRADE box. Get confirmation of your booking conditions. Best wishes, -S.

P.S. QM2 is amazingly stable - hopefully, you won't experience any mal de mar :)

That's just the thing. I don't tend to use Travel agents. I check things out on line then call the company. I don't know a good one, and although I have read raves, names are not given so it does not do me any good. When I compare prices, I find online travel agencies and cruise companies quote the same amount, so I don't know how a Travel Agent might be beneficial, or find one that will keep on top of things once I work with them.
In the US, in most cases you can still get a full refund until right around final payment whether or not you book directly with Cunard.

You should be able to beat Cunard's pricing through a TA, though. They don't yet limit discounting the way some more mass-market cruise lines do. Shop around.

I would book now either on line, on the phone or with a travel agent. You can still get a sale price later (up until you pay in full). I use a travel agent sometimes, but have also reserved on line. Regardless, I still watch for the sales and check the prices online occasionally to see if there's been a reduction.

People on this board are very good about posting when they see sales as well.

In the past couple of years, I've called my agent when I saw the price reduced...I don't wait for her to see it. I don't rely on the agent totally. There's never been a problem.

I would book now either on line, on the phone or with a travel agent. You can still get a sale price later (up until you pay in full). I use a travel agent sometimes, but have also reserved on line. Regardless, I still watch for the sales and check the prices online occasionally to see if there's been a reduction.

People on this board are very good about posting when they see sales as well.

In the past couple of years, I've called my agent when I saw the price reduced...I don't wait for her to see it. I don't rely on the agent totally. There's never been a problem.

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm going to do what you suggest and reserve now to make sure I get what I want.

Hi Radelle. Since you are concerned about sea sickness, my suggestion would be to book a cabin mid-ship on deck 4 or 5. Check various on-line travel agency sites, brick and mortar travel agents, as well as calling Cunard directly. Book as soon as you find the cabin at a price that meets your needs. Check cancellation and price adjustments policy prior to booking, as those conditions do vary.

In direct answer to your question: yes, sheltered baclonies mid-ship on a trans-atlantic crossing are most desirable, so book sooner rather than later, unless you'd like to gamble that the cabin you need will be still be available later :)

Just to add: if you have selected a specific cabin, tell whomever you book with that you do not wish an upgrade: tick the DO NOT UPGRADE box. Get confirmation of your booking conditions. Best wishes, -S.

P.S. QM2 is amazingly stable - hopefully, you won't experience any mal de mar :)

Thanks very much for your response. I'm going to accept your suggestion including the DO NOT UPGRADE part and reserve now when I can get what I want. Since this will be the end of a month's trip, want it to be a pleasant end to a pleasant trip.

In the US, in most cases you can still get a full refund until right around final payment whether or not you book directly with Cunard.

You should be able to beat Cunard's pricing through a TA, though. They don't yet limit discounting the way some more mass-market cruise lines do. Shop around.

Thanks for your response. I'll check around and see what various agencies are offering. If nothing else I may learn how it works and I can always go with the line itself if I need to.

Thanks again.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered me the advice I needed to make my decision. This forum is wonderful as usual and the respondents show me how friendly and kind Cunard cruisers are.

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived