Difference between Tracy arm and Glacier bay?

lbt43

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x, by both small boat and by cruise ship. 2x in May and 2x in July. I have not seen the glaciers at the end on any of these trips.

We saw Endiocott Arm 2x and the other 2x, we went into Tracy Arm but didn't make it that far.

So even if you go in July, you are not guaranteed that you will see the glaciers at the end.

I have yet to miss Glacier Bay. I would choose Glacier Bay.

I have done Tracy Arm twice. In late July we got far enough to see the glacier at a distance but not close.

6253_1211661169145_2854936_n.jpg

Our second trip was in mid-August and we got all the way in.

41210_1575877954337_6751224_n.jpg

We cruised on HAL this May and I took the small boat excursion into Tracy Arm....we made it all the way in with Adventure Bound and their small boat. We also had amazing weather cruising into Glacier Bay. Both were amazing experience and different in their own ways!

Leaving the ship on the smaller boat for the Tracy Arm Excursion

Alaska%202013-1076-L.jpg

Tons of waterfalls

Alaska%202013-1222-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-1340-L.jpg

Alaska%202013-1377-L.jpg

Compared to Glacier Bay

Alaska%202013-2115-L.jpg

Our HAL Oosterdam itinerary shows "Scenic Cruising Tracy Arm" from 3-8 PM, which hopefully means they're at least planning to go up the fjord to the glaciers. There are no small-boat excursions offered. Does anyone know if they serve split pea soup on the deck while cruising the Tracy Arm like they do in Glacier Bay? This was definitely one of the highlights of our Alaskan cruises in the past.

Thanks.

Thanks for the great information posted here.

I have friends who are going on their first cruise, aboard the Disney Wonder to Alaska, and Tracy Arm is one of the stops on their itinerary. Based on what I have read here I will encourage them to sign up for the small boat tour (if it is offered) to improve their chances of getting closer to the glacier.

Great Information - we have booked the Tracy Arm small boat excursion via the Zuiderdam on July 1st and are thrilled to hear that it is such an amazing experience. I have a question about what to do in Juneau following that excursion. It appears we get to the ship around 3:30 - 4:00 and will need to change, go through customs etc. We leave Juneau at 10:30 pm. Realistically what do we have time to do once we get on shore? We will absolutely do the tramway up Mount Roberts if the weather is clear. We aren't big shoppers so would appreciate any advice on activities. Thanks, Liz

trackies, I'm glad you asked this. We're one week behind you on the Z, and have the same questions about what we have time to do in Juneau after the Tracy Arm excursion. We are planning on stuffing our faces at Tracy's Crab Shack and taking the tram, weather permitting, but wondering if we had time to do something else instead of the tram.

And from your post in the other thread, it seems we'll be a week behind you into Lake Bennett as well. I hope you have a great time--and that you have picked your excursions well :)

Great Information - we have booked the Tracy Arm small boat excursion via the Zuiderdam on July 1st and are thrilled to hear that it is such an amazing experience. I have a question about what to do in Juneau following that excursion. It appears we get to the ship around 3:30 - 4:00 and will need to change, go through customs etc. We leave Juneau at 10:30 pm. Realistically what do we have time to do once we get on shore? We will absolutely do the tramway up Mount Roberts if the weather is clear. We aren't big shoppers so would appreciate any advice on activities. Thanks, Liz

You have plenty of tours to choose from. Have you looked over your shore excursion list? This would give you ideas where you can then narrow your interests. For me, Mt Roberts is an add on, IF I have extra down time, which I usually don't have. :) You can get a flight, get to Mendenhall easily, as well.

Can you confirm that the way this works is that you board the small boat directly from the ship?

I assume this is only available as a ship-sponsored tour, i.e. you can't arrange for an outside vendor to pick you up in their boat? Its probably a silly question, but I thought I would ask!

We cruised on HAL this May and I took the small boat excursion into Tracy Arm....we made it all the way in with Adventure Bound and their small boat.

Leaving the ship on the smaller boat for the Tracy Arm Excursion

Alaska%202013-1076-L.jpg

Can you confirm that the way this works is that you board the small boat directly from the ship?

I assume this is only available as a ship-sponsored tour, i.e. you can't arrange for an outside vendor to pick you up in their boat? Its probably a silly question, but I thought I would ask!

Just a quick follow up question..... Someone posted on another thread that "Only problem, I think, is that they actually pick up from the ship at Tracy Arm and take the passengers back to Juneau to meet up with their ship." Can you advise if this is what happened on HAL, or did they bring you back to the ship?

Just a quick follow up question..... Someone posted on another thread that "Only problem, I think, is that they actually pick up from the ship at Tracy Arm and take the passengers back to Juneau to meet up with their ship." Can you advise if this is what happened on HAL, or did they bring you back to the ship?

The description on the HAL website:

Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm Wilderness Area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers. Your adventure begins as soon as you board a luxurious, high-speed catamaran directly from your cruise ship. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced captain guides you past curious seals resting on floating icebergs. The extraordinary maneuverability of the vessel will allow you to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation deck you will be able to enjoy this unforgettable experience with all your senses. You can sometimes even feel the "white thunder," as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. You will also view the beautiful North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by large cruise ships. While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord, you will cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4,000-feet above the jade-colored sea, and you can feel the mist on your face as the vessel maneuvers almost directly under a plunging waterfall. There will also be frequent stops for you to view and photograph wildlife, such as pigeon guillemots, bald eagles, harbor seals, mountain goats and bears. As you cruise Tracy Arm, the on-board naturalist will provide a wealth of information about the area, which naturalist John Muir called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of Southeast Alaska." Enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew as you trace the rugged shores of Stephens Passage on the cruise north to Juneau.

Notes:

Not suitable for wheelchairs. In the event unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude your cruise ship from entering Tracy Arm Fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm, a fjord and tidewater glacier of equal beauty. To fully enjoy the outside observation decks, bring a warm, rainproof jacket, hat and gloves. The vessel is equipped with deluxe seating, a galley and restrooms. The tour will disembark next to your cruise ship in downtown Juneau. Wildlife sightings are likely but are not guaranteed. Bring your passport on tour.

The cruise ship stops in open water near the opening of Tracy Arm.

The people on the excursion meet at a designated location at a specific time. Then they took us all down as a group and loaded onto the boat. Similar to getting on a tender....if you have done that before. The excursion then heads towards Tracy Arm and the cruise ship heads towards Juneau.

After the excursion the excursion takes you to Juneau where you reboard the cruise ship that is now docked in Juneau. We ate lunch on board and then went into town to shop. The excursion got us into Juneau around 3:30.

Yes you do board from the cruise ship. They have to account for everyone and swipe your card as you board.

Correct, ONLY available as a ship excursion. Allen Marine and Adventure Bound have independent touring options IF you have enough time in port, which most cruise itineraries do not.

It depends on the time and direction. Usual- is a pick up/drop off In Juneau with the other end being a pick up/drop off at Tracy Arm. The add on tour is essentially a "one way", with a Tracy Arm itinerary, (or "service call"), NCL does have a special ship shore excursion for the Pearl with Tracy Arm not on the itinerary.

It depends on the time and direction. Usual- is a pick up/drop off In Juneau with the other end being a pick up/drop off at Tracy Arm. The add on tour is essentially a "one way", with a Tracy Arm itinerary, (or "service call"), NCL does have a special ship shore excursion for the Pearl with Tracy Arm not on the itinerary.

Thanks everyone for all of the great responses! I am a lot better educated on this now!

My friends are travelling on Disney Wonder, and after a bit more research it seems that HAL offers the option of the small boat tour of Tracy Arm, but Disney does not.

trackies, I'm glad you asked this. We're one week behind you on the Z, and have the same questions about what we have time to do in Juneau after the Tracy Arm excursion. We are planning on stuffing our faces at Tracy's Crab Shack and taking the tram, weather permitting, but wondering if we had time to do something else instead of the tram.

And from your post in the other thread, it seems we'll be a week behind you into Lake Bennett as well. I hope you have a great time--and that you have picked your excursions well :)

Hi - we've decided not to dash for another "excursion" instead I made a list of places that seemed interesting to us. Here it is below in case we have similar tastes in that regard as well (lol). I hope you guys have a fabulous time!

Wickersham State Historical Site

10:00am - 5:00pm

This place sounds v interesting!

Walk along marine way to Main street and then turn left on 7th. (0.7m - 17 min.)

Overlooking downtown Juneau is Wickersham State Historical Site which preserves the 1898 home of pioneer judge and statesman James Wickersham. Inside are photographs, books and other memorabilia from the judge's colorful career.

St. Nicholas Church

see on the way to or back from Wickersham. It is located on 5th street. between Main and Gold

Has interesting Russian icons. Built in late 1880’s

The walk down the hill back to the cruise ship area presents lots of opportunity to see art galleries and museums etc if they are still open. Built in 1894 against the backdrop of Mt Juneau, the onion-domed church is a photographer's delight. Inside are Russian icons, original vestments and religious relics, while adjacent to the church is a small gift shop filled with books, matreshkas (nestling dolls) and other handcrafted items from Russia.

After we rested for a little while we got back off the ship and walk uphill to the Russian Orthodox Church. [6-8 blocks mostly uphill]. Then we started downhill stopping in at many attractions. We took a tour at the AK Capitol, saw the outside of the Governor's House, and DH had a beer at the Red Dog Saloon while I shopped a little, etc. We were in AK at the end of the season and the sales were great.

Juneau Douglas City Museum

Lots of info about pioneer era (9:00 am - 6:00pm)

Located on 4th street turn right off of Main.

Apparently they offer a downtown historic walking tour

A short climb up the hill from Juneau's waterfront brings you to the Juneau-Douglas City Museum at Fourth and Main streets. Two totem poles sit in the small landscaped park, where on July 4, 1959, the first Alaska flag was raised, celebrating statehood.

The East Gallery focuses on Juneau's mining history and the life of pioneers in the Gastineau Channel area. A 5-by-7 foot relief map provides an eagle's-eye view of the region. You can also put your feet up and watch the documentary video "Juneau: City Built on Gold," or view digital stories of Juneau as Alaska's state capital on an interactive kiosk.

Mendenhall Glacier and Visitor Centre

Summer Hours of Operation: May - September

8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Sunday through Saturday

Picture yourself a short drive away from the state capital, trees at your back, and in front of you, and an enormous ice field flowing down the valley in a glacier that ends at an iceberg dotted-lake's edge.

The visitor center is set in a cliff above the valley floor, with huge curving windows offering an uninterrupted view of the glacier. Exhibits and a new film help show how the Mendenhall glacier moves and shapes the valley ecosystem. Several trails are based from the Center grounds and offer an alternative, adventurous way to experience the glacier and surrounding areas.

The glacier is also a real-time example of how climate change is impacting the natural world. Our staff will provide information and resources to learn more about the glacier's retreat and what it might mean to you.

We invite you to Alaska to see Mendenhall Glacier, the visitor center and the rest of the exhibits. And we won't be disappointed if you are more impressed with the glacier than the exhibits. That is as it should be.

Photo Point Trail

Easy trail with scenic glacial views

Length - 0.3 miles

Time - 20 minutes

Elevation gain - 10 feet

As its name implies, Photo Point Trail is the best vantage point to capture panoramic shots of Mendenhall Glacier and the surrounding peaks. The entire trail is accessible, with benches and interpretive information spaced along it.

AJ Mine Gastineau Mill Tour

(waiting to find out where you access the tour)

The reviews on trip advisor are good.

During a brief ride along the beautiful Gastineau Channel your driver will set the stage for your underground adventure. While overlooking breathtaking views of Gastineau Channel, your guide explains the different mining methods used throughout the mine. Donning hard hats, the tour proceeds along a boardwalk into a 360-foot-long tunnel. Experienced miners will demonstrate hard rock mining techniques and acquaint you with the mining lifestyle. Back at the mill, you will try your own hand at panning for gold and garnets. Pay dirt is guaranteed and you keep what you find!

· The tour is approximately 2 hours. Dress warmly for the underground part of the tour.

·

Shrine of St. Therese

A bit out of town so taxi drop off and pick up arrangements would have to be made.

Shrine of St. Theresa.Head to the Shrine of St. Theresa which is on a spit of land with beautiful views and is very peaceful and scenic . it is 23K outside of town so a taxi or car rental is a must.

Web Site at http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/ or phone (907)780-6112 or email: fitterer@gci.net

Alaskan Hotel

Instead of the purely tourist magnet of the Red Dog, a couple blocks away down Franklin is the Historic Registered Alaskan Hotel and Bar. A nice treasure in Juneau for an Alaskan Amber. It is an historic establishment and oldest operating hotel in Juneau, Alaska. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was opened as The Alaskan on September 16, 1913. Its owners, three miners who struck it rich in the nearby Coast Range, tied the hotel's keys to a helium balloon and released it, signifying that the hotel would never close. The building was briefly condemned in the 1970s, but was rehabilitated by new owners. (the bar entrance is separate from the main hotel entrance)

Thanks! That will be very helpful. I've only recently begun to make a "contingency list" of what to do in each port in case our planned excursions and activities are cancelled due to weather, etc.

I don't think we'll try to jam an additional excursion into Juneau either. And I might have a mutiny on my hands if I don't allow enough time for us to check out Tracy's crab shack! I'm really hoping the weather cooperates and we can simply take the tram and relax at the top of Mt Roberts for a while after arriving from Tracy Arm.

Shrine of St. Therese

A bit out of town so taxi drop off and pick up arrangements would have to be made.

Shrine of St. Theresa.Head to the Shrine of St. Theresa which is on a spit of land with beautiful views and is very peaceful and scenic . it is 23K outside of town so a taxi or car rental is a must.

Web Site at http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/ or phone (907)780-6112 or email: fitterer@gci.net

You are recommending a place that would be at least $70++ for a cab, round trip.

Walking distance- with no mobility limitations, of about 20 minutes from downtown, is the interesting Last Chance Mine.

Archived