When using a cruise card do you have to sign?

AKman2495

I never sign my card on the back the way I sign my statements. If you lose it on the ship why give someone a sample signature to help them forge a purchase.

In theory, because the signature on the back of your card is what the service person looks at to compare to the paper you just signed to verify it's the same person. (Though in practice, we all know no vendor, on or off a ship, ever compares the signatures to follow that theory)

I had to have a charge reversed last Saturday before we got off the Sapphire Princess. There was a charge for a bottle of wine in the Savoy dining room. We had traditional seating in the International dining room and never ate in the Savoy. The purser pulled all the charge slips for that evening for the Savoy and Vivaldi dining rooms. (For some reason they are kept together.) It was a big bundle. She went through each slip looking for the transaction. Then she started over when she didn't see it the first time. She finally found the slip and discovered someone had keyed in the room number wrong 100 instead of 116.

I had received a printout of our onboard charge accounts two days before the end of our cruise. The erroneous charge was made the evening after I had done that.

Since our cruise accounts had been closed out, the purser had to get my credit card to issue me a credit for the overcharge. Someone else is going to have a larger bill than expected.

In theory, because the signature on the back of your card is what the service person looks at to compare to the paper you just signed to verify it's the same person. (Though in practice, we all know no vendor, on or off a ship, ever compares the signatures to follow that theory)

That might be true about the signature you put on the back of the card but the one I use for purchases doesn't look like anything on the back of my card. The signature I sign on any receipt is the one that matches the one on file & not what's on my cruise card. If there are any discrepancies in a billing for a charge made by some other person than myself they never know what my signature looks like so why give them something to try & copy? I've found many cards over the years & all have had signatures that could have easily be forged.

Archived