Walking distance from Park Lane Marriott Hyde Park

dundeene

We booked a room at the Marriott Park Lane in London and would like to know what sights are within walking distance. We are in our late forties and very fit.The hotel is on the edge of Hyde Park

From the map Trafalgar Square looks okay but The Tower of London looks to be pretty distant.

Thank you for your help.

The Marriott Park Lane is on Marble Arch.

Its at the western end of Oxford Street the main shopping street, though not where Harrod's is.

If you're really fit you can walk everywhere in London from there, walking is the best way to see London.The furthest sights from Marble Arch is Tower Bridge/Tower of London which would take just over an hour as a stright walk but probably all day in sightseseing mode.

Opposite your hotel is speaker's corner where on a Sunday you can stand up on your soap box and put the world right without fear of arrest. Its easier to heckle. The US is the receiving end of much of the stuff so you can wave the flag in response.

On the other side of Marble Arch is the Arab district of London which is a good area if you are into arabic food.

Most of the "A" list sights are 20 minutes walk way, just get a good street map and explore off the main roads, there are lots of signposts for walkers.

If you're not into shopping probably best to get a bus to Piccadilly Circus or Westminster as the first 15 minutes of any walk (except across Hyde park) would be relatively uninteresting to what lays beyond.

If you're not into shopping probably best to get a bus to Piccadilly Circus or Westminster as the first 15 minutes of any walk (except across Hyde park) would be relatively uninteresting to what lays beyond.

Well, you could go through Mayfair, see Grosvenor Square (and wonder at the ugliness of the US Embassy!), Berkeley Square, Shepherds Market etc etc on the way down to Piccadilly or Green Park. Yes, it's not A-list sightseeing but quite interesting, nonetheless :)

And I think the Marriott is about half way up Park Lane, opposite the Dorchester, not at Marble Arch?

And I think the Marriott is about half way up Park Lane, opposite the Dorchester, not at Marble Arch?

You're thinking about the JW Marriott Grosvenor House. The Marriott Park Lane is indeed at Marble Arch (and, ironically, the Marriott Marble Arch is further up, off Edgeware Road).

I love this section of London - the hustle and bustle of Oxford St. meets the oasis of Hyde Park. While most would consider this on the edge of the main tourist area, there's plenty you can walk to, or hop a bus in a pinch (lots of options on Oxford St.)

There are 5 Marriott properties all within half a mile of each other so its easy to get confused.

Especially as the Marriott Marble Arch isn't at Marble Arch but a few hundred yards north and the Marriott at Marble Arch is called Marriott Park Lane and the one that fronts Park Lane is called the Marriott Grosvenor House which is not the Marriott Grosvenor Square which isn't directly on Grosvenor Square.

There are 5 Marriott properties all within half a mile of each other so its easy to get confused.

Especially as the Marriott Marble Arch isn't at Marble Arch but a few hundred yards north and the Marriott at Marble Arch is called Marriott Park Lane and the one that fronts Park Lane is called the Marriott Grosvenor House which is not the Marriott Grosvenor Square which isn't directly on Grosvenor Square.

Ah, thanks - that's not confusing at all, then :)

I'm thoroughly confused. We've just begun to research this trip. The plans are to spend 3 nights in London prior to our flight home from Heathrow. Which of the Marriott properties would be the most convenient for sightseeing and the eventual trip to the airport?

I'm thoroughly confused. We've just begun to research this trip. The plans are to spend 3 nights in London prior to our flight home from Heathrow. Which of the Marriott properties would be the most convenient for sightseeing and the eventual trip to the airport?

It's OK to be confused - I lived in central London for over 20 years and still visit every week for work, and obviously I was confused :)

Well, as was said the properties mentioned on this thread are very close to each other, so it doesn't make much difference, although the original one mentioned is probably closest to an Underground station. But there are about 20 Marriott owned properties in London, so it really depends on what you want to do. The Marriott most in the heart of well known sights is probably the one at County Hall, which is by the river and just across the bridge from 'Big Ben', Westminster Abbey etc.

London doesn't have a 'downtown area' like many US cities, its spread out. Wherever you stay you will need to travel to sightsee

Hotel location doesn't really matter becuase public transport is so good.

County Hall Marriott is the one that meets the 'closest to the sights' spec, but its still 45 minutes walk to Tower Bridge/Tower of London and nowhere near the shopping or theatre districts and is pretty inconvenient for Heathrow (though not Gatwick)

The Marriott Park lane/Grosvenor House/Square Marriott's are normally the most expensive Marriott's but are not particularly advantageous for the leisure visitor.

Marriort Marble Arch is in the middle of the Arab district of London, some US people have a problem with this, others see it as a plus in 'multicultural' London.

Marriott Kensington is the most convenient for Heathrow airport but is slightly further out near Gloucester Road Tube, but is closer to Harrod's and South Kensington Museums than the more central Marriotts.

Ecah to his/her own

London doesn't have a 'downtown area' like many US cities, its spread out. Wherever you stay you will need to travel to sightsee

County Hall Marriott is the one that meets the 'closest to the sights' spec, but its still 45 minutes walk to Tower Bridge/Tower of London and nowhere near the shopping or theatre districts and is pretty inconvenient for Heathrow (though not Gatwick)

Ecah to his/her own

Depends how you are getting to the airport, I suppose :) And it's only about a 20 minute walk to Leicester Square, so hardly "nowhere near" theatreland. I think this area, or whatever the City Inn/Mint round the back of MI5 is now called, is probably the best for first time visitors wanting to be in the heart of things, but absolutely endorse your comment that London doesn't really have a heart of things!!

The Marriott Park lane/Grosvenor House/Square Marriott's are normally the most expensive Marriott's but are not particularly advantageous for the leisure visitor.

Marriort Marble Arch is in the middle of the Arab district of London, some US people have a problem with this, others see it as a plus in 'multicultural' London.

Marriott Kensington is the most convenient for Heathrow airport but is slightly further out near Gloucester Road Tube, but is closer to Harrod's and South Kensington Museums than the more central Marriotts.

Ecah to his/her own

Thank you for the detailed explanation. We've just begun to research for this trip and really had no idea where to stay when looking at the map and reviews. We may want to decide our itinerary before making a choice for lodging.

How convenient is the Lancaster Gate area for seeing the sites? Is using the "tube is the easiest way to get around to some of most popular sites? I am interested in the Lancaster Gate Hotel, can you tell me something about this hotel?

How convenient is the Lancaster Gate area for seeing the sites? Is using the "tube is the easiest way to get around to some of most popular sites? I am interested in the Lancaster Gate Hotel, can you tell me something about this hotel?

As ever, it depends on which sites you are interested in. But it's very convenient for the tube, so you aren't going to be too far away (in time) from anywhere, and close to Padington if you come in from LHR on the train. On your doorstep you'll have Hyde Park and Kensington Palace/Gardens. If the weather is good it's a great walk (but quite long) through the Royal Parks (Hyde-Green-St James) down to Westminster and Buckingham Palace etc, or straight across Hyde Park to the museums.

Basic mid-range hotel, as far as I am aware, but I have never stayed there.

The Lancaster Gate Hotel is a good quality mid-range hotel. a solid enough choice.

Its quite a long way from being a Marriott though in quite alot of respects...

In the same area the Commodore Hotel and the Darlington Hyde Park are worth comparing.

In terms of districts, personally I would go for the Bloomsbury area and if money was no object the Chancery Court Hotel.

At the moment a lot of cruisers who want to "play safe" with a familiar brand they've heard, but a quite bland global multi-national experience are attracted by the rates offered by DoubleTree Hilton, especially their stes at Westminster, Victoria and Tower Bridge, all have their own merits in terms of position.

Really as ever comes down to budget and what you are looking for.

The 4 and 5 stars core market are business people so you tend to get much better rates at the weekends.

If a district is more leisure travel driven the reverse tends to be the case.

If you don't want health clubs, room service, concieges and large lounges there is no point in paying for them at a 4/5 star.

The Premier Inn chain is probably the best mid-range option in this category. They've got a lot of branches in London.

Personally I'd go for the Victoria one but each to his own.

If you want North American preferences in hotel , large rooms with two king size beds and ice machines in the corrider you're probably best revisiting Marriott.

A lot of it indeed is walkable and during rush hours, it might be faster to walk than to take the buses; however the buses are great. Right there on Oxford Street is the #15 bus route which follows a great route via Oxford Street to Oxford Circus to Picadilly Circus to Trafalgar Square onward past Charing Cross Station past the Strand well into the City pass Monument to Tower Bridge! With an oyster card, your day's travel on the bus will cap I believe at £4 no matter how often you hop on and off (there are commercicial hop on and off buses with commentary but much more expensive...the #15 line is a great line...plant yourself upstairs and see if you can't get the front seat...if traffic gets heavy simply hop off and walk.

Another great bus line right by you is the #148 which goes up Park Lane past the I believe it's the Lord Nelso arch in the vicdinity of Buckingham Palace to Victoria station up Victoria Street pass Westminster Abbey the palace of Westminster (where the clock is...trivia question the clock is not big ben...the bell that rings is)...pass the eye to South bank. Any of the buses can be used to orient yourself. You can get most anywhere with the buses and indeed walking...(from the arch, for example, you can walk up Picadilly to Green Park through Green Park to Buckingham Palace....the city is really much smaller than it seems.

So you're very well located at Marble Arch...do some research on the tfl web site on the various bus routes....you'll be shocked how convenient they are (although many visitors are afraid to rub elbows with locals on the buses and opt for the more expensive HOHO buses)...

You also have diffeent transportation alternatives besides the payg oyster card which is the only way today to get an all day bus ticket.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the great info. Especially Matha531, the bus #s will help very much.

We are staying at the Marriott free with points. I think we will get an oyster card and use public transit.

We only have a day and a half before our cruise and this is a first time in London. We want to see some of the tourist attraction, but also want to wander around and take in the city on foot.

Thank you for all the great info. Especially Matha531, the bus #s will help very much.

We are staying at the Marriott free with points. I think we will get an oyster card and use public transit.

We only have a day and a half before our cruise and this is a first time in London. We want to see some of the tourist attraction, but also want to wander around and take in the city on foot.

Ditto! Thanks to everyone for this valuable information. Thanks to you, Dundeene, for starting this thread as we are planning to stay in one of the Marriotts in the same neighbour as you.

To all you in the know can you help me, please, with how to get from this part of London to the Eurostar at London's St Pancras station. We are planning on doing the trip to Paris after spending time in London. Also do know of a good hotel around the St. Pancras station?

Thank you very much!

Ditto! Thanks to everyone for this valuable information. Thanks to you, Dundeene, for starting this thread as we are planning to stay in one of the Marriotts in the same neighbour as you.

To all you in the know can you help me, please, with how to get from this part of London to the Eurostar at London's St Pancras station. We are planning on doing the trip to Paris after spending time in London. Also do know of a good hotel around the St. Pancras station?

Thank you very much!

Two ways seem to be about the same...

Central Line tube (red on the maps) to Holborn switch to Picadilly line (dark navy blue)

Central line to Oxford Circus then Victoria line (light blue)

Both stop in the St. Pancras Kings Cross complex

Changes involve a bit of walking and a few stairs although not overhelming....can you cart your own baggage. Otherwise take a cab.

Also do know of a good hotel around the St. Pancras station?

Thank you very much!

The best hotel (by far) at St Pancras is the Renaissance St Pancras which is the old original station hotel totally gutted and re-opened last year.

There is also the Pullman St Pancras a few doors down, until recently called the Novotel St Pancras which is still a solid 4 star but not to the levels (and price) of the Renaissance.

If you don't want to pay for frills you never use the Premier Inn Kings Cross is a very good 3star level hotel.

We stayed at this hotel with points. We walked to the British Museum via Oxford Street. We took a bus to the theatre district and then back late. We felt safe. The hop on hop off, bus stops in front of the hotel. We also took a bus from the airport which stops in front of the hotel. I don't remember much about it but it was convenient at the airport, saved quite a bit of money over a taxi and it was good for a first glimpse of London.

We got there early after our flight and there was no room available but they held our bags and locked our valuables in a hotel safe deposit box so we did not have to carry any bags the first day.

The price of breakfast at the hotel was ridiculously high so we went out and found nearby places for breakfast.

The hotel had a beautiful pool which I did use one day.

I can't remember a thing about the room.

Hope this helps.

Archived