I wanna swim with the turtles!

ComeSailWithME

<insert pouty face here>

All of the pictures I see with others swimming with these massive sea turtles are so awesome! I never even thought/knew of that before. I tried to see if any of our ports offer that through Carnival (just to get a starting point) and I don't see anything.

We're headed to Nassau, St Thomas, Antigua and Tortola next month.. any chance for turtle swimming at any of these spots?

I don't ever remember ever seeing an excursion promoting swimming with turtles although we did see one while snorkeling once...... In Grand Cayman..... you might check that out next time you plan a cruise.... I know that Grand Cayman is known for its sea turtles.

You can swim with sea turtles in Barbados. That's what we are doing! They swim freely close to shore, there are catamaran and boat trips that take you to swim and feed them in their natural habitat. I heard you can bypass an excursion and swim out to them from shore. Can't wait to swim with the turtles!

I don't ever remember ever seeing an excursion promoting swimming with turtles although we did see one while snorkeling once...... In Grand Cayman..... you might check that out next time you plan a cruise.... I know that Grand Cayman is known for its sea turtles.

In Grand Cayman you can swim with stingrays.

In St. Thomas, contact Captain Mike. He took my sister and I, his only guests, and we swam with the turtles. The cove is not far from the port and his sailboat is moored right in the cruise port so no taxi ride. He picked us up at the end of the dock in a dinghy and took us to his sailboat. It is green and you can't miss it. He was a fantastic host and we had a perfect day. Google Island Girl charters. There are reviews on tripadvisor also.

In St. Thomas, contact Captain Mike. He took my sister and I, his only guests, and we swam with the turtles. The cove is not far from the port and his sailboat is moored right in the cruise port so no taxi ride. He picked us up at the end of the dock in a dinghy and took us to his sailboat. It is green and you can't miss it. He was a fantastic host and we had a perfect day. Google Island Girl charters. There are reviews on tripadvisor also.

:eek:

I could hug you!

You can swim with sea turtles in Barbados. That's what we are doing! They swim freely close to shore, there are catamaran and boat trips that take you to swim and feed them in their natural habitat. I heard you can bypass an excursion and swim out to them from shore. Can't wait to swim with the turtles!

Now I want to go to Barbados! We were supposed to swim with the turtles in St John, but the weather was horrid when we got to St. Thomas so the trip was canceled. We are heading to St. Thomas again next year so Hopefully we can do this and see the turtles!

Carnival is offering a snorkel with the sea turtles and lunch excursion in Cozumel on our upcoming cruise. My daughter and I are thinking about taking this excursion. Hope we can wait till cruise date though as I want to make sure the weather is good for us in Jan.

I usually see sea turtles off of St John (near St Thomas)

The turtles in Barbados, like the stingrays in Grand Cayman hang around because they are regularly fed.

There is now also a turtle swim off Playa del Carmen that is available on some Cozumel stops. Akumal certainly has turtles - not sure if that is the Carnivl excursion.

C Hope we can wait till cruise date though as I want to make sure the weather is good for us in Jan.

what "could" happen with the weather? it rains?? you are gonna get wet anyways.

We went to Cozumel this past February- we booked a AI beach excursion. It rained (ok it really did pour) and it rained almost all day long.

The excursion was fun-- it was peaceful and very relaxing

Bucks Islands which is about a half hour ride from St. Thomas is the place you can swim with turtles. We chartered Island Girl (Captain Mike) to take us out there. Was a terrific day. He picked us in a small dingy right next to the cruise ship and took us out to the sloop that was moored just beyond the approach area to the piers.

I strongly recommend Island Girl, however there are a lot of sloop operators that make the same run. I am certain you can do a search of St Thomas tour operators on this board and get lots of good recommendation. We did the half day excursion and it was 75.00 a person in March of 2010.

I can honestly say it was thrilling to see so many turtles and in their own environment.

Archived