Emerald Princess - Going into Dry Dock

rayandshirl

Anyone that has been on board the ship recently, does it look tired and worn?:confused:

We sailed on the Emerald in February of this year and she was in fantastic shape. I wouldn't be concerned.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

We'll be on the Emerald Princess at the end of October. Didn't realize that it was going into dry dock in December.

Anyone that has been on board the ship recently, does it look tired and worn?:confused:

Just like you take your car in for an annual tune-up, cruise ships go into dry- or wet-dock every 2-3 years for general maintenance that can't be done while passengers are onboard. The Emerald's dry-dock is for just seven days which means that most of the work done will be transparent to passengers.

Here's what's likely to be done: the bottom of the ship will be scraped and painted, the propellers cleaned and buffed, the thrusters cleaned and serviced, the engines examined and tuned up or overhauled, onboard electronics (operational, navigational and entertainment) updated, cabins and public spaces deep cleaned, carpeting replaced and perhaps soft goods, etc. Not very sexy. :)

Pam in CA... as I cruise my way thru the Cruise Critic boards, I am repeatedly amazed at your wealth of knowledge on just about everything "cruise"!

I suppose it's only natural that when you hear a ship is going into dry dock it instantly makes you think of the negative, and not the positive, i.e. preventive maintenance, facelift, nip & tuck, etc.

I thank you for this latest post as we will be sailing on her in April (our first time on the Emerald) and will now be confident that she will be refreshed & ready for our adventure! :D

People tend to forget that cruise ships take a constant beating from passengers and salt water, docking, and whatnot. Far more than your car does. Even when you're on a cruise, there's constant maintenance being done, whether it's carpet replacement or checking the hoists on the tenders. Just like many of us want a new phone with the latest and greatest technology, so do ships whether it's navigational aids or new ways to program entertainment shows. My car's GPS is six years old so I can relate. :)

Even after the drydock, don't expect a totally refreshed ship. Furniture will probably not be replaced unless it's broken and you'll still see some wear and tear.

I thank you for this latest post as we will be sailing on her in April (our first time on the Emerald) and will now be confident that she will be refreshed & ready for our adventure! :D

We are also sailing on her in April. Which one are you one? We sail on the 6th.

Hi PurpleHays... we sail on the 6th as well. Picked this date because for whatever reason, the ship stops at Grand Turk instead of Princess Cays.

Our first sailing with Princess a couple years ago to the Western Caribbean stopped at their private island and since we've not been to the Eastern Caribbean, the more new places to see, the better!

Did you join the roll call yet? I know they've started a list, but can't remember right now if you were on it. Won't be long now... bet the time will fly by till then!

We'll be on the Emerald Princess at the end of October. Didn't realize that it was going into dry dock in December.

Are you by chance going on the repositioning cruise at the end of October which ends in FL? If so I will be on it too. If you are on it, the roll call is calling your name:D

Hi PurpleHays... we sail on the 6th as well. Picked this date because for whatever reason, the ship stops at Grand Turk instead of Princess Cays.

Our first sailing with Princess a couple years ago to the Western Caribbean stopped at their private island and since we've not been to the Eastern Caribbean, the more new places to see, the better!

Did you join the roll call yet? I know they've started a list, but can't remember right now if you were on it. Won't be long now... bet the time will fly by till then!

I see that you found me on the roll call. :D

We are celebrating my 50th birthday. I thought about a B2B, but DH didn't think he would be happy the entire time. I did some more searching and found this one. I'm looking forward to it.

Where are you in OH? DH lived in Columbus for 22 years or so.

I know I posted earlier PurpleHays to with you a very happy upcoming "50"! Just don't know where it disappeard to! Anyway, 50 is a very good year... enjoy it becuase at I surplassed it 8 years ago... although I still feel 45-ish! lol And you still have a few years brfore the creaky old aches & pains start in... that'll be aroung 55 - 56-ish, so enjoy 50! :p

I know I posted earlier PurpleHays to with you a very happy upcoming "50"! Just don't know where it disappeard to! Anyway, 50 is a very good year... enjoy it becuase at I surplassed it 8 years ago... although I still feel 45-ish! lol And you still have a few years brfore the creaky old aches & pains start in... that'll be aroung 55 - 56-ish, so enjoy 50! :p

I generally only feel old when I'm working out since my chosen sport is full of tiny young girls. (I figure skate)

Archived