Questions about the Nieuw Amsterdam...and I am "new"

TinyG

Hi

We usually sail on Carnival, we thought of trying HAL for a chance of pace and different ports. The first cruise would end, would we then qualify for a past cruiser benefits (like the brunch, gift? for the Star Mariner), I know it takes time for us to get into the system. We are also stock holders, so I know about the OBC that I can apply for.

We are looking at either deck 5 (VC5139) or 6 (VB6117)in the aft section on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Any good tips on VA-VB-VC. We would like the same cabin. So many different balcony sizes, other than the lowest deck with balcony's that do stick out further. Can anyone comment on either cabin number...or ones that are by them?:)

We liked seeing the Eurodam (NA sister ship)in Half Moon Cay....We need to go back! So I have pictures of that ship, but still can figure out how to see the cabin pictures from the "sticky" post here on CC. It's not really showing anymore than the ship, not cabins or pictures. I did see some from utube.

Do they do price drops like Carnival? I've seen many posts about fare drops and canceling and re-booking. I hope I don't have to do that. Thanks for any help anyone can add.

I do like the bringing on more than just two bottles of wine or champagne (one pp on Carnival), but nobody beat Disney for as much as you want of anything.

Thanks in advance, please don't flame me if I have missed something that has already been posted. Just new to this board. I've gone back 20 pages of reading and done many searches trying to learn. :D

Hi

We usually sail on Carnival, we thought of trying HAL for a chance of pace and different ports. The first cruise would end, would we then qualify for a past cruiser benefits (like the brunch, gift? for the Star Mariner), I know it takes time for us to get into the system. We are also stock holders, so I know about the OBC that I can apply for.

We are looking at either deck 5 (VC5139) or 6 (VB6117)in the aft section on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Any good tips on VA-VB-VC. We would like the same cabin. So many different balcony sizes, other than the lowest deck with balcony's that do stick out further. Can anyone comment on either cabin number...or ones that are by them?:)

We liked seeing the Eurodam (NA sister ship)in Half Moon Cay....We need to go back! So I have pictures of that ship, but still can figure out how to see the cabin pictures from the "sticky" post here on CC. It's not really showing anymore than the ship, not cabins or pictures. I did see some from utube.

Do they do price drops like Carnival? I've seen many posts about fare drops and canceling and re-booking. I hope I don't have to do that. Thanks for any help anyone can add.

I do like the bringing on more than just two bottles of wine or champagne (one pp on Carnival), but nobody beat Disney for as much as you want of anything.

Thanks in advance, please don't flame me if I have missed something that has already been posted. Just new to this board. I've gone back 20 pages of reading and done many searches trying to learn. :D

For Joanies' stickey at the top - you need to go to each deck on the ship - then just tab down and you will see lots of rooms and lots of pictures.

There are also pictures of the ship in general which may be helpful.

For your price drop question, yes HAL lets you take advantage of price drops (other than flash sales). Normally you don't have to rebook.

I'll let the verandah experts address your questions but normally VD would be best I believe (deeper verandahs).

Hal's policy for wine, water, soda or anything else non-alcoholic is really great. The policy is for consumption in your stateroom. If you take the bottle of wine to a public room you will be charged a corkage fee of $18.

I'll let the other take over from here.

Welcome to the HAL board:D Enjoy your cruise

Go with Cat. VD in the back. Best balconies on the ship. Seven feet deep! Just got off the NA for 12 days in one. Quietest staterooms I've ever had on a ship. Never heard the neighbors. It was the same way on the Eurodam, in the same cabin. Every once in awhile there would be a few vibrations, but not a big deal. I think it is the best location on the ship. Near the aft stairway and close to all the food!

Since you have sailed Carnival, you are already in the HAL system with a Mariner Society number. Just go into the HAL website and begin to book a cruise. At the bottom of the first page it will ask for your Mariner #. There is a line to click on to look it up. You will find you already have one. They will recognize you as a past guest, and you will get an invite to the luncheon for one star Mariners. EM

TinyG,

Kazu always has great advice. We have sailed with her on the NA. She of course only sails in the top suites because her husband says she deserves the best.

Those of us that must sail on a budget love the VD's because of the larger verandas, as stated 7 feet deep and 9 feet wide, lower in the ship so less movement.

Kazu does associate with us in steerage and is very gracious in joining in on our sometimes outrageous antics.

"Ralph"

Well we booked! We went up a deck and got 6123!

I got the Mariner numbers yesterday, so I have those in the system. Was I to use my Carnival number? Crap, I did not think they were linked together since they programs are not. Can I change that if I already have one? Are we still considered past guest if we have not sailed on a HAL ship?

Thanks to the poster who talked about booking Costco got a $215.00 OBC, plus we can add the stock holders 100.00 before we sail.

Hi

We usually sail on Carnival, we thought of trying HAL for a chance of pace and different ports. The first cruise would end, would we then qualify for a past cruiser benefits (like the brunch, gift? for the Star Mariner) because you have cruised with Carnival you would be considered '1' star when you board the first time., I know it takes time for us to get into the system. We are also stock holders, so I know about the OBC that I can apply for.

We are looking at either deck 5 (VC5139) or 6 (VB6117)in the aft section on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Any good tips on VA-VB-VC. We would like the same cabin. So many different balcony sizes, other than the lowest deck with balcony's that do stick out further. Can anyone comment on either cabin number...or ones that are by them?:) I think either one of those cabins are great. There both close to the elevators/stairways. Personally I like the higher decks so VB. Good choice.

Do they do price drops like Carnival? Yes I've seen many posts about fare drops and canceling and re-booking. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. I hope I don't have to do that. Thanks for any help anyone can add.

I do like the bringing on more than just two bottles of wine or champagne (one pp on Carnival), but nobody beat Disney for as much as you want of anything.Oh yeah, Hal you can bring as much as you like too.:D

No flames here.:D

Congraulations good pick for your cabin.

Was I to use my Carnival number? Crap, I did not think they were linked together since they programs are not. Can I change that if I already have one? Are we still considered past guest if we have not sailed on a HAL ship?
You'll have different past passenger numbers for each line of the CCL fleet. They (and the associated perks) aren't interchangeable. You are considered a 1* Mariner - but with 0 days. You should be invited to the boarding lunch in the MDR and to the Mariner brunch sometime during the cruise, but there have been inconstancies reported about that happening. On my last HAL cruise I sailed with a friend who is Elite on Princess and had around 25 days on HAL. Either of those should have gotten her an invitation to the Mariner brunch. It never arrived. Oh well, she probably had a better lunch in the Lido anyway.

Congrats on your booking!!

Was VD 4166 or VD 4168 with the double balcony not available?

You will LOVE the Nieuw Amsterdam/Eurodam. You cabin looks GREAT...

My very best advice, is to book Tamarind for lunch (free) for the sail in to San Juan (amazing lunch and view)

Try and book a retreat ($299) or lido cabana ($199) weekly for ultimate luxury. They pay for themselves and service is amazing.

We Love Canaletto. Couple steps up from Olive Garden or Romanos Macaroni Grill, (Free on your ship at this point) and try the Penne ala Vodka (we add chicken & garlic) or the great lasagna. We always order a side of meatballs (yum, not on menu)

Formal nights in MDR have GREAT food. Just amazing.

You can order from the mdr menu for breakfast AFTER 7 AM (we just write it on a piece of paper and stick it to the door tag) This year we are printing it out, so we can tape it to the door tag, and you can have room service from MDR for dinner after they open. Amazing.

So many great things about HAL.

(We are early 30's)

Have a great time!!

Thanks Surfergirle, your post has so many things that I need to remember.

I am sure by they time we sail that I'll have all the information, to make me look like a pro.

When can you book most of these restaurants? Is it upon boarding? Or can we just add it to our reservation? The same with the cabana?

What have past gift's been. Is it similar to Carnival?

I am sure by they time we sail that I'll have all the information, to make me look like a pro.

When can you book most of these restaurants? Is it upon boarding? Or can we just add it to our reservation? The same with the cabana?

Hi TinyG

For the cabanas - call Ship services (number on the website) to book prior to boarding. You can book Pinnacle reservations for dinner and I think Tamarind for dinner online at HAL's website -- as well as shore excursions, spa treatments and other packages etc. - or you can also book through Ship services. Just make sure you ask them to send you an email confirming your purchase

Hi TinyG

For the cabanas - call Ship services (number on the website) to book prior to boarding. You can book Pinnacle reservations for dinner and I think Tamarind for dinner online at HAL's website -- as well as shore excursions, spa treatments and other packages etc. - or you can also book through Ship services. Just make sure you ask them to send you an email confirming your purchase

Can you buy the Suite Amenities Package, without being in a suite? I love that the website is so easy to navigate. I wish other cruise lines would have these kinds of selections.

Hey there!

You can book the cabana's (that are on the ship) through ships services 1800-541-1576

The Lido Cabanas are under retractable roof, great for bad weather days

The Retreat is on a private sun deck.

Both are great, both have great service, both are money well spent and pay for themselves...

Restaurants, you can book PG & Tamarind (dinner only) online under indulgences with your booking number.

Canaletto is booked on ship, and so is Tamarind Lunch. Book these right when you get on. They are so very well worth it.

Since you have a mariner number, inquire about going to the mariners embarkation lunch they have great food and less stressful than the lido.

Our first HAL cruise we were invited to the Mariner Brunch (because we had sailed CCL) but they had run out of tiles. Usually they give out lovely tiles that have a vintage HAL scene, also we got HAL Mariner tote bags.

I am not sure if we were just lucky or if we always do this.

You will have a great time, you are on an amazing ship and make sure to go to the chocolate event, we always fall asleep. lol.

That is great to hear. We were going to get some adult refreshments for the room. I think all those other perks are worth it, and what we are use to on Carnival.

The tiles sound different, which is nice. My MIL had sailed on HAL before she had a tote bag, which just happens to have the NA ship on the bag.

When hubby get home we have some planning to do!

We are going to do a B2B on this ship! So double the fun!

For the Suite package, on the last line "Price applies to single occupancy on voyages 7-10 days" So only one bathrobe, and the dinner for two...etc. So I can just book for me since hubby won't want one.

I don't care for either of those desserts....but I love the Creme brulee, which I did see one picture someplace. Do they have better desserts in general? I don't really care for most of Carnival's.

Archived