*Change* to Power Outlets - QM2...

T5LHR

I am just perusing Youtube, and noted a lovely video published by someone on a very recent trip on the QM2...

It appears, and this is the first time I have seen this, that Cunard have taken note of the positioning of the power points being so close to the desk surface, and have turned the sockets upside down to allow items to be plugged in without the cord or transformer units restricting them... See this video, at around 2 minutes 18 seconds:

Interesting...

Apologies if this is the norm, and I have just never noted it before...

T5 - Thanks for posting this. I certainly know what a cabin looks like but this is great info for "newbies". I did take note of the new carpet and must remind myself when I open the door to be prepared for it.

Hi, I noticed this had been done on our last QV trip so looks like they have done / are doing this on all the ships.

I don't remember it being a problem on QM2 but certainly noticed it on previous QV cruises. Maybe I had different plugs/adapters when on QM2, but can't think why.

Regards, Colin.

This has always annoyed me, not just on ships but in many hotels - some plugs have so little space that I worry that I'm going to damage the cord by trying to plug them in, and in a couple of cases it has been physically impossible to plug anything into the socket :eek: glad it is being taken care of

• 1 year later...
guys l don't understand german what nationality are they l only have the 2 round pins from other trips and these are different?

From Cunard FAQ

Can I use my electrical appliances on board?

Yes you can. On board our ships you'll find British 220 volt, 3-pin sockets and 110 volt, 2-pin sockets.

The 110 volt are North American 2 flat pin.

I am just perusing Youtube, and noted a lovely video published by someone on a very recent trip on the QM2...

It appears, and this is the first time I have seen this, that Cunard have taken note of the positioning of the power points being so close to the desk surface, and have turned the sockets upside down to allow items to be plugged in without the cord or transformer units restricting them... See this video, at around 2 minutes 18 seconds:

Interesting...

Apologies if this is the norm, and I have just never noted it before...

The plugs were upside down when I was on QM2 during Dec/Jan.

Very convenient given the weird design of some appliance plugs.

Unfortunately, I managed to leave my adaptor plugged in to the socket on disembarkation day! I cannot believe I forgot it!

Not that it's a major issue, but I'm usually so organised.

Unfortunately, I managed to leave my adaptor plugged in to the socket on disembarkation day! I cannot believe I forgot it!

Not that it's a major issue, but I'm usually so organised.

Likewise :( , I managed to leave a charger plugged into the shaver socket (I'm sure in the side of the light fitting?) in the bathroom on my first QM2 crossing in 2006. And like you, I am normally so organised. If anyone reading this is in 5032 right now, I'd like it back please ;) !

Likewise :( , I managed to leave a charger plugged into the shaver socket (I'm sure in the side of the light fitting?) in the bathroom on my first QM2 crossing in 2006. And like you, I am normally so organised. If anyone reading this is in 5032 right now, I'd like it back please ;) !

I wonder what happens to the left over items in cabins? Perhaps the items go to a crew auction...

Lot number 786 ... This beautifully crafted plastic coated Australian power adaptor comes with both US and UK electrical points. The adaptor was first acquired in January 2013 following 5 years of ownership with CC member Austcruiser84. As you can see, it is in near mint condition despite its age. A fine collector's item to be sure. Shall we start the bidding at $5?

I wonder what happens to the left over items in cabins? Perhaps the items go to a crew auction...

I'm sure I left a necklace behind in a QV safe on my first voyage on her. I contacted Cunard afterwards but nothing had been handed in. It's a pity. It wasn't a great value but I had purchased it in St Petersburg, and I don't buy many souvenirs.

We always carry a 6-ft extension cord & a 6 outlet power strip, as well as current adapters. My wife has a cpap breathing machine & a lot of lines have no plugs around the headboard. In any event with all the gear people need to charge, the ship lines really hacen't caught up.

Archived