What is the best deal you've ever gotten from the upgrade fairy?

Divamama0609

when u get an upgrade is it cause you booked thru carnival or ta?

It doesn't matter who you booked it with. What matters is that they have more expensive cabins that they can't sell so they offer them to you hoping that you will take them. Then they can sell the cheaper cabin easier.

We were booked on the Conquest out of NOLA in 2003. We had booked six balcony cabins on the Empress Deck. About two months before the cruise, the first couple alphabetically in the group got a call from Carnival asking if we would mind being upgraded to balconies on the Panorama Deck. They agreed and the other five couples never got notified. I found out by reading my "Cruise Booked" on the Carnival site. I did some checking with our TA and she had to call Carnival to find out. One of our booked cabins had three in it. They changed that cabin to only a two person. That's why they made the move according to the TA.

For us the best was regular balcony room to aft wrap vista suite for $ 200.00 for both. Now that we have done that we hate regular balconies.

I actually changed out cruise from Valor to legend so we could get another

vista aft wrap. It my little place of Solace.

from interior to window on Carnival in fall 2006 I think. We also got offered an upgrade from interior to suite on Carnival 2009 I think for $500, which we didn't take since the whole cruise only cost $1200, just couldn't pay that much more to say we got a "deal". But for 5 of us, it would have been a deal!

Just got the call today. Sailing tomorrow on the Liberty. Didnt know they call the day before. From interior to balcony for $300 total. The guy said I just have to reprint the luggage tags. We got a really good price on the interior room first off, so $300 more is a slick deal to me.

On our first cruise on the Carnival Glory we had booked 2 Oceanview guarantees. About 3 weeks before we sailed we found out both rooms had been upgraded at no charge to balcony rooms on the Verandah deck!

It was sweet! The only bad thing is now we pretty much always book a balcony because that first cruise spoiled us.

I think Carnival did it on purpose! Darn them!

On four of my sailings I have received free upgrades.

In September 1992 on the Ecstasy went from oceanview on deck 1 to category 11 (cabin V19).

In April 2001 on the Paradise went from oceanview on deck 1 to category 12 (cabin U114).

In March 2009 on the Carnival Miracle went from balcony on deck 5 to aft wraparound on deck 8 (cabin 8273).

In March 2010 on the Carnival Destiny went from oceanview on deck 2 to balcony on deck 8 (cabin 8173).

On our Alaska cruise last year with Holland America, we had booked an SC guarantee (Deluxe Verandah Suite) on the Westerdam. Got upgraded from the SC to SA, ended up on deck 7 right down the hall from the Neptune Lounge. To book an SA on our own would have cost an additional $600 pp so it was a nice upgrade. On the Valor this April we were hoping to be upgraded or upsold from an Ocean Suite to a Grand Suite but no luck.

My second cruise (Victory) we were upsold from an OV to a balcony on Deck 10 for $75 total. There were three of us.

On Elation, we were upgraded from an OV to GS...no charge. Another couple traveling with us were also upgraded from OV to the GS next door, no charge. It was their first cruise.

The upsale fairy has called once since then. They wanted $1000 for the GS on Glory. We were already in a balcony. We said "no thanks".

What is Upgrade fairy? How do I attempt for some great deals? Link? Site? New at this, Lil' help please? Thank you. :confused:

The "upgrade fairy" is when Carnival contacts you (or maybe your travel agent) and offers you a free upgrade, or an upsell to a nicer room. If it's an upsell, it's usually a decent price, but not always.

I got an email 4 days ago from the Upsell Fairy Department offering an oceanview in place of our interior for $70 total....on a 7-day cruise. Called back the next day and booked it. I'm tempted to call back and try to dicker for a balcony instead, since my sister's a smoker. :)

Archived