Who has been to Belize?

MaiTaiMary

Did you see a lot in the sub?

This is hard to answer. For us, we saw a pretty good (worthwhile) amount of cool stuff.....several fish (different types), squid, coral, the reef itself. To others, it might not seem like much. Sometimes people forget this is nature, not Disney :D. There is no artificial lighting and no way to assure anyone that he will see a lot of anything. Other than the coral and plants along the reef, you see whatever happens to come along those few minutes you are able to look.

Edited by summercruisin'

I have done Goff's Cay (good for beginners snorkel, very pretty lil isle) Altun Ha River Wallace(okay not that far of a trip, nice boat ride back) Xanantunich (long bus ride but definitely worth it, be careful climbing the "pyramid"), cave tubing (a nice adventure) Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro Island (absolutely the best of my 50 or so snorkel trips), snorkel off Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze(very nice all day trip), and a few others I can't recall at the moment. I've never had a bad excursion at this port.

I've never walked outside the port area, and I've hardly done any shopping in the port area (i'm a guy) so I won't comment on that.

We have made two very memorable trips to Belize.

We booked a tour to Altun Ha with a driver outside the fence, and were invited to listen to a captivating talk by Major Tom (our driver's friend). He is well versed on Mayan history and a very good speaker along with being a real gentleman. The ruins were well maintained and very interesting. \

The flea market area outside the fence is a good place to look around for local crafts and souveniers -- And it is safe.

Another trip, we connected with a young taxi driver named Elwin and got a great tour of the city (both the good and bad). He gave us his version of the poverty and crime, showed us his home and picked up his young son from school. The kid won DW's heart !!! We then had him take us out to the countryside to see the local flora and fauna. He showed us the local plants that are used for various medical purposes plus showed us some Iguanas and Caymen in the drain ditches by the road. Picked some berries from the trees and let us sample them.

If you can accept the poverty and overlook the lack of maintenance, there is a lot to see and learn in Belize.

Note -- Elwin needed money for gas (five dollars per gallon US at that time) so we gave him what he needed and he deducted it from the agreed price. After the trip, we gave him a nice tip. He was very emotional and tried to refuse the tip. That impressed me !!!

Edited by swedish weave

I love Belize, so much so we are considering retiring there. We've only been there once and did a day snorkel tour with Coral Breezes to Caye Caulker but we fell in LOVE immediately!! We've since joined a private facebook page of people who have relocated to Belize and I join their discussions often.

It is a different country and they do have their share of poverty like all the other islands but based on what the people I talk to that live there, it is a magical place.

The snorkeling that we did with Coral Breezes was some of the best that we have ever done and we are certified scuba divers who have dived a lot of places. The barrier reef there is AMAZING!!!

Enjoy the country!

My DH has always wanted to visit Belize. For our next cruise, we are strongly considering a Western Caribbean cruise, because of this.

I've been looking at reviews here off/on for the past couple of days and Belize sure doesn't get very high marks! :(

Can somebody tell me more about your stop at Belize? What are the popular things to do here?

ETA: If anybody has pictures they can post I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Cave Tubing w/Vitalino Reyes (Cavetubing.bz)...not to be missed- it was an amazing experience...we learned so much about the country and the walk through the rain forest was fun and educational... Vitalino is one of the first (if not the first) to be allowed to take people through the caves- the groups are small and you get to go through both sets of caves..

We've been to Belize twice. 1st time did the mayan ruins which was great, but a very long, hot day. Kind of a been there done that, wouldn't go out of my way to do again. 2nd time DH went scuba diving which he liked but I think he had higher expecations. He said it wasn't the best diving he's every done. I took the tender into port and attempted to walk around but quickly decided that wasn't the safest thing to do and just walked around a little in the inner port area (not the city itself) with my husband when he came back from scuba diving. Got a couple of decent deals on silver jewelry and took the tender back. I think if we went back again we'd try the zoo since we'd have our young son with us and I've heard it's decent.

We did the Land Rover cave expedition tour. The best value tour ever for me thru a cruise ship

It started off picking us up at the pier and than taking us by bus to the caves. We hiked thru the caves than got to go 4 wheelin in a Land Rover

Than at the stop we had some rum punch. :D:D Than we boarded a speed boat down the river to the ocean at 40mph+

We had a choice to go to the ship or to the dock we chose the dock and the GF got to shop while I had a couple beers at the Wet lizard. Its right next to tender pier.

We look forward to going back to Belize in the near future

Edited by jonbgd

We did the Land Rover cave expedition tour. The best value tour ever for me thru a cruise ship

It started off picking us up at the pier and than taking us by bus to the caves. We hiked thru the caves than got to go 4 wheelin in a Land Rover

Than at the stop we had some rum punch. :D:D Than we boarded a speed boat down the river to the ocean at 40mph+

We had a choice to go to the ship or to the dock we chose the dock and the GF got to shop while I had a couple beers at the Wet lizard. Its right next to tender pier.

We look forward to going back to Belize in the near future

The land rover is not an automatic, correct?

The land rover is not an automatic, correct?

It was a stick..... I grew up in SF and had to learn how to drive a stick for my first car:eek::eek:

It seats 4 and whoever wants to drive needs to ask early and have a valid license

BTW I like the ribbon my GF is @ almost 5 years

Edited by jonbgd

Belize me when I say, I had a fabulous time! We did the Bacab Eco Park Horseback riding excursion through the ship and had a great time. A nice ride through the country side with a tourguide and then a nice ride on the horses, followed by a walk through bamboo forest to enter into Paradise. They had a great lunch for us and we used the HUGE pool for hours before we went back.

Btw, on our eastern last week- the beaches were more crowded than anything I ever saw before so I wouldn't chose based on that.

It was a stick..... I grew up in SF and had to learn how to drive a stick for my first car:eek::eek:

It seats 4 and whoever wants to drive needs to ask early and have a valid license

BTW I like the ribbon my GF is @ almost 5 years

Darn, neither one of us knows how to drive a stick. That excursion does look like something we would really enjoy.

My mom has had it twice, so it definitely hits home. Very good to hear about your GF, I wish her well.

We've been to Belize twice. 1st time did the mayan ruins which was great, but a very long, hot day. Kind of a been there done that, wouldn't go out of my way to do again. 2nd time DH went scuba diving which he liked but I think he had higher expecations. He said it wasn't the best diving he's every done. I took the tender into port and attempted to walk around but quickly decided that wasn't the safest thing to do and just walked around a little in the inner port area (not the city itself) with my husband when he came back from scuba diving. Got a couple of decent deals on silver jewelry and took the tender back. I think if we went back again we'd try the zoo since we'd have our young son with us and I've heard it's decent.

My DD and I went to the zoo a few years ago. Small, but very interesting, and the people were very nice. Must wear walking/tennis shoes-the paths to the animals are stone.

• 1 year later...
Our last time was last November and went snorkeling through Coral Breeze

04 - Wed, Nov 16, 2011, Belize - 8am-5pm

Page1 - Bridge, Tenders, Kicking up mud, Tendering, Ship from tender, Fort Street Tourism Village, Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion,

Page2 - Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion, Snorkeling part, Green Moray, Shark/Ray part,

Page3 - Coral Breeze/Hammerhead Watersports Shark/Ray Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Excursion, Sharks and Rays, Lunch on Caye Caulker, Tender back to ship

Page4 - Room Service (Chocolate Cake, Vegetable Sticks, Roast Beef on French), Lido, Sushi Bar, Sushi Menu, MDR Dinner. Elvis, Lido at Night,

Some more pictures from Belize

Belize: Belize Dec 2008 Cave Tubing

Belize Nov 16, 2006 Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5 Page6

Sep 7, 2006 - Belize Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5 Page6

Dec 27, 2005 - Belize Pharmacy@BelizeTouristVillage

Belize Nov 16, 2005 (Snorkel and Bannister Island)

WOW! EXCELLENT photos

Job well done

We went to Belize the first time in 2008. We enjoyed our visit but I would not pick an itinerary just for this stop. The tender ride can be 15 minutes or 40 depending on the exact anchor point. The excursions offered almost always involve very long bus or van rides and receive mixed reviews.

We had chosen Bacab Eco park and went to the butterfly house and then spent time at the pool. There were other activities offered such as kayaks, bikes, horses, etc. We really enjoyed the pool however it is getting very mixed reviews now. We also spent some time down at the main tender area sipping beer. The time is relatively short in port and with the tender ride and sometimes possible time changes it can be dicey doing a private excursion. That is just my opinion. If we went back to Belize it would be a land visit so we could really enjoy it.

Our up coming Dream trip will stop there and we intend to stay on board.

My DH has always wanted to visit Belize. For our next cruise, we are strongly considering a Western Caribbean cruise, because of this.

I've been looking at reviews here off/on for the past couple of days and Belize sure doesn't get very high marks! :(

Can somebody tell me more about your stop at Belize? What are the popular things to do here?

ETA: If anybody has pictures they can post I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

We went to Belize on our 2011 Cruise. We went to the Zoo but to get to the zoo you had to go threw some rough looking areas. Gun check points etc.

its not high on my list of places to go back too but it was pretty. I remember watching some people fish off the docs and hall in this massive fish.

But over all we did enjoy going to see the zoo there. Minus the fire ants around the place so you have to watch where you step

Old post but my answer is ... watch out for the bugs!! Took the boat ride to the zoo and at the lunch point, we were very late in getting picked up for the zoo. 1 1/2 hours of waiting to be picked up. OFF did nothing. Bites were painful and bloody. Itched for 4 days and I even called the zoo to see if any medications that they would recommend.

Old post but my answer is ... watch out for the bugs!! Took the boat ride to the zoo and at the lunch point, we were very late in getting picked up for the zoo. 1 1/2 hours of waiting to be picked up. OFF did nothing. Bites were painful and bloody. Itched for 4 days and I even called the zoo to see if any medications that they would recommend.

It was on the first page and I never noticed the date of the original post! :o

I've been to Belize several times. I've snorkeled at Goeff's Cay twice and did cave tubing twice.

I would recommend both. And, i would recommend an excursion through the ship rather than independant.

The port area isn't much to speak of. However, the Belekin beer is rather good. Hang out at the Wet Lizard if you have time! :D

We went to Belize on our 2011 Cruise. We went to the Zoo but to get to the zoo you had to go threw some rough looking areas. Gun check points etc.

its not high on my list of places to go back too but it was pretty. I remember watching some people fish off the docs and hall in this massive fish.

But over all we did enjoy going to see the zoo there. Minus the fire ants around the place so you have to watch where you step

I understand this is an old post; we are going here again next January. Last time we just stayed at the port area and shopped around, nothing great. Did have a good meal at the main restaurant there despite three different kinds of music being played around us.

Our captain on the Dream sent us all a letter saying we might see increased security ON THE SHIP as well as in port. I thought that was interesting, being a tender port and all.

The time before that, several years earlier, we took the ship cave tubing tour. It's not the same one that I see on our choices now...it did not have the archeological walking component to it. I understand there was a tragic drowning back then during heavier than usual flows after some rain- the tubes clogged together in rushing water, very sad and tragic story. Our tubing was exceptional, I was very psyched to see the palms which are reported to be some of the largest in the world. They were amazing, as were the other native plants. The included meal was delicious. The drive not so fun...foggy in the morning, took an hour, kind of creepy not being able to see anything (not to mention possibly dangerous in such heavy fog).

Hoping for some more recent comments....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

what it all boils down to is this ,

do you want to drink

do you want to get wet

or do you want to learn there history

Altun Ha/River Wallace excursion through Carnival is the best thing i have ever done on a cruise, i love history and seeing old things.

been there 3 times and going again soon.

The best thing about Belize were the plantain chips.We went to Geoffs Caye and there really is not a beach .The people were laying out on these piers that jut into the water.I had been to caymen the year before also on the Magic and the beaches and the water were beautiful.I expected the water in Belize to be the clear blue water and it wasnt..Roaton wasnt any better.It is a place with a lot of poverty and it is not pretty at allWhen we went to the market ai saw they were selling mosquito repellent everywhere.I have never seen this before on a vacationApparantly there are bugs in the sand that bite.

We were on the Magic last December and it stopped in Roaton and Belize.We took an excursion to Caye Caulker.I was expe ting white sand beaches and blue water.When we docked in Belize I saw mosquito repellent for sale in the open air market.There are no sand beaches on Caye Caulker, the people were sunbathing on piers that jutted out into the water.Thr best thing about Belize were the plantain chips which were delicious.We had been to Caymen Islands the year before which I loved.There is a lot of poverty in Belize and the water is like Galveston, grey not blue. We saw a lot of backpackers.

We visited on the Carnival Legend in April. We visited Xunantunich on the 7+ hour cruise ship excursion. We had. 14 yr old and a 16 yr old with us. It was a wonderful day. We saw so much of this BEAUTIFUL country - including Guatemala since it is visible from Xunantunich. My mother has visited the town of Punta Gorda 3 times. My 2nd (of 4) daughters went with her the last time when she was 17. Belize is probably the wealthiest of the northern Central American countries. Belize City just is it's poorest part. I'd fly down if it weren't so expensive.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app