Anyone Used Kindal ,Nook or new Nexus 7 On Board

firecapt25

Has anyone used any of the new E-Readers Nook Color 8GB ,Kindal fire or Nexus 7 on board ship and did you have service. I know you have to pay for using web, main question ,would they work while on Med Cruise.I know most places in Europe that we are visiting has free Wifi . And I heard that the Jade has Wifi in cabins, trying to beable to keep up whats going on at home in case something happen to older parents who are in late 70's.

I have used my Kindle, but just to read, so I didn't need "service" as the books were already downloaded.

Regardless of your device, if you access the ships wifi, you will pay the high charges for their service.

Have a great cruise!

I feel stupid for asking this, but there is a password (or something) to use the ship's wi-fi right? You can't accidently run up charges? I mean, otherwise, how could one even be charged? I ask because I have a Kindle Touch, and I'm forever accidently turning on its 3G, and if there's a chance I'll be charged a fee for that, I'd be better off leaving it at home!!

But either of the units will work while in Europe or on the ship right? I know Norwegian charges 55.00 for 100 minutes. But I plan to use while on shore. Just hate to bring lap top thats why asking about nook or Kindal or Nexus.

Yes, a WiFi tablet should work anywhere there is WiFi for web surfing/email/etc. Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, iPad, whatever - it's not a device dependent thing.

But either of the units will work while in Europe or on the ship right? I know Norwegian charges 55.00 for 100 minutes. But I plan to use while on shore. Just hate to bring lap top thats why asking about nook or Kindal or Nexus.

Yes, as long as you have wifi Internet it works just like at it does at home. If you plan on reading, just download your books ahead of time at home. If you have email set up, when you are at a coffee shop or McDonald's etc and they have wifi you should have no problems with your email or using your browser.

Judi.

I will have a list of wifi places with me on the ship that I will be glad to share.

I feel stupid for asking this, but there is a password (or something) to use the ship's wi-fi right? You can't accidently run up charges? I mean, otherwise, how could one even be charged? I ask because I have a Kindle Touch, and I'm forever accidently turning on its 3G, and if there's a chance I'll be charged a fee for that, I'd be better off leaving it at home!!

Be careful. For the WIFI, there's a login / password required. For 3G there is not.

3G is cellular, WIFI is wireless.........two different types of access.

The 3G will continually query the local Cell Tower (which is onboard), and I believe the charges are $2.95 / minute.

Even when you're on shore in Europe, your 3G would be subject to roaming charges, potentially.

Be careful. For the WIFI, there's a login / password required. For 3G there is not.

3G is cellular, WIFI is wireless.........two different types of access.

The 3G will continually query the local Cell Tower (which is onboard), and I believe the charges are $2.95 / minute.

Even when you're on shore in Europe, your 3G would be subject to roaming charges, potentially.

I have no idea what the other brands hardware will do, but if the Kindle 3G connects with the ship's cell phone tower you will not be charged. (In my experience it would not connect with the ship's tower.)

You don't pay for the 3G service on the Kindle...it's included with the price you pay for the equipment upon purchase. There's no mechanism to bill you for connecting to the ship's tower, or any other 3G service you may encounter. It works globally, on authorized systems, at no charge. Here's the explanation from Amazon.com :

* Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi with free 3G? To shop for books, newspapers, and other content, or to use popular features like Whispersync - which automatically syncs your annotations, bookmarks, and last page read across devices - you'll need to have a wireless connection.

All Kindles, with the exception of Kindle DX, come with built-in Wi-Fi, enabling you to connect to a Wi-Fi network at home, the office, and more. Our Kindles with free 3G wireless are our easiest Kindles to use - there's no wireless set-up, so you can shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. With free 3G wireless, you can also download books anytime, anywhere while on the go. The free 3G wireless has no annual contracts or monthly fees and works globally.

Archived