Westerdam - Key West

sail7seas

Chances are you'll be at Key West's B Pier, which is the pier in between Mallory Square/Dock and the Navy Mole, and from where you can also easily walk into town. Westerdam is scheduled there for all her Key West calls in NOV, DEC and JAN.

Oh darn Copper is that what the (B) is for? I wasn't sure, when I saw it. So then the (M) is for Mallory.

Sorry Sails, I guess I gave you the wrong information, Copper is right.

John a question if I may??

Is the Naval Yard/Docks an active duty station or?

Joanie

Largely inactive; The Navy still ownes the pier. Naval Station Key West doesn't exist anymore. The co-located Truman Annex is still partly a military installation

Oh darn Copper is that what the (B) is for? I wasn't sure, when I saw it. So then the (M) is for Mallory.

:) That's okay, Melodie.

You tried to help.

You've got it Ma'am;)

B = B Pier

M = Mallory Dock

***** = Outer Mole/Navy Mole/former Naval Station Key West

Largely inactive; The Navy still ownes the pier. Naval Station Key West doesn't exist anymore. The co-located Truman Annex is still partly a military installation

Hmmm... Sounds like they will have a Base Exchange at least. So think I may take a ride on my scooter to the base.

Thanks John!!

Joanie

Hmmm... Sounds like they will have a Base Exchange at least. So think I may take a ride on my scooter to the base.

Thanks John!!

Joanie

As far as I know, there's no NEX inside Truman Annex. You would have to ride your scooter to Naval Air Station Key West for that one

You've got it Ma'am;)

B = B Pier

M = Mallory Dock

***** = Outer Mole/Navy Mole/former Naval Station Key West

So I'm guessing that ***** is the furthest pier out. Am I wrong in thinking that sometimes cruise ship anchor out and tender in sometimes to Key West?

So I'm guessing that OM is the furthest pier out. Am I wrong in thinking that sometimes cruise ship anchor out and tender in sometimes to Key West?

That is correct Melodie. The Navy Mole is the furthest out from town and "sits by itself" connected to the Truman Annex, part of which is still a military complex. It still being Navy/Government property, there is no wandering , or wondering, allowed on the pier which is why a tram service provides transportation to the Annex' gate. There is docking space for three cruise ships in Key West. I'm not aware of any tendering ops going on there

KeyWestmap2.gif

Maybe this helps; Navy Mole is in the green area, just opposite the word "Submarine Basin" on the outer, sea side

The B Pier, sometimes referred to as the Westin Pier due to the close proximity of the Westin Hotel, is located at the bottom yellow "S" just above Hilton Marina

Mallory Dock is located at the top yellow "S"

KeyWestBPierDock.gif

The RCI ship in this pic is berthed starboard side alongside the

B Pier. Mallory Dock, in front of her, is unoccupied

KeyWestBPierDock2.jpg

This shot is taken from a vessel berthed at the B Pier. You're looking at Mallory Dock unoccupied in front with two concrete "dolphins" on either side

IMG_2330.jpg

Zaandam at the Navy Mole with one of the Conch Tour Trains providing a shuttle service. If you look through the rear portion of the train, you'll see one of the Key West Old Town Trolleys at ZADM's gangway

IMG_2340.jpg

Zaandam at the Navy Mole and RCI's Majesty of the Seas at the

B Pier. The Navy Mole is still used by visiting Navy and/or Coast Guard vessels to Key West. Even when a cruise ship is berthed at the Navy Mole, visiting Naval/Coast Guard vessels will enter the Submarine Basin and berth on the inner part of the mole opposite the cruise ship

I really enjoyed Key West when we were there. Great area to have as a port stop. Would love to go back, I'm jealous you all will be stoping there.

Joanie is this on your 'cake' cruise?:D:D

Yep, it sho 'nuff is:) One of the reasons it is even more of a "Sweet Treat" to go there:D:D

EDITED TO ADD: Looks like it is a good thing hubby and I have military ID cards and can walk/ride my scooter around the docks/base. There aint no way in Hades that I'd be able to get my scooter onto that tram thingy.

Joanie

I don't think cruise ships anchor and tender at Key West.

When we stopped at Key West on Crystal Serenity it was a tender port, I remember because it was a very windy cool January day making for an exciting tender ride:D

When we stopped at Key West on Crystal Serenity it was a tender port, I remember because it was a very windy cool January day making for an exciting tender ride:D

How many other ships were in Key West with you?

Or do you think that because of the winds the captain and port authority decided not to try and dock the ship?

Great photos, Copper.

I'll be thrilled if we are a "B" Dock.

I will be less thrilled if we are at Mole. Been there and done that and it was less than wonderful. IMO :D

Thanks for giving us perfect views and descriptions.

Sounds like that was a special set of circumstances and done as a way for the ship to not miss calling at the port.

It is not 'usual and regular'.

Great Captain didn't want to disappoint his guests if there was an alternative.......... sounds like.

Yep, it sho 'nuff is:) One of the reasons it is even more of a "Sweet Treat" to go there:D:D

EDITED TO ADD: Looks like it is a good thing hubby and I have military ID cards and can walk/ride my scooter around the docks/base. There aint no way in Hades that I'd be able to get my scooter onto that tram thingy.

Joanie

The Conch Train is HC accessible.

Archived