Port or Starbard?

BoardwalkBabe

It varies by port. In our experience:

St. Lucia: Starboard is dockside with a good view. Port looks across the harbor

St. Kitts: Ships dock with the bow toward land. Depending on what side of the dock you could be looking at open water or another ship.

Barbados: similar to St. Kitts.

I really don't think it makes a big difference.

Don't worry about the ports. Docks can change, boats can back in, etc. Instead look at the route and pick the side that best works for you in terms of the sun. We are NOT morning people, so if heading generally south I try for starboard, north for port to avoid the morning glare. Some people like the morning sun and try the obverse. Then again, you do usually have to go back the way you came for some part of the journey.

I've never paid attention to which side of the ship I'm on as in some ports, I'm overlooking the terminal (not always the most scenic view) and in other ports, I'm overlooking the harbor with a view. If the ship is anchored, it can change direction with the tide so that you might look towards shore in the morning and out to sea in the afternoon.

Don't worry about the ports. Docks can change, boats can back in, etc. Instead look at the route and pick the side that best works for you in terms of the sun. We are NOT morning people, so if heading generally south I try for starboard, north for port to avoid the morning glare. Some people like the morning sun and try the obverse. Then again, you do usually have to go back the way you came for some part of the journey.
I agree with Loonbeam that on almost all (but there are a few exceptions) cruises, don't pick a port or starboard cabin for the view. Sun is a consideration on some cruises such as TAs, around Cape Horn, full Panama Canal transits and similar cruises but for round trip cruises such as FLL you will have sun one way or the other so for many cruises it really doesn't make any difference IMHO.

I also take into account the sun for sunsets. Yes you are doing round trips so it doesn't really matter but some cruises you go south slowly and come back up very quickly (or the other way around). On those cruises we pick the side where we will get the most sunsets from our balcony.

We tend to eat late and get ready for pre-dinner cocktails right around sunset. It's nice to do so with the sun setting off your balcony.

i agree with the others, it really doesn't matter. we have been on b2b with the exact same itinerary and have docked at different spots or docked differently (ie backed in) at the same port.

My main issue is not to have sun all afternoon, but you will need to look at your itinerary to decide when that would be. If they quickly head south then slowly make their way back up north I choose a starboard cabin. But I would never be disappointed whatever side i got.

vickie

The only time I have ever been really concerned with location on the ship is for my SA cruise. I would like to be starboard. Currently, I am in the GTY pool, so I am nowhere...:)
Our South American cruise was one of the exceptions for us. High winds delayed our departure from Ushuaia by seven hours and Punta Arenas was cancelled the next day. Instead we cruised very slowly up the Beagle Channel where westbound all of Glaciers are to the north or starboard side. We had a great view from our balcony for hours. This was not part of our original itinerary and just happened by chance. If our itinerary had not changed, even on the SA cruise it really didn't make a difference because you aren't close enough to see land when you are cruising during the day.

Our South American cruise was one of the exceptions for us. High winds delayed our departure from Ushuaia by seven hours and Punta Arenas was cancelled the next day. Instead we cruised very slowly up the Beagle Channel where westbound all of Glaciers are to the north or starboard side. We had a great view from our balcony for hours. This was not part of our original itinerary and just happened by chance. If our itinerary had not changed, even on the SA cruise it really didn't make a difference because you aren't close enough to see land when you are cruising during the day.

Thank you for that... I was really sweating getting a starboard cabin for my mom. Now, I will just relax a bit!:) Sorry that you missed your ports, though.:(

Thank you for that... I was really sweating getting a starboard cabin for my mom. Now, I will just relax a bit!:) Sorry that you missed your ports, though.:(
We rounded Cape Horn going west from the Falklands, turned 180 degrees and rounded Cape Horn going east. Both sides of the ship could see Cape Horn from their cabins as it passed by. At least that was our experience.

With the weather (and unfortunately the political situation) in SA you need to be flexible and be prepared for missed ports and altered itineraries. I consider it part of the adventure of sailing. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

Agree with this. The ports don't influence our decision, but where the sun is going to be in the afternoons most of the sea days helps us determine which side we book. This is if we are in a balcony. In an OV makes no difference whatsoever.

My DW also loves the afternoon sun on the balcony on the sea days so I check the ships sailing direction and pick the side that will be westerly for the afternoon sun.

Agree with this. The ports don't influence our decision, but where the sun is going to be in the afternoons most of the sea days helps us determine which side we book. This is if we are in a balcony. In an OV makes no difference whatsoever.

Archived