Considering Seabourn

alainciao

We are Regent lovers and have cruised no other luxury lines. However, the itinerary and timing of the Quest's 41 day World Voyage in March 2013 from Singapore to Venice works perfectly for us. My concern is booking such a long cruise for the first cruise on this line. We love the "feel" of the Voyager and I am a little concerned that the contemporary design of the Quest will be very different and perhaps even a turnoff. I know this is a matter of personal preference which we have no way of really determing but I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Alainciao

I have sailed both the Voyager and the Sojourn and Odyssey. The latter are smaller, but otherwise not much different. However I much prefer Seabourn. There is a search function and checking the list of topics, it's been well-discussed by others who may have different insights. Many of us opt for the itinerary rather than the ship.

We are Regent lovers and have cruised no other luxury lines. However, the itinerary and timing of the Quest's 41 day World Voyage in March 2013 from Singapore to Venice works perfectly for us. My concern is booking such a long cruise for the first cruise on this line. We love the "feel" of the Voyager and I am a little concerned that the contemporary design of the Quest will be very different and perhaps even a turnoff. I know this is a matter of personal preference which we have no way of really determing but I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Alainciao

I wrote this review about 18 months ago after cruising on Voyager:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1348714&highlight=comparative

Roxburgh,

Thanks for a great comparative review! Regent emphasizes it's "casual elegance" with few formal nights while Seabourn seems to be more formal. Did you notice anything in this respect?

On formal optional nights a large number of Seabourn passengers did get dressed up. However there were still those who followed elegant casual (shirt/slacks with a jacket draped over the back of a chair for the men). So while Seabourn can be more formal it depends on you. You don't need to pack a tux or dark suit. Unlike say Silverseas you won't be removed from a venue for not meeting the Restaurants dress code.

Roxburgh,

Thanks for a great comparative review! Regent emphasizes it's "casual elegance" with few formal nights while Seabourn seems to be more formal. Did you notice anything in this respect?

I didn't find a lot of difference on 'normal' nights. Regent passengers dressed pretty much the same as Seabourn ones. The main difference that I could tell was that the Regent 'formal' night was much less formal than the Seabourn one.

We are Regent lovers and have cruised no other luxury lines. However, the itinerary and timing of the Quest's 41 day World Voyage in March 2013 from Singapore to Venice works perfectly for us. My concern is booking such a long cruise for the first cruise on this line. We love the "feel" of the Voyager and I am a little concerned that the contemporary design of the Quest will be very different and perhaps even a turnoff. I know this is a matter of personal preference which we have no way of really determing but I would appreciate any comments. Thanks. Alainciao

Agree strongly with your wise wisdom to focus on the itinerary and timing.

We have done four different cruises in Europe. Late June 2006 on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles over seven days. Then late July 2008 on the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony, Dover to Stockholm, enxperiencing the Baltics and Russia. In 2010 it was July 1-16 on the 296-passenger Silversea Silver Cloud from Copenhagen seeing the Norway Coast, fjords, above the Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc. All three lines are excellent with great service, fellow passengers, staff, etc. What’s best? The honest answer is . . . “It depends!!!”. Ports, schedules, timing and prices vary much, especially right now with this economy and two of these lines expanding (especially Seabourn) so much. You need to seek what best fits your exact personal needs, budget and interests.

We have not done Regent, but our friends have. These top, luxury lines are all very good. There are differences, but I would focus on itinerary and timing as your top priority. You might find you will like the contemporary design as a freshen up and interesting change.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,731 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,842 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I, too have "jumped ship" from Regent - and am eagerly anticipating my first Seabourn cruise. We have made a serious commitment as our Seabourn cruise is 21-days on the Quest, in the Med this November. Even though I have 21 days on Regent, I also enormously enjoyed 14 days aboard the Silversea Spirit in October 2011. From what I've enjoyed reading on all "Boards", I hope to be completely blown away by Seabourn - most of all the service, next the food quality - both of these are very important to me, and places where I found Regent lacking. I truly believe that Silversea was a step up from my Regent experiences and I'm hoping that Seabourn is another step up from Silversea.

I love the smaller ship experiences, and found that "about" 500 passengers is exactly what I enjoy. Navigator over Voyager/Mariner and hopefully Quest will have the bonus dining and public spaces I enjoy which the "little sisters don't have.

If anyone is aware of a "comparison" between Seabourn and Silversea - similar to the excellent review submitted by Roxburgh, I would really appreciate the link - or the info.

Seabourn... here I come. Fingers crossed.

Jen

We prefer both Seabourn and Regent. Each cruise line and ship has there points of excellence.

We believe you'll be just as comfortable on Quest as you'd be on Voyager. Quest has more private and secluded areas than Voyager (e.g; the private indoor and outdoor spa for a small up-charge), more covered outdoor deck spaces if you can't handle the sun and Seabourn Square is absolutely wonderful from early morning (early risers love it) through out the day and night.

Regent has their exclusive restaurants (e.g; Prime 7) and we've had difficulty getting decent reservation times even with long advanced booking on-line. Seabourn has a lovely pool patio deck restaurant that at night offers a fine menu in addition to several other venues other than main dining room.

We find breakfast on Seabourn far better than Regent...on the Veranda or main dining room. Breakfast on all Regent ships in our opinion is the big disappointment as it's just too much like mass market ships (HAL, Celebrity, etc).

If you enjoy caviar...Seabourn is the place. Anytime, anyplace on ship and you'll get this wonderful treat with Champagne or however you prefer and unlike Regent, there's no charge.

Seabourn seems to have a more personal experience with crew who get to know you by name and making certain your likes and needs are met more so than on Regent in our opinion. Perhaps it's a carry over from the 3 little sister ship service and reputation well earned. We find the Concierge option on Regent in higher priced rooms is the same service one gets in any Seabourn room. Though you won't get a guy in long coat as you do on Regent, your Seabourn housekeeper or whomever you call (room service, etc) will get you what ever you want and when with a smile and efficiency.

Both Voyager and Quest handle big seas well and we could not tell the difference. Quest is 650 feet long and takes 450 guests. Voyager is 670 feet long taking 700 guests. As such, we find Quest far less crowded feeling with few if any lines for any venue or event.

Enjoy...

Archived