Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

In a one-on-one interview this weekend aboard the Breakaway's first sailing with passengers, Sheehan tells USA TODAY the new ships are the result of a team effort that was rare at the company before he arrived. Ship design under previous management "was kind of like a little secret thing" done by the CEO without much consultation, and that led to problems, he says.

Sheehan already was CEO in 2010 when the line took delivery of the 4,100-passenger Norwegian Epic, a ship that was designed before his arrival that was widely criticized for obvious design mistakes such as poor lighting above cabin bathroom mirrors and stylish but non-functional sink faucets.

Sheehan says it took 15 months to fix the problems with Epic, which he now calls "a great ship."

Breakaway, by contrast, was done right the first time, thanks to input from around the company, he says.

"We're a team of 20,000 hard-working people, and when we all work together we're going to do much better things that if we work as individuals," he says.

Sheehan says the Norwegian Breakaway also is a symbol of the line's shift from competing on price with low-cost provider Carnival to being a brand designed to go head-to-head with Celebrity Cruises, Holland America and other lines that industry executives often refer to as "premium."

When he first arrived, Sheehan says he told executives that "when we get through this, our brand will be the top brand in the premium category, and I know a lot of people thought I was crazy. Maybe some of them still do, but when you look at this brand Norwegian Cruise Line (today) and you compare it to Holland America or Princess or Celebrity, it really stands up well."

Sheehan says he set a goal of turning Norwegian into the "hot brand" of the cruise industry, and it's a goal he says the company has achieved.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130428/NEWS01/130428003/CEO-New-ship-symbol-Norwegian-s-transformation

Sheehan should re-think those balcony sizes to achieve that "hot brand" lline.;)

found online:

?url=%2F%2Ftwitpic.com%2Fshow%2Flarge%2Fcovj8w&resize=1&w=490

The view from my cabin on @NCL_UK #norwegianbreakaway - @British_Airways Concorde! twitpic.com/covj8w

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FBJpb2a1CAAAFpi4.jpg

Great view (via @EarthCam) of @CruiseNorwegian's brand new Norwegian Breakaway sailing past the Statue of Liberty! pic.twitter.com/13V3JYQE4i

Tweet

"he's had to drop fwd two lifeboats to fit into port! "

BJqSdHCCIAEmiJk.jpg:large

All of my cruises out of Manhattan have had the ship docked with starboard next to the terminal building. What about all of you? Perhaps it's portside to the terminal building because of the inaugural activities? And that it's better viewed from the street the way it's currently docked? Any thoughts?

Elaine...I really like to have things laid out visually so I put together this chart when I was planning my shows. I hope it helps.

THANK YOU very, very much! I just printed and saved this chart. Wonderful.

Thank you everybody for the pictures, so exciting. If I still lived in Staten Island I probably would have been by Verrazano bridge watching it live.:)

Hi. Where did you live in Staten Island? I live in Westerleigh but grew up in West Brighton.

So I just read that the automatic wine machines in the studio lounge charge a 15% gratuity. Thats hilarious and a little upsetting!

I am a bartender. Maybe I will get one of these machine for when I am on vacation.:)

OMG! I was wondering. Is it "gratuity" or just "bar service". Either way, it's wrong! This reminds me of telling my MIL she will be charged the corkage fee for a bottle of wine even if SHE opens it and drinks it in her room.

Hi. Where did you live in Staten Island? I live in Westerleigh but grew up in West Brighton.

Hi JS, I lived on Huguenot, not far away from Arthur Kill Rd, but prior to that in Brooklyn in Bensonhurst. 9 years ago we moved to Florida. My husband and I September 11 survivors. I didn't want to live in a big city after that, plus I don't miss the shoveling. :D

The Breakaway is very sentimental to us.

CC is doing a live Q&A right now,

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/live_stream/?id=7&ss=1

You know, I'm struggling to see the point of this live Q&A to be honest...the funny thing is I have yet to see one fact or question that has been asked in it that hasn't already been asked, and in 90% of cases been answered, in this very thread. Like "where you can smoke and not smoke"...we already knew this...and "noise in M6's from the theater"...the M6's are much much more forward of the actual theater which is obvious on the deck plans. And the best one, in the answer to the small balconies question, "we'll have a look tomorrow and see exactly how small they are"...um, I think the many photos of standard balconies we've seen have plainly answered that question with no further clarification needed: their freaking tiny!

Ok sorry, that was my rant for the afternoon, carry on :cool: :rolleyes:

You know, I'm struggling to see the point of this live Q&A to be honest...the funny thing is I have yet to see one fact or question that has been asked in it that hasn't already been asked, and in 90% of cases been answered, in this very thread. Like "where you can smoke and not smoke"...we already knew this...and "noise in M6's from the theater"...the M6's are much much more forward of the actual theater which is obvious on the deck plans. And the best one, in the answer to the small balconies question, "we'll have a look tomorrow and see exactly how small they are"...um, I think the many photos of standard balconies we've seen have plainly answered that question with no further clarification needed: their freaking tiny!

Yeah I noticed the same thing, plus a few of the answers were off...

Thanks so much for your help. We thought it would be fun to take the kids to Tappenaki. I'll let my sister know what you said but I am SOOO happy to hear about the tables of 10.

Moderno, I think we will skip it. I am not a big meat eater, although my dh can do his share for both of us. I think I will have the adults do Ocean Blue and LeBistro. Does that sound good for two nice specialty restaurants? OR, maybe Cagneys. I think we can do Cagneys and Ocean Blue. I'll try to get our ressie by calling at 45 days out.

Thanks so much again!

You sail before I do, actually if you are sailing on May 26 that is my birthday :)

We sail July 21 and can't wait!

You should seriously consider taking your kids to Teppenaki. My 4, 7, and 10 year olds love it. It is dinner and a show. They do not charge full price for kids unless the order a full meal. They made Udon (sp?) noodles for my 4 year old and charged nothing for her. My other two girls were half price...and they ate from the Teppenaki menu

... And the best one, in the answer to the small balconies question, "we'll have a look tomorrow and see exactly how small they are"...

:D Love it ! :D

Tom

The Q&A session made me realize I need to get a side job blogging cruises and writing off the cruises I take ...

I definitely think that NCL needs to refer to these "balconies" as balconettes (as someone here coined them) as they are an insult to real balconies. Having sailed on the Dawn, which is a far smaller ship, and having a standard balcony that was much bigger than these-- seems insane to me. If I had paid for a standard balcony and then seen these pictures I would definitely change my reservation, even if it meant an ocean view. :eek:

I thought the same thing but wondered if we were not the only ones that had access to this Q/A. Us meaning CC. I wondered if "others" were given a link via e-mail or a booth in NYC or something similar.

You should seriously consider taking your kids to Teppenaki. My 4, 7, and 10 year olds love it. It is dinner and a show. They do not charge full price for kids unless the order a full meal. They made Udon (sp?) noodles for my 4 year old and charged nothing for her. My other two girls were half price...and they ate from the Teppenaki menu

Thank you. My kids are 19 and 15 but we wanted my sister to take her kids with us which are younger. It is like an Arirang/Bennihana, etc., which they have been before and think they will like it. We think it will be a fun experience for them and I'm going to book at 45 days out, hopefully for our first night onboard.

Thanks so much I am so happy you enjoyed it and appreciate your taking the time to post.

To anyone sailing on Sunday....

Has NCL given you any specific information about a contingency plan if the work on the dock is not finished by next week? Today the Port Bermuda webcam has been showing the tenders going back and forth between the dock and the Dawn.

Hi JS, I lived on Huguenot, not far away from Arthur Kill Rd, but prior to that in Brooklyn in Bensonhurst. 9 years ago we moved to Florida. My husband and I September 11 survivors. I didn't want to live in a big city after that, plus I don't miss the shoveling. :D

The Breakaway is very sentimental to us.

Hi simleysmiley. Enjoy the warmth in Florida. Still chilly here!!

Archived