Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Looks like the crew are testing "the plank"l

698869_0_articleorg_380_008_9439344_150nclplan.jpg

That is the plank, see the guy with a harness on!?! The Plank will be an extension of the ropes course that will extend 8 feet over the side of the ship. This will let passengers (who will wear a harness) ”Walk the Plank”.

"Stupid idea" or not, seems to be the direction some cruise lines are headed.

28mkard.jpg

I think you're right....each newbuild seems to be in a race to out-wow the competition. Kind of like Las Vegas at sea. Anyone been on the 'wheel' atop the Stratosphere hotel? Looks like sooner or later, someone will have the first roller coaster at sea. Some newbuilds have a water slide that comes close....

I'm watching the Gem live on both the NCL and Harbor webcams right now. At around 4:11 she was just starting to pull out, now she is still passing Manhattan at 4:32. Well post when she passes under the bridge to see about how long...

Robin

I think you're right....each newbuild seems to be in a race to out-wow the competition. Kind of like Las Vegas at sea. Anyone been on the 'wheel' atop the Stratosphere hotel? Looks like sooner or later, someone will have the first roller coaster at sea. Some newbuilds have a water slide that comes close....

I love the Disney ship (is it the Dream?) that has a see thru slide area out over the side. Must be cool if you can keep your eyes open to see out!

Robin

That is the plank, see the guy with a harness on!?! The Plank will be an extension of the ropes course that will extend 8 feet over the side of the ship. This will let passengers (who will wear a harness) ”Walk the Plank”.

But chair hogs and smugglers will be forced to walk the plank without the harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Well, there you have it. Just finished watching the Gem leave NY Harbor. First movement I saw as at 4:11pm, she passes under the Verrazano at 5:08-5:09, so just about an hour today. That NY Harbor cam is amazing! It followed the ship as far as it could, zooming in to show the pilot boat, close ups of the ship, etc. pretty darn cool, even on a foggy messy day like today!

Robin

Loving the pictures! Bliss looks crazy!

One thing I have always been confused about is the weird layout of the pool decks on NCL. I haven't been to able to sail with the line yet but the Epic and Breakaway pool layouts seem really odd. I feel like you could only fit two people in the Haven pool! :eek: But I am loving those slides, the slides are almost enough for me to buy a ticket! :D

Well, there you have it. Just finished watching the Gem leave NY Harbor. First movement I saw as at 4:11pm, she passes under the Verrazano at 5:08-5:09, so just about an hour today. That NY Harbor cam is amazing! It followed the ship as far as it could, zooming in to show the pilot boat, close ups of the ship, etc. pretty darn cool, even on a foggy messy day like today!

Robin

Was watching also. Around 4 there was a RCL ship that did the same thing. Amazing!

If the Breakaway is anything like the Epic the lights work with the room key. What I did on the Epic is brought an old 'room key' from a hotel I had used in the past and kept that there instead of my cabin key card. It worked!

Any old bit of plastic (or probably something like cardboard) would do.

However, apparently it's going to be more complicated than that on the Breakaway.

We reached the magical 45 days to sailing today-made our reservations for Cirque!! Was watching the portofbermuda web cam -wow-what noise from the pilings being drilled.

Scrolled down on the site and saw that on Thursday nights in the Victualing Yard there are concerts featuring John Lennon music-think it is a free show.

Also, there are re-enactments in the Dockyard on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. Something else to make our Breakaway experience fantastic as if the ship isn't enough!!:)

I love the Disney ship (is it the Dream?) that has a see thru slide area out over the side. Must be cool if you can keep your eyes open to see out!

Robin

It's super fun, called the Aquaduck. It's easy to keep your eyes open because the slide doesn't go uber fast, but it's a lot of fun. We videotaped ourselves on it a couple of months ago.

Archived