Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Is the ropes course the yellow and red things behind the smoke stacks? I was wondering what those things are.

Ya that's it.

- On the live feed, the tug is right at the very edge of the basin. Moving RCCL's Quantum will be interesting, it's about 20m longer than Breakaway!

No duck tail but what the heck is the pink and white thing in front? I don't think it adds to the look :)

What pink and white thing?:confused:

That black box welded onto her stern must be some contraption for parachutes, top fuel drag cars style. :)

Edit: The live video feed zoomed into the bridge, several people were in there and we can see temporary florescent tube lights hanging from the ceiling, lots of work to be done still.

Annnd we're back!

So looks like show's over for tonight/morning/now. She is now tied alongside the pier and so it's time for me to call it a night; no more Breakaway floataway fun for the time being.

Have a great evening everyone!:)

They'll swing the bow around and put her at the dock on the right side. The aft will be close to the doorway near that crane.

The bulbous bow is common for large ships. It changes how the water flows across the hull, increasing fuel efficiency, speed and stability. Once she is loaded with the proper ballast that bow will sit below the surface and you won't see it

What ever they're doing now, I don't think I've ever seen in any other float out. I can't imagine that they're going to try and bring the bow closer to shore, then swing the ship around by the stern.

Ya do they usually not swing the ships around and dock at the right side with the crane?

From the live feed there is a single tow rope securing (not very securely) to the pier on the left. Wonder what's going on, maybe they scratch the paint and are exchanging insurance paper? We can clearly hear some stern sounding German from the live feed. :p

They'll swing the bow around and put her at the dock on the right side. The aft will be close to the doorway near that crane.

The bulbous bow is common for large ships. It changes how the water flows across the hull, increasing fuel efficiency, speed and stability. Once she is loaded with the proper ballast that bow will sit below the surface and you won't see it

The reason I said that was that every other Ems River conveyance has been stern first, towed backwards down the river. Is Norwegian Breakaway going to do her conveyance different, bow first? Unless she is turned around some how that is how she will exit the lock gates out of the lagoon into the river.

Ya do they usually not swing the ships around and dock at the right side with the crane?

From the live feed there is a single tow rope securing (not very securely) to the pier on the left. Wonder what's going on, maybe they scratch the paint and are exchanging insurance paper? We can clearly hear some stern sounding German from the live feed. :p

In all other float outs the ships were built so that the stern exited first, and the ship was moored to the outfitting pier port side to. Then at the conveyance they were towed backwards through the lock gates and down river.

Not sure why Norwegian Breakway was built 'backwards'.

Lost you for awhile. Came in around 2:00 am and thought I missed the whole thing - but then I saw the tip of the bow peek out of the shed :D.

Webcams are great and really enjoying all your comments. Thank you SDMike for the great screenshots.

Nearly fell off my chair when she blew her horn :eek:.

In all other float outs the ships were built so that the stern exited first, and the ship was moored to the outfitting pier port side to.

Not sure why Norwegian Breakway was built 'backwards'.

You got it, and now Getaway is being built in the "right" direction. Either way though, it looks like the basin is big enough for these mega ships to turn 360 degrees. Shouldn't have a problem turning Breakaway around if they feel the conveyance is better done backwards.

So now that the floatout is almost/pretty much over, what does everyone think of the ship? Anything new that you saw? Any changes or surprises?

Edit: Ya the floatout definitely seems to be over for now. She is moored securely from the stern with several ropes now too.

You got it, and now Getaway is being built in the "right" direction. Either way though, it looks like the basin is big enough for these mega ships to turn 360 degrees. Shouldn't have a problem turning Breakaway around if they feel the conveyance is better done backwards.

I noticed that it appeared Getaway was being built for a 'stern first' exit. Odd though that after all of the Celebrity Soltice class ships, Disney's new builds, the previous Radiance and Gem class from RCI and NCL, all built stern first, this one ship was done different. :confused:

Both tugs are gone. Breakaway is not floating away anytime soon.

I noticed that it appeared Getaway was being built for a 'stern first' exit. Odd though that after all of the Celebrity Soltice class ships, Disney's new builds, the previous Radiance and Gem class from RCI and NCL, all built stern first, this one ship was done different. :confused:

Meyer Werft did say they used a new technique to build Breakaway in a shorter period of time, maybe they now realize they can keep building using the new techniques but can built them in the traditional direction?

Edit: Engines are on, smoke coming out from the stacks. Hope it's not a fire! No worries though, no need to spend 3 days waiting to be towed back to port and definitely no feces running down these walls.

I think Cruise Critic had a blackout! ;)

I think you are correct. Cleaned up the kitchen and am now really ready to get a few hours sleep. This was my first float out and I really enjoyed the slow motion viewing of the ship.

I think Breakaway and Getaway are going to be beautiful and will have a lot to offer. Looks like it will be 2015 before I find out for myself unless pricing comes down and I switch the 8 day Epic for 7 day Getaway.

Lol ya, definitely time to go to sleep!

Last thought, from the bow, Breakaway is the exact colour of the Smurfs. Now, is Breakaway more the Papa Smurf or Smurfette lol. :D

G'nite everyone!

G'nite from Australia to Canada :)

Any changes or surprises?

IMO it looks like the spa suites, S9, will not have clear glass between the tub and ocean as indicated in this link. :confused: A porthole maybe????

I hope I'm wrong.

http://www.breakaway.ncl.com/ship/staterooms/the-haven-spa-suite-with-balcony/

http://images54.fotki.com/v77/photos/6/649277/6412246/ueberfuehrung25-vi.jpg

Anyone else notice how the deck 16 starboard S4 and S5 balconies are not separated by cabin glass/bathrooms like on the Epic. So perhaps less private.

It also appears some have a side light next to the slider to balcony.

It also appears 16722 has a smaller balcony than 16720. It looks like 16722 didn't get a side light because it is a smaller balcony.

I know I would choose 16706, 8, 20 and 22 S4's over the others due to this design, at least on starboard.

However I wouldn't want to stay over the gym.

Any pics of the ports side haven balconies? I've never seen any.

That's something I am looking forward too.

I suppose they will be available shortly.;)

I planning on the Getaway in 2015. :)

Hi can you point out 16714 for me? Thanks

Archived