Sterling Silver Jewelry

I have 2 pairs of Sterling hoops which I love. And, since I wear them all of the time, I would wear them on my next cruise. :)

Both pairs have developed discoloration. I looked up on-line and read that silver polish would remove tarnish ( I knew this) and that white vinegar would remove rust. Well, the silver polish did nothing.

So, I tried the vinegar. The discoloration has gone from orange to pink. Any ideas????

I actually think the best solution is a pair of white gold hoops, but I will have to wait and see if DH follows through for my birthday.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Sounds like they aren't solid sterling, but coated with silver...and it sounds like the silver has worn away.

Silver is soft, so jewelry is seldom 100% of any soft metal. It's usually overlaid onto something more sturdy, like nickel or another cheap metal.

I'd look into buying new hoops, if that's the style you like!

The best way to get tarnish off real SS is with a polishing cloth, you can buy one at any bead shop, local or online, assuming it is real SS. I would never use liquid polish. Not good for your jewelry. Many jewelers will also clean jewelry for free, my local one steams things clean.

Also, if you know anyone who makes jewelry, they may have a rock tumbler. I use mine to harden and polish 'sturdier' pieces, or handmade clasps and such. (No delicate chains, that type of thing.)

Sterling jewelry (including hoops) will gain a lovely warm look (not discoloration) as they are worn - - with just cloth polishing if you want them shiny. You might consider more than one styles of sterling earrings rather than spending more on white gold. Or you might just enjoy white gold more.

The best way to get tarnish off real SS is with a polishing cloth, you can buy one at any bead shop, local or online, assuming it is real SS. I would never use liquid polish. Not good for your jewelry. Many jewelers will also clean jewelry for free, my local one steams things clean.

Also, if you know anyone who makes jewelry, they may have a rock tumbler. I use mine to harden and polish 'sturdier' pieces, or handmade clasps and such. (No delicate chains, that type of thing.)

Seriously, a tumbler?? I thought those were designed to remove roughness or imperfectuibs by the tumbling. What do you put in one to polish rather than scratch?

As far as free pollishing, once at an art show had a jewery maker ask to see a bracelet I was wearing His wife distracted me and he handed back a piece of shiny silver.....I about died. My vintage bracelet had all the lovely age/patina removed. Any of my jewelry now is only admired while still on me!

Seriously, a tumbler?? I thought those were designed to remove roughness or imperfectuibs by the tumbling. What do you put in one to polish rather than scratch?

As far as free pollishing, once at an art show had a jewery maker ask to see a bracelet I was wearing His wife distracted me and he handed back a piece of shiny silver.....I about died. My vintage bracelet had all the lovely age/patina removed. Any of my jewelry now is only admired while still on me!

A tumbler with stainless steel shot, just enough water to cover it, and a tiny drop of Dawn ORIGINAL dish detergent. It can remove roughness and imperfections, but will also shine and harden silver. Like if I make a bracelet clasp out of 20 or 22 gauge silver, it needs to be hardened before use, especially 22.

A tumbler with stainless steel shot, just enough water to cover it, and a tiny drop of Dawn ORIGINAL dish detergent. It can remove roughness and imperfections, but will also shine and harden silver. Like if I make a bracelet clasp out of 20 or 22 gauge silver, it needs to be hardened before use, especially 22.

Thanks! Using that formula to harden just a clasp makes sense.

I just had visions of someone dumping their beautiful large bracelets or things in a tumbler and scratching the heck out of them or bending them.

And, yes, I do know people who would do it and then say they'd read advice to do so!:D

Thanks! Using that formula to harden just a clasp makes sense.

I just had visions of someone dumping their beautiful large bracelets or things in a tumbler and scratching the heck out of them or bending them.

And, yes, I do know people who would do it and then say they'd read advice to do so!:D

Don't get me wrong, I've used it to shine up earrings and bracelets with no problems. It's all about the materials involved. Diamonds, sapphires, delicate chain? Heck no. Sturdy chain, tougher gemstones, Swarovskis, no problem.

I agree; I use my tumbler and stainless shot all the time to clean my chain maille designs. You can also use white rice in your tumbler; it's gentler than stainless steel shot which makes it especially good if you want to clean "antiqued" silver without removing all of the oxidization.

I agree; I use my tumbler and stainless shot all the time to clean my chain maille designs. You can also use white rice in your tumbler; it's gentler than stainless steel shot which makes it especially good if you want to clean "antiqued" silver without removing all of the oxidization.

White rice?? Tell me more. Do you put in any Dawn or just the rice? I'm guessing this is more for just cleaning than hardening? I've never heard of this before. I'm intrigued.

White rice?? Tell me more. Do you put in any Dawn or just the rice? I'm guessing this is more for just cleaning than hardening? I've never heard of this before. I'm intrigued.

No, you don't use Dawn or any water, just the dry white rice and you're right, this is just for cleaning, not for hardening or removing burrs. It works really well and is gentler than shot so it takes longer. Like I said previously, it's especially good for cleaning "antiqued" silver because it doesn't have the pointed ends that shot has so it doesn't remove the oxidization from the cracks and crevasses.

No, you don't use Dawn or any water, just the dry white rice and you're right, this is just for cleaning, not for hardening or removing burrs. It works really well and is gentler than shot so it takes longer. Like I said previously, it's especially good for cleaning "antiqued" silver because it doesn't have the pointed ends that shot has so it doesn't remove the oxidization from the cracks and crevasses.

Thanks for explaining. Very interesting.

And I think we've officially bored anyone who just wears jewelry. :p

Ooh - I have a tumbler (I use for rocks & glass - I don't make jewelry) What can I clean using white rice? I just cleaned out my jewelry drawer last week and have a big tray of silver things I need to clean & polish! Could I do rings? I have mostly earrings and rings that need to be cleaned. I'm assuming that posts would be too delicate....

Ooh - I have a tumbler (I use for rocks & glass - I don't make jewelry) What can I clean using white rice? I just cleaned out my jewelry drawer last week and have a big tray of silver things I need to clean & polish! Could I do rings? I have mostly earrings and rings that need to be cleaned. I'm assuming that posts would be too delicate....

Given that rice is going to be much more gentle than stainless steel shot, I'd say your options are bigger. I put post earrings in my tumbler now with no issues. But it depends on what they're attached to. Same with rings-do they have stones with delicate settings? I would think with the rice, you'd probably be ok, but let's wait for the experienced rice user to chime in. :)

I don't know this from my own experience but I have read that once a tumbler has been used for rock tumbling, you should NEVER use it for jewellery. Even a tiny sliver of rock left imbedded in the side of the barrel can cause serious scratching in your silver.

If you want to use your tumbler for cleaning jewellery, I would suggest getting a new barrel dedicated for just that.

I don't know this from my own experience but I have read that once a tumbler has been used for rock tumbling, you should NEVER use it for jewellery. Even a tiny sliver of rock left imbedded in the side of the barrel can cause serious scratching in your silver

Well, true or not, that's enough of a deterrent to make me polish the old fashioned way:eek:

Speaking of chainmail... what is good to clean it if I don't have a tumbler? My favorite pair of earings could use a cleaning and for some reason I never thought to ask my many friends that make it how to care for it, lol.

Speaking of chainmail... what is good to clean it if I don't have a tumbler? My favorite pair of earings could use a cleaning and for some reason I never thought to ask my many friends that make it how to care for it, lol.

Ask one of your friends to put it in their tumbler!

Other than that, unless you want it to get a nice patina/vintage-y look, I might try a jeweler who maybe cleans with steam. You'll never get a polishing cloth everywhere in maille. And liquid polish = bad bad bad!

As long as your earrings are silver and not just silver plated it is super easy to clean them using just hot water, salt, baking soda and aluminum foil, Here are some directions:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/silverdip.htm

After they are clean, keep them in a zip lock bag when you're not wearing them and they will take much longer to tarnish.

Archived