Dad Passed Away :( Still going...

My father passed away at age 66. It is difficult for all of us but we decided to still go on the cruise we planned for Christmas. Since I am here in Florida right now my mother, sister and I are going to sit down and decide what we need to do.

Our cruise is December 22nd to December 27 leaving from Tampa. We have 2 cabins right now but we are thinking it might be best to upgrade to a suite or something that will be easy for 3 adults to move around. It all depends on what is available.

Any suggestions on what to say to the RC travel agent?

Dad was so looking forward to this cruise.... but he would want us to go on.

Hi Robin,

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your father. I too am sailing around Christmas, the week before. I'm also from Lansing! I hope you enjoy your cruise. Is this your first Royal Caribbean sailing?

We "kids" sent her with a small present to open each day (a small candle, a bar of her favorite chocolate, a book of crossword puzzles, an ornament, etc.) of her trip, with something a bit special for the anniversary, Christmas, and New Year's day. (Aside: It was my wonderful hubby's idea.) She said that going on that trip was the best thing she could have done and that having the presents to brighten each day made the whole trip special and allowed her to celebrate instead of wallow (her words).

beachchick

That IS a great idea! What a clever way to alter the perspective. Kudos, hubby.

So sorry for you!

My suggestion is: Do not upgrade into a JS - stay with two balconies - but try to move to cabins with connections doors.

Maybe your mother needs sometimes few hours for her own and do not want to be the "fifth wheel, sleeping on the sofabed"...

But you can have the doors open if you want to have time together.

Try to pamper her, make the cruise something special for her.

Wendy

I'm so sorry for your loss, and the loss of those that replied in response. I lost my dad to cancer back in March when he was 63. It really will depend on how the three of you feel about going with two rooms or a suite, but also keeping in mind that things can change day to day. I tried to give my mom space at times and she would tell me that she wanted company. I would then start visiting more and then she would say she looked forward to peace and quiet. You'll find that your emotions change day to day, and even minute by minute when dealing with a loss like this. I would think a suite would be perfect. She can have time to herself if she so chooses, but will also have y'all nearby when she wants company. The biggest lesson I learned is not to assume what she wants. Talk about it and go with what y'all think you will be most comfortable with. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, and hope this cruise can be a great time for y'all to celebrate his life.

My deepest sympathies. Between 2007 and 2010' date=' we lost my dad and mom. Both from cancer, both in their mid-50s. It's not fun. However you decide to work your cruise, it will be an amazing mental and emotional escape for you and your family.[/quote']

...and ours to you as well Bart. Sorry to hear of your loss - very difficult situation for you and your family.

Mike and Tami

My father passed away at age 66. It is difficult for all of us but we decided to still go on the cruise we planned for Christmas. Since I am here in Florida right now my mother, sister and I are going to sit down and decide what we need to do.

Our cruise is December 22nd to December 27 leaving from Tampa. We have 2 cabins right now but we are thinking it might be best to upgrade to a suite or something that will be easy for 3 adults to move around. It all depends on what is available.

Very sorry for your loss. But I agree with you in wanting to continue with the cruise and I think you have the right idea (as previously posted) with talking openly with the TA regarding your options.

First of all, sorry for your loss. A loss of a parent is always hard. My wife and I took our Moms on a few cruises and on their first one, I took my Dads Tie Tack and my Mom and I said a prayer and threw it in the Bay in one of the ports. As far as your cruise, you should go and have fun as I am sure that what your Dad would want.

Sorry for your loss.

Good idea to go on the trip at Christmas IMHO. My Dad passed away last fall and we had a trip planned for February. At the time of his death a trip was the last thing I could think about but by the time February came around, it was a much needed break.

If he would want you to go on, that is your answer.

It might also be better to have your Mom away from home. it might be easier to take a holiday away from where she had Memories with him.

Robin, the same thing happened to us this year. Me, my wife, my friend, his partner and his Mum and Dad were going away next month. It was booked for his Dads 70th and he requested me and my wife celebrated it with them as we introduced them to cruising last year and they got the bug after their first time. He chose the ship he wanted and the itinery of countries he always wanted to go to.

He never made his 70th birthday and we left it up to his wife to decide what we do. She said he was looking forward to it so much that he would never want us to cancel - so we didn't.

She called RC and explained and they were very sympathetic and took his name off the booking, let her keep her junior suite and gave a part refund so she could still enjoy a nice room to herself.

It certainly won't be the same when we cruise next month but we have already pre-booked the champagne for the room and will be having a sailaway toast on the balcony to friends and relatives that couldn't be with us.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My mother passed away in 2011, just DAYS before final payment. I agonized over what to do, and decided she would have wanted us to go and celebrate her life.

I would say look at the price comparison of combining to a suite, but truly you might appreciate the bit of separation two cabins offer.

Archived