Cruise Insurance? Hal cruse insurance?

sassy~one

You need to do the research on the mentioned sites. Only YOU know what needs you have...medical coverages, prexisting conditions, cancelation for any reason or just for health reasons, medical evac, coverage for your traveling partner if you have problems while away, travel costs.....in other words there are MANY issues you have to consider before purchasing. ASK detailed questions and get a copy of the whole policy to read over before buying. (as opposed to just reading highlights of a policy)

Most policies offered by cruise lines are pretty generixc and might not meet your personal needs. Takes time to research and find the one you need.Or you will just be wasting money should you really need it.

If you go to the general topics board, you'll find more info there.

You need to do the research on the mentioned sites. Only YOU know what needs you have...medical coverages, prexisting conditions, cancelation for any reason or just for health reasons, medical evac, coverage for your traveling partner if you have problems while away, travel costs.....in other words there are MANY issues you have to consider before purchasing. ASK detailed questions and get a copy of the whole policy to read over before buying. (as opposed to just reading highlights of a policy)

Most policies offered by cruise lines are pretty generixc and might not meet your personal needs. Takes time to research and find the one you need.Or you will just be wasting money should you really need it.

If you go to the general topics board, you'll find more info there.

The trip insurance store site does have the full policy you can read before purchasing, for all the plans they carry. It can be a daunting task. I really recommend getting educated first, and then reading the fine print.

Depends on the details. My TA was tried to sell me insurance for our recent Canada/New England cruise, but I found out that my regular Aetna health insurance covers us in Canada (and the ship was never far from shore) so supplemental health insurance would have been a waste of money. Likewise on Alaskan cruises.

On another occasion I was told that cancellation/flight insurance was not valid if something went wrong in the last 24 hours prior to sailing. This is when things are most likely to go wrong, so I declined that insurance as well.

A longer cruise to more exotic locations would warrant insurance, but make sure you get all the details.

igraf

I have never bought any cruise insurance, can you please give me your input on the insurance?

Does it cover late flights? Illness on board? Cost?

Thanks everyone.

debbie

Keep in mind that the ship is a foreign country as far as insurance coverage is decided. In port in the US, if you're on the ship, you're not in the US.

Some health insurance covers out of country expenses, some doesn't. Call and double check on yours before you buy new coverage.

And do consider emergency evacuation coverage. It can be a life saver.

I've purchased Cruise Insurance on all my trips, it's typically run me between $60-150pp depending on the cost of the trip. In the past, I've used TravelEX via my TA. This time, I opted for USAA's carrier, as they were about $100 cheaper for the same level of coverage.

I'm a fan. I actually had to use it this past year when my wife was hospitalized 10 days after our final payment was due, and in the hospital for 2 months. While she got out in time, she wasn't in the proper shape or health to go on the cruise, and we were able to get a full refund. That sold me on insurance, it may end up costing me a cruise or 2 worth of money in the end, but having that service if something happens just makes me feel better. :) Hopefully I won't have to use it again! But it will be there if I do!

We don't always buy trip insurance but when we do we go through InsureMyTrip. We did insure our March Med cruise because, quite frankly, we had a lot invested in that trip. We've been less likely to insure Caribbean cruises but even that is subject to review and consideration as we get older. Our purchase or not purchase decision is pretty much now based solely on us as we have virtually no other family.

Not sure if paying the equivalent of a couple of cruises so that one gets refunded on another cruise is compelling reason to buy insurance. I wouldn't pay more than 10% of the cruise price for insurance, and even that is loaded with profit. On top of that, one has to considered that that the insurance company will try every excuse to get out of paying a settlement.

igraf

... it may end up costing me a cruise or 2 worth of money in the end, but having that service if something happens just makes me feel better. ...

Not sure if paying the equivalent of a couple of cruises so that one gets refunded on another cruise is compelling reason to buy insurance. I wouldn't pay more than 10% of the cruise price for insurance, and even that is loaded with profit. On top of that, one has to considered that that the insurance company will try every excuse to get out of paying a settlement.

igraf

We've used HAL cruise insurance twice (once a cancellation, once medical expenses) and never had problems collecting.

Perhaps you should specify which companies you're talking about so we can avoid them too.

... it may end up costing me a cruise or 2 worth of money in the end, but having that service if something happens just makes me feel better. ...

Keep in mind that the ship is a foreign country as far as insurance coverage is decided. In port in the US, if you're on the ship, you're not in the US.

Some health insurance covers out of country expenses, some doesn't. Call and double check on yours before you buy new coverage.

Many forget that if on medicare, it does not cover out of the states. So unless you have supplemental or travel insurance, you are stuck. Also carry along a letter from your supplemental that states you are covered out of the country. Especially if not buying travel insurance. Also know that you will have to, in most cases, pay for your health care at time of treatment. So have a credit card handy. Medi vac is super expensive so make sure you have a ton of coverage in that area.

At most, HAL's insurance reimburses 90% if you have a late cancellation for a covered reason. I generally steer clear of it for that reason. There are lots of other options that would reimburse 100% and premiums are a fraction of the cost.

On the other hand, HAL's CPP plan allows cancel for ANY reason which is more rare in insurance plans so that's a plus.

Actually travel insurance will pay your settlement with little problem. The problem comes when people assume they are covered for something that is not covered under the policy. If it is a covered expense, per the fine print of the policy, you will have no problem getting reimbursed. It will involve paperwork being gathered and filed, but you will be paid for ALL COVERED EXPENSES. They will not use excuses. It seems like medical problems have less confusion. Trip delays and interruptions is where the most confusion seems to lie.

The most compelling reason for me to buy travel insurance is for medical evacuation and medical transport back home if needed. These two can cost tens of thousands of dollars. I read one report where it cost the family over $50,000 to return their loved one safely home via medical transport. To me, it is worth it to buy insurance to cover this.

For anyone who wants just medical coverage and medical evac, and doesn't care about insuring the actual cost of the trip, baggage, delays, etc, the premium is quite inexpensive.

igraf

Specifcally, the last cruise we were booked in a GS on the Navigator (RCL). Cruise insurance with TravelEx was 7.5% of the cruise cost. Got us back 100%. On our current upcoming cruise, the USAA is costing up 3.9% the cost of our cruise. It covers $50k in medical, $500k in evacuation costs, includes trip delays and missed connections as well. Insurance is always one of those things you either feel you get good return on, or you don't. It's personal. I can say this, if I didn't have cruise insurance on that GS, I wouldn't be taking this one for a while. That was an expensive cruise for me (Honeymoon, so we splurged with a much more expensive cabin then I would normally go for).

4% is reasonable, but USAA is not available to non-military people. I even work at a US military base every day, but you know how they exclude contractors from all the benefits. I can't even eat in the mess hall.

At least this figure gives us an idea of a fair price. Anything above 4% is just profit.

igraf

Specifcally, the last cruise we were booked in a GS on the Navigator (RCL). Cruise insurance with TravelEx was 7.5% of the cruise cost. Got us back 100%. On our current upcoming cruise, the USAA is costing up 3.9% the cost of our cruise. It covers $50k in medical, $500k in evacuation costs, includes trip delays and missed connections as well. Insurance is always one of those things you either feel you get good return on, or you don't. It's personal. I can say this, if I didn't have cruise insurance on that GS, I wouldn't be taking this one for a while. That was an expensive cruise for me (Honeymoon, so we splurged with a much more expensive cabin then I would normally go for).

4% is reasonable, but USAA is not available to non-military people. I even work at a US military base every day, but you know how they exclude contractors from all the benefits. I can't even eat in the mess hall.

At least this figure gives us an idea of a fair price. Anything above 4% is just profit.

igraf

I love my USAA! I got it through marriage and was able to stay with them once we divorced however they changed their eligibility rules over the years and I could have gotten based on my father being an Air Force officer.

Just an FYI for those of you posting links to other insurance websites.

Links are prohibited by the CC guidelines.

To my knowledge the only links not allowed are to Travel Agents and Travel Agencies. If I am misinformed, please provide the quote/place I can read where this is not allowed.

As other posters have mentioned, there are numerous trade-offs to weigh in purchasing insurance.

Probably the best deal would just be to pony up the high fees of having an Am Ex platinum card, and then charging the full price of the cruise on that card.

As for us (no Am Ex platinum), we always buy the HAL Platinum coverage. The $50,000 medevac coverage limit is inadequate, but with HAL's plan one would at least have the hope of dealing with HAL's port agent in a foreign port.

I would hate to have to be arranging medevac coverage through some claims drone in Pittsburgh or Hartford while stranded in a foreign port. I would appreciate having a local port agent who had some responsibility for coordinating my arrangements.

You don't have to purchase ship insurance to use the help of the port agent.

The ship's port agent is available for help no matter what insurance you have and if you don't have insurance. We always carry along that info for each port when we disembark...anything could happen including nonmedical issues. It is recommended by all ship lines one carries each specific name and phone number when you visit the port .

Our friends had problems in Egypt (of all places) and needed to go to a hospital for stitches late in the afternoon. The port agent was called and accompanied them to the hospital, arranged billing, transportation, interpretation etc with no problems. And the whole event took hours. And the port agent notified the ship. This was on a HAL ship and our friends had other travel insurance.. on top of their private insurance. Not HAL insurance.

Archived