Should we switch? Help!

dreamr

My friend and I (both early 30s) are currently booked on the Norwegian Epic leaving Miami on November 10th. Final Payment is August 27th, which means that if we want to switch ships, we need to make a decision ASAP.

There is a sailing of the Oasis the very same week as the sailing of the Epic that we're on. It just leaves from Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami... but from what I've read, Fort Lauderdale isn't that far from Miami. Nothing that a short drive won't take care of (speaking of - what is the best mode of transfer?). So I wouldn't have to change my air reservations or anything.

I originally booked the Epic because I was planning to go alone and the Epic has solo cabins. Plus it has some awesome entertainment and everything. But mostly because of the solo cabins... About a month after I booked a studio cabin, my friend up and decides that she wants to join me. So I switch my reservation to a regular inside cabin that we can share (bye bye colorful studio lights :(). SO... now that needing a solo cabin is no longer an issue... I decided to take a look around... and what I found was the Oasis!

It has Hairspray! It has ice skating! It has mini golf! It has donuts! lol

Unfortunately, friend is a little hesitant to switch and says that she doesn't know how to ice skate and she doesn't like Hairspray (booo!). I told her to look up the Oasis online and let me know what she thinks after she actually sees it... but while she's doing that, I figured I would ask you lovely people about the Oasis and whether or not you would switch.

So... figuring in that we would have to arrange transportation between the Miami airport and Fort Lauderdale... is it worth the hassle of switching?

Please keep in mind that I could always schedule a trip on the Oasis at a later date.

P.S. If you hate NCL/Epic and would switch just because of that ... that's not really what I'm looking for. :P.

1st, you don't have to iceskate, but you can certainly watch the ice show...that's REALLY what the ice rink is all about anyway.

'

FLL is about 40 mins. away from Miami....a taxi is NOT the way to go....too expensive. Check out SAS transportation.

Yes....you could always do Oasis later. The trip you've booked and the arrangements you've made are all there, just awaiting your good time. No need to start switching about! Go on this trip, have fun, and plan another!

The difference in airport is no big deal. You could even get transfers from the cruise line. You can also rent a car, or use a shuttle service, all being conveinant.

I wouldn't mind going on either of the ships that you mentioned, but never sailed with NCL, and I don't know if I would like not having the option of the Main dining room.

I have family going on the Epic that week, and I'm not sure if this is all the time, but they are going because of some big thing for the kids, where they get to meet some cartoon caricters. Not sure if that would be a factor in your decision.

Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your cruise!

Love the Epic. Love the Oasis too. Both are great ships and I've had an outstanding time on both.

Keep your Epic reservation. The entertainment is beyond outstanding on that ship, and I love having all the various restaurant options (yes, some with cover charges). Book an Oasis cruise for sometime in the future too and compare for yourself. :D

I wouldn't mind going on either of the ships that you mentioned, but never sailed with NCL, and I don't know if I would like not having the option of the Main dining room.

Just to add here, the Epic has TWO main dining rooms, just FYI. No additional charge. There is also a buffet and other free dining options.

What's the price difference? That would be a factor for us.

Surprisingly enough, there isn't much of a price difference. I was on the RCI site last night and could get a "large inside stateroom" for about $150 more (total) than we've paid for our inside stateroom on the Epic.

That's why I'm so torn. If there was a huge price difference, I definitely wouldn't be. :P

---

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

Oasis isn't just ice skating and Hairspray. There are two flow riders, a zip line, central park, boardwalk, aqua theatre, ice shows, etc etc etc. I've never sailed NCL, but if I was going to do NCL I would probably lean more towards the Epic or one of their new builds coming up. I loved my time on the Allure and have a cruise booked on the Oasis. There is so much to see and do on these ships.

How do the itineraries between Oasis and Epic look? Is there a preference of ports to you?

We love the Oasis class ships, and we've never been on NCL... So my opinion will be biased to what I know and love.

Anyway, rent a car. There are a few rental companies that have free shuttles in Port Everglades- for $45, the price is hard to beat. I don't think the drive is that bad- but I also commute in traffic.

So basically, I'm no help, as it just tells you that either choice is easy. :D

Hope you have a great trip, whichever you sail on!!

A taxi will cost somewhere in the area of $75-95....it may not be the least expensive but is defiantly the easiest most convenient way to transfer from MIA over to Port Everglades. Another poster also suggested trying the CL transfer.....that could be another good choice....less expensive choice...just a bit slower as it's going to be a bus load of folks and it needs to fit into your schedule.

Dreamr... I have cruised both the Oasis and the Allure. Loved both, mainly because of the entertainment. I am on your Epic cruise. My decision for the Epic is totally based on the entertainment options. After sailing on the Oasis and the Allure it would be difficult to go on a ship without the exceptional entertainment provided by these three ships.

While it would be sad to see you change, you really need to determine if you might be going on your NEXT cruise solo. It sure looks like the Epic is great for solo cruisers. I did not see a lot of options for solo cruisers on the Oasis, but I wasn't searching that out.

Plus I don't think it is often that the Oasis / Allure pricing would be close to the Epic.

Good luck and go with your heart!!!

I almost changed because I had a cruise credit with another line for $200 that is going to expire in April 2013. It is non transferable, and non refundable. Since I can't go on vacation again due to a major project at work, I am going to loose it. But the Epic has been my next dream cruise for a long time, and I got a great rate on a balcony.

Karen

We had a shuttle from a Miami hotel to the Allure. It was $25pp. We took the cruiseline transportation from the ship to Miami airport. It was more expensive but very convenient. Have not sailed on any NCL ships so I don't know the entertainment options on the Epic.

Oasis isn't just ice skating and Hairspray. There are two flow riders, a zip line, central park, boardwalk, aqua theatre, ice shows, etc etc etc. I've never sailed NCL, but if I was going to do NCL I would probably lean more towards the Epic or one of their new builds coming up. I loved my time on the Allure and have a cruise booked on the Oasis. There is so much to see and do on these ships.

How do the itineraries between Oasis and Epic look? Is there a preference of ports to you?

I knowww. There are so many awesome things about the Oasis. I wish I had found that ship before! But like I said, I was originally going solo, due to no one having the time/money and/or being freaked out by Concordia and telling me that I was insane for booking a cruise right then. XD

I'm partially insane and very independent, so I was like "you know what? I want to go on a cruise and if you guys don't want to go, I'll just go by myself!" and booked a Studio... then friend suddenly decided that now that I'd actually gone and booked a cruise... she wanted to go, too. lol

I was really happy with the Epic, though... until I saw that Oasis had Hairspray! I love that show. XD

Dreamr... I have cruised both the Oasis and the Allure. Loved both, mainly because of the entertainment. I am on your Epic cruise. My decision for the Epic is totally based on the entertainment options. After sailing on the Oasis and the Allure it would be difficult to go on a ship without the exceptional entertainment provided by these three ships.

While it would be sad to see you change, you really need to determine if you might be going on your NEXT cruise solo. It sure looks like the Epic is great for solo cruisers. I did not see a lot of options for solo cruisers on the Oasis, but I wasn't searching that out.

Plus I don't think it is often that the Oasis / Allure pricing would be close to the Epic.

Good luck and go with your heart!!!

I almost changed because I had a cruise credit with another line for $200 that is going to expire in April 2013. It is non transferable, and non refundable. Since I can't go on vacation again due to a major project at work, I am going to loose it. But the Epic has been my next dream cruise for a long time, and I got a great rate on a balcony.

Karen

I wish I could go on two ships at once. Honestly. Even though I'm no longer going solo, I'd love to try out the Epic as a solo one day. I had really gotten used to the idea of having my own room and doing whatever I wanted to do... until friend decided to crash my party. lol

I'll just have to save up a lot of money and go on both of them in 2013 and/or 2014. lol

I think both would be great. But like someone else mentioned, if you think you will need to cruise solo next time, you may want to do Oasis with your friend this time and save the Epic for your solo trip.

Either way....have a ball!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks!

I'll drag someone along next time. Unless I really do decide to try out the solo Epic thing. But if I book the Oasis next time, I'll talk someone into it, I'm sure. Just as long as there are no more cruise ships sinking off the coast of Italy the month I book. lol

One consideration would be when you are arriving at MIA. Do you have enough time for the 40 minute drive to FLL. and still have plenty of leeway for delays.?? If it is cutting it close I would stay on Epic.

Nah, I'm a good little CCer and am flying into Miami the day before the cruise. So there's no worries about travel delays or anything of that sort. :P

----

Thanks to everyone who has offered their advice! It's been a great help! <3

I haven't decided 100% yet, but I think we're staying on the Epic. Just because we were thrilled to be on the Epic yesterday... so just because I saw another ship I like, it doesn't mean I need to switch. I can do both, right? Just not at the same time. *cough*

Besides... I think friend is still stuck on the Epic and I don't want to force her to go somewhere that she doesn't want to be. ... even though it was technically my vacation to begin with... :look:

Anyway, thanks! <3

Archived