CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hi Folks - thanks for all the great information that you supply here!

We are travelling to Newark in October, the Saturday before our Explorer cruise on Sunday the 28th. We are staying at the Hyatt and will travel into the city to see the WTC memorial, and then a play that night at the Imperial Theatre.

What would you suggest as the best way to travel into the city and back? It looks like Path to WTC and then subway to Times Square is the best way going in, but I'm not sure which way to go back to the Hyatt. Subway to WTC and Path back to Exchange Place, or Path to Exchange Place via Journal Square?

Also, from reading the comments on here, it seems that the best option from EWR to the hotel, hotel to Cape Liberty, and Cape Liberty back to EWR is by private car, correct? There will be four of us, and we will probably have at least 4 bags of luggage. I guess we will need to get a van instead of limo because of this, right?

Thanks for your time and responses in advance, and also if you have any suggestions for "non-touristy" restaurants in the theater district those would be appreciated as well! :)

Thanks!

Path to World trade and subway to Port authority or Times Square (depending on where you find yourselves in lower Manhattan) is the best. Coming back the E train from Port Authority at 42nd & 8th will take you back to the WTC to pick up Path to Exchange Place. With a group of 4 a car service will be the best way to get from EWR to the Hyatt and from the Hyatt to the port. When you get off the ship you can get a shared shuttle back to EWR for $16 or $17/pp, which will be competitive with a car service even with 4 people.

If you really want to save some money, you can take the light rail from Exchange Place to Bayonne and call Bayonne Taxi. When you get to the Hyatt you can check out the light rail station to see if it's something you want to do. It's very easy if you can roll your luggage. $2.10/pp fare (kids may be half price) and a $10-15 cab fare into the port. The light rail will be empty on a Sunday morning. I have done this trip with a rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack - it saved me a lot of money and the ride was interesting. There was nobody on the Train on a Thursday morning.

Another budget tip - cab to Newark Penn Station for about $25 and Path to Exchange Place for $2/pp. The Exchange Place Path station is very deep and they have elevators to the street. It's all luggage friendly.

Thanks for all the great ideas, Carol!

I think using Path as much as possible would be great, but my parents (who are in their 70's) are traveling with us and I don't know if that would be too much for them. I will run that by them though. :-)

Thanks again for responding!

Rob

Thanks for all the great ideas, Carol!

I think using Path as much as possible would be great, but my parents (who are in their 70's) are traveling with us and I don't know if that would be too much for them. I will run that by them though. :-)

Thanks again for responding!

Rob

Seniors pay $1.05 on the light rail - I'm a senior. Most people just book a car service, but it's nice to know what your other options are for saving a few dollars. In Boston I take the T to the airport whenever possible because it's so easy.

My question is which hotel would you stay at:

Wyndham Garden Hotel, Newark NJ or Country Inn Suites, Glimcher Realty Way, Newark.

Can get these hotels through Stay123 very reasonable.

We're doing a cruise out of Seattle so we're going in a couple days early and see that both these hotels offer parking up to 14 days. I was leaning towards the Country Inn but have stayed at other Wyndham's and like there product. Just not sure about the parking situation for these hotels.

My question is which hotel would you stay at:

Wyndham Garden Hotel, Newark NJ or Country Inn Suites, Glimcher Realty Way, Newark.

Can get these hotels through Stay123 very reasonable.

We're doing a cruise out of Seattle so we're going in a couple days early and see that both these hotels offer parking up to 14 days. I was leaning towards the Country Inn but have stayed at other Wyndham's and like there product. Just not sure about the parking situation for these hotels.

Country Inn hands down..Wyndhams are hit and miss...that one is not bad, but i would not choose to stay there on purpose...not in the best part of the airport area....

if you got stuck there with a cancelled flight, it would be OK..but if you're going to park there...no WAY....stick with the CI

I have been reading these boards and do not know what our best option would be. We are coming from western Pennsylvania about a seven hour drive, there will be at least 14 in our group. Coming the night before and not sure if better to stay in hotel west of the port and drive to the port the next morning and park. And if so where? Or to stay closer to the port and do a cruise and park package. Transportation seems expensive with so many people. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lynne

Country Inn hands down..Wyndhams are hit and miss...that one is not bad, but i would not choose to stay there on purpose...not in the best part of the airport area....

if you got stuck there with a cancelled flight, it would be OK..but if you're going to park there...no WAY....stick with the CI

Meg, thanks so much. I like Wyndham's product but wasn't sure of that area and I know exactly where CI is.

I have been reading these boards and do not know what our best option would be. We are coming from western Pennsylvania about a seven hour drive, there will be at least 14 in our group. Coming the night before and not sure if better to stay in hotel west of the port and drive to the port the next morning and park. And if so where? Or to stay closer to the port and do a cruise and park package. Transportation seems expensive with so many people. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lynne

You need to provide more info. It's a 9 day cruise, right? Leaving on a Thursday? How many cars? How many hotel rooms? Would you come in I80 from Pennsylvania? The port parking is $171/car. If you use Independent Driver, you can probably get port transportation from an airport hotel for $140 each way + tip but you'd have to call them to see what they can offer. The park/sleep rates aren't really all out for next May and you can only book ID about 4-6 weeks out, so you have plenty of time to plan.

Meg, thanks so much. I like Wyndham's product but wasn't sure of that area and I know exactly where CI is.

you're welcome....

my experience with Wyndham is either super awesome or get me the heck outta here..... ha ha ha...the one by EWR is actually someplace in the middle....:eek::p

the CI is easier to get to....and you are much closer to food......no real need to fight the lunatic NJ drivers..(i am one, i can say that):p

You need to provide more info. It's a 9 day cruise, right? Leaving on a Thursday? How many cars? How many hotel rooms? Would you come in I80 from Pennsylvania? The port parking is $171/car. If you use Independent Driver, you can probably get port transportation from an airport hotel for $140 each way + tip but you'd have to call them to see what they can offer. The park/sleep rates aren't really all out for next May and you can only book ID about 4-6 weeks out, so you have plenty of time to plan.

Yes it is a 9 day cruise. We will have three cars and 4 hotel rooms. We are coming from I-80 do you have suggestions for hotels west of the port. I know it is early but I like to have a plan it is just part of my OCD

Thanks for your help

With all the people I think you will do better staying in the Parsippany area and paying to park three cars at the port. There is no economic or logistical advantage to staying pre cruise in Newark or Secaucus.

I looked at Hotwire and for 5/15 I am seeing a 3* hotel- 4 rooms for 14 people- with a 95% approval rating for $67 (about $80 with tax). It's a suite hotel and offers free breakfast (big value for 14 people) and has kitchenettes. This will put you about an hour from the port and an easy drive if you leave after rush hour on Thursday morning. You will be in a nice suburban area with stores and restaurants, which are not readily available in the airport area. You have to prepay Hotwire, but you can pay a little extra to insure against the need to cancel.

We are arriving Friday 9/28 for our cruise to Bermuda on EOS on 9/30. We are looking at booking the country in for 9/28-9/30.

Just to confirm. Country INN is a decent place to stay? Free shuttle from airport to hotel on Friday evening?

Saturday we would like to take a whirlwind tour through Times square district, central park, and the WTC memorial. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this assuming we are willing to spend up to $150 that day for transportation? Would a car service be willing to drop us off at time square, then pick us up down by WTC 7-8 hours later?

We recommend Country Inns all the time. I spent two nights there once with my husband and children. They do have an airport shuttle.

Have you considered a combination of cabs and public transportation to maximize what you get for $150? I'd take a cab from Country Inns to Newark Penn Station and the train to New York Penn Station - about $25 for the cab and $5/pp for the train (half price if you're seniors). Then walk to Times Square or take a cab the 10 blocks. You can walk from Times Square to the South side of Central Park or take another cab if you have a particular destination in the park (it's a REALLY big park). The best and fastest way to get downtown to the WTC area is the subway. The nearest subway station is likely to have service to lower Manhattan, but you need to look at the subway map to be sure. At worst you would have to transfer somewhere to another train. However, of you don't want to take the subway, your $150 transportation budget will accommodate a cab from wherever you are in midtown to the WTC.

From the World Trade Center you can take Path back to Newark Penn Station for $2/pp and a cab back to Country Inns.

You will blow your entire $150 budget taking a car service to and from NY and you will still have to get around the city. It might be a bit faster, but it might not be depending on the traffic backup at the tunnels. NJTransit train or Path is a quick way to avoid any traffic issues with the Hudson River crossings.

With all the people I think you will do better staying in the Parsippany area and paying to park three cars at the port. There is no economic or logistical advantage to staying pre cruise in Newark or Secaucus.

I looked at Hotwire and for 5/15 I am seeing a 3* hotel- 4 rooms for 14 people- with a 95% approval rating for $67 (about $80 with tax). It's a suite hotel and offers free breakfast (big value for 14 people) and has kitchenettes. This will put you about an hour from the port and an easy drive if you leave after rush hour on Thursday morning. You will be in a nice suburban area with stores and restaurants, which are not readily available in the airport area. You have to prepay Hotwire, but you can pay a little extra to insure against the need to cancel.

Thank you for your quick reply, I was considering the same thing, should be easier with the amount of people we have in out party.

I have not seen any reccomendations for Crowne Plaza EWR/Elizabeth. I was able to get a stay/park/go for up to 10days free parking for $139 on 9/15. The website states they will shuttle within 5 miles. Port appears to be about 7 miles but I am hoping they will still take us. I just need to call to confirm. Questions: Is this a decent hotel for one night with parking included? And, if we must take a taxi to the port on Sunday, how much do you think it will cost for 2 of us plus 3 suitcases?

Thank's for input.

We recommend Country Inns all the time. I spent two nights there once with my husband and children. They do have an airport shuttle.

Have you considered a combination of cabs and public transportation to maximize what you get for $150? I'd take a cab from Country Inns to Newark Penn Station and the train to New York Penn Station - about $25 for the cab and $5/pp for the train (half price if you're seniors). Then walk to Times Square or take a cab the 10 blocks. You can walk from Times Square to the South side of Central Park or take another cab if you have a particular destination in the park (it's a REALLY big park). The best and fastest way to get downtown to the WTC area is the subway. The nearest subway station is likely to have service to lower Manhattan, but you need to look at the subway map to be sure. At worst you would have to transfer somewhere to another train. However, of you don't want to take the subway, your $150 transportation budget will accommodate a cab from wherever you are in midtown to the WTC.

From the World Trade Center you can take Path back to Newark Penn Station for $2/pp and a cab back to Country Inns.

You will blow your entire $150 budget taking a car service to and from NY and you will still have to get around the city. It might be a bit faster, but it might not be depending on the traffic backup at the tunnels. NJTransit train or Path is a quick way to avoid any traffic issues with the Hudson River crossings.

I had researched the train from Penn station NJ to penn stations NY but wasn't sure if that would be convenient from the hotel. Good suggestion to take the cab from the hotel to the train. We'll give that a try.

What is Path?

I have not seen any reccomendations for Crowne Plaza EWR/Elizabeth. I was able to get a stay/park/go for up to 10days free parking for $139 on 9/15. The website states they will shuttle within 5 miles. Port appears to be about 7 miles but I am hoping they will still take us. I just need to call to confirm. Questions: Is this a decent hotel for one night with parking included? And, if we must take a taxi to the port on Sunday, how much do you think it will cost for 2 of us plus 3 suitcases?

Thank's for input.

It's about 11-12 miles from the hotel to the port. A taxi to the port would probably be about $50. I would be reluctant to leave my car in the area where that hotel is located.

Edited by njhorseman

For park sleeps we typically recommend Country Inns from stay123.com and the Fairfield Inn or Ramada Plaza from trinityreservations.com. No one has given us feedback on a park sleep at the Crowne Plaza - its location is on the west side of the airport, which is not our favorite location. Does the $139 rate include taxes? Country Inns is still out on stay123 for your date at $119 plus tax, so it would be about $145. If you switched immediately, you might be able to buy their cruise port transfer for $35/pp. It is highly unlikely that Crowne Plaza will shuttle you to the port. It's 10+ miles to Cape Liberty and can be time consuming because of the traffic getting into the port. A cab or car service will run you $50-60 to the port, but you can take a shared shuttle back to EWR for $16/pp.

I had researched the train from Penn station NJ to penn stations NY but wasn't sure if that would be convenient from the hotel. Good suggestion to take the cab from the hotel to the train. We'll give that a try.

What is Path?

PATH is what was known as the Port Authority Trans Hudson line. It's a subway-like train service that runs between the Newark-Hoboken-Jersey City areas in NJ to Manhattan...either the World Trade Center area or midtown at Herald Square. Here's their route map: http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

What is Path?

Path is a subway train with 4 routes that connect Newark, Hoboken, and Jersey City to both midtown and downtown NY. It's a 22 minute ride from the WTC to Newark Penn Station. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

On a Saturday Path runs two routes - Newark to WTC and Journal Square to 33rd St via Hoboken. If you are in lower Manhattan, it's the fastest way back to Newark.

I'm looking at the Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island for a pre-cruise stay of a couple of nights. I'm sure the hotel is fine, so that's not an issue.

I've called, and they do offer shuttle service from Newark Airport and to Cape Liberty although it is provided by "the Hilton across the street" as the front desk person told me, and it has to be booked in advance.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel and used the shuttle service who can tell me if it was reliable? Or, maybe someone else has information as well.

Thanks.

I'm looking at the Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island for a pre-cruise stay of a couple of nights. I'm sure the hotel is fine, so that's not an issue.

I've called, and they do offer shuttle service from Newark Airport and to Cape Liberty although it is provided by "the Hilton across the street" as the front desk person told me, and it has to be booked in advance.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel and used the shuttle service who can tell me if it was reliable? Or, maybe someone else has information as well.

Thanks.

Several CCers have, and i have not heard any complaints.....

Thank's for input.

The port is more like 10 miles or so-give or take...

I haven't been there..it is a bit of a PITA to get to unless you know where you're going...that side of the airport is really congested with traffic, etc.....i would suggest looking at the sites 138east suggested....i would not leave my car there.....

you're looking at about $50 (cab or car service...) to the pier and back...not far, but pricey....everything in NJ is $$$$$ :eek:

You could check with Independent Driver (number is in my blog, there is a link below..) they do not have a website...but several CCers used them, and i have not heard of any issues...