Just checking - What's the draw a Senor Frogs?

scubagirrl

With all the other venues, cultural or commercial, why would places like Senor Frogs MEXICAN be such a special place to visit in the bahamas.

The bahamas has plenty of more cultural places to get a drink or eat. Plenty of clubs, local bands, local food. Why are places like Hard Rock and Senor Frogs such a big draw??? Is it the fact that you know what to expect? Afraid to try new experiences?? Don't know better choices???

I would think the last think I'd want to do when visiting Mexico for a few hours is to find a good pasta place.

Just asking???

I would *never* go to a chain place like that in any port.

But some people LOVE that stuff...

Different strokes. I am actually GLAD people go there because it keeps numerous folks from going and crowding up the places I like to go.

I can't speak for most people because we really like to find the local atmosphere when we visit new places, but perhaps it's the "safety factor"?? I mean, people know what to expect at these places and perhaps feel more in their element while traveling abroad if they eat in these places. It's safe.

I pretend to call myself a world traveler, but from the few trips I have taken abroad, I have gotten far more enjoyment from the restaurants that were rich with local flavor, and off the beaten path. it just makes me feel like I've actually experienced something different ;) And hey, isn't that why I'm leaving the US in the first place??

Senor Frog and Carlos N Charlies are both owned and operated by Grupo Anderson. The draw is for those who want (for lack of a better term) a reliable party atmosphere.

For some folks it is a great time and for others a waste of time. To each his own. In my mis-spent youth I may have occasionally drunk to excess just for the fun of it. I'm sure that I don't remember all of the details :D

Like the OP and others on this thread, DW & I would prefer to find other things to do, places to see and stop and have a drink at a local watering hole where we may be the only tourists in the place.

Charlie

I would rather "drink to excess for the fun of it" in a local place instead of a tourist geared chain!

I am told by others that were there that we were in a number of local spots on several occasions. I have vague memories so I have to take their word for it. :rolleyes:

Charlie

If anyone can share with me another place in Nassau where you can party like a rockstar an still stumble back to the ship I'm definetley open for suggestions. I went to Carlos and Charlies in Aruba and had a blast, I don't know if the local hole in the wall would like it if we started pouring shots from the balcony or had 20 people dancing on the bar. I'm looking forward to senior frogs in Nassau.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

Mostly because the kids like it and know what will be on the menu. If I wasn't traveling with the kids, I'd eat somewhere else - but then I'd still stop at the Hard Rock for a t-shirt for the kids.

• 7 years later...

Scubagirl, Just speaking for myself, a cruise is a big big expenditure for me and because of the cost and limited time in port I try not to take too many chances and go with known fun stuff to do and go to....I love Nassau and we will be there again in 2 weeks. In fact for the first time ever we are going back to a port that we have been too before.....last year when we were there I took a big leap(for me) and booked an excursion with Capt Carl(the kids still talk about it!!!! it was great!!!). SO HELP ME GET OUT OF MY CAUTIOUS COMFORT ZONE AND GIVE ME SOMEPLACE TO GO...I'LL BE THERE

Overpriced drinks keeps me away, Went once so off to fish fry for me. Sailing in Sept, also going to local free beach. Scubagirl, do u know if the Marley Resort offers day passes or can u book a spa treatment without being a guest of the resort?

Scubagirrl .... When we have a port stop in Nassau at times of the year when it can be quite chilly and we can't do the things we would normally do there, Senor Frogs is an enjoyable and entertaining place to go to spend time.

Sometimes, people just want to have FUN! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Overpriced drinks keeps me away, Went once so off to fish fry for me. Sailing in Sept, also going to local free beach. Scubagirl, do u know if the Marley Resort offers day passes or can u book a spa treatment without being a guest of the resort?

I'm pretty sure they offer day passes, and I think the company that advertises here carries them. And , you can book a spa treatment without being a guest. I have several times. I must say, they were quite relaxing, but lasted longer than expected. So if you're in a time crunch.. let them know ahead of time.

Marley Resort is very small and private, almost like being a house guest.

With all the other venues, cultural or commercial, why would places like Senor Frogs MEXICAN be such a special place to visit in the bahamas.

The bahamas has plenty of more cultural places to get a drink or eat. Plenty of clubs, local bands, local food. Why are places like Hard Rock and Senor Frogs such a big draw??? Is it the fact that you know what to expect? Afraid to try new experiences?? Don't know better choices???

I would think the last think I'd want to do when visiting Mexico for a few hours is to find a good pasta place.

Just asking???[/quote

I like to do both. I take in the local cuisine and either head to Senor Frogs before or after. Last year when we went to the Freeport, there was one right in the port now. It was amazing how much that port had changed in just one year.

Just like the attraction of Margaritaville, you go there just to have a good time. After a long day of shopping, you make it to the end of Mains Street and there is Senor Frogs why not grab a drink before heading back to the ship.

Just asking???[/quote

I like to do both. I take in the local cuisine and either head to Senor Frogs before or after. Last year when we went to the Freeport, there was one right in the port now. It was amazing how much that port had changed in just one year.

Just like the attraction of Margaritaville, you go there just to have a good time. After a long day of shopping, you make it to the end of Mains Street and there is Senor Frogs why not grab a drink before heading back to the ship.

ITA, we stopped in Margaritaville in Grand Turk because it is the world's largest one to buy t-shirts and also because it is a for sure thing you will have a good time there. On the other hand, they were playing some rated R music while we were there. We didn't stay long.

Our younger kids are too inexperienced to scuba and really just beginning to snorkel, so we did a kayak trip there that was outstanding. We try to do something local and stop by at the end of the day as others have said. I would never spend my whole port time in one of these places, however.

Considering the Bahamas, specifically, currently it was a safety issue for us. I don't feel comfortable traveling the island, and, to be honest, I am feeling the same way about mainland Mexico. Our favorite port day last week was the private island LSC, not the BCH in Nassau, although we did feel safe at the hotel. There were too many drugged/drunk people hanging out and/or trying to make a sale around the ships. I understand why more and more people elect to stay on board.

ITA' date=' we stopped in Margaritaville in Grand Turk because it is the world's largest one to buy t-shirts and also because it is a for sure thing you will have a good time there. On the other hand, they were playing some rated R music while we were there. We didn't stay long.

Our younger kids are too inexperienced to scuba and really just beginning to snorkel, so we did a kayak trip there that was outstanding. We try to do something local and stop by at the end of the day as others have said. I would never spend my whole port time in one of these places, however.

Considering the Bahamas, specifically, currently it was a safety issue for us. I don't feel comfortable traveling the island, and, to be honest, I am feeling the same way about mainland Mexico. Our favorite port day last week was the private island LSC, not the BCH in Nassau, although we did feel safe at the hotel. There were too many drugged/drunk people hanging out and/or trying to make a sale around the ships. I understand why more and more people elect to stay on board.[/quote']

If you are without children, the Cozumel Bar Hop is a blast. You get culture, ethnic food and alcohol. You have to pay for the food, but other than the Grand meal I had in Turkey, the food was the cheapest and best I have ever had on a cruise excursion. I think next time I may just take a taxi to Rasta's just for the food.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just asking???

Scubagirrl,

What other places for food and a drink would you recommend? I would love to try the local food, but am not sure which have good food and are safe to visit. Any recommendations? I will be going with my 2 daughters, ages 19 and 21.

I don't go to Senior Frogs but once in a while. I prefer to take bus #10 tot he Daquiri Shack $1.25 each way. The best daquiris EVER! I have taken lots of people I meet on the cruise ship there and now they always stop there when they go to Nassau. The food is fine at Senior Frogs and the music can be lively. One time they wanted to charge a cover charge just to go in....NO WAY.

Archived