NYC advice neede

MNLIvin

Couple old folks here from the middle of MN going to NYC on 3/15 for a cruise out on the Miracle on the 16th. Which airport would work the best to get into the Times Square area for the night. Best way to get from ne to the other without breaking the bank. What is the name or address of the cruise terminal?

Any other suggesions OK.

I did go over the M&G for this cruise already and got some help there.

I don't know what flight prices look like for you into NYC area airports but your cheapest option for physically getting into the city is flying into Newark & taking the train into Penn Station. Quick cab ride & you're in Times Square. I think you also asked where the cruise terminal was, if so, 55th & 12th.

ETA: the name is Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Go with the cheapest fare to either Newark, Laguardia, or JFK. LGA and JFK are best if you have alot of luggage because cabs are cheaper than from Newark. If luggage is not an issue then the previous poster is correct that Newark is easiest with the train, but keep in mind you will need to take two trains so again, too many bags and it's a hassle.

Nyc has lots of options.

Newark Airport -- best way is to take the air train and connect to N Transit, the commuter railroad that takes you into Penn Station NY. Easy to catch a cab from Penn to your hotel. Just don't get confused -- the train station in Newark is also called Penn Station.

There's also an expressbus to Grand Central, Bryant Park and the Port Authority bus terminal.

JFK -- you can take the air train to Howard Beach and take the subway (the A train) into Manhattan. You can take the air train to Jamaica and take the Long Island Railroad into Penn or the E train into Manhattan.

I think there is bus service as well.

And NYC taxis charge a flat fee from JFK or La Guardia into midtown.

Sorry but I don't think there is much in the way of public transportation from La Guardia.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

A taxi from Newark to Times Square will be in the $60-$70 range. We flew into Newark and stayed in Times Square in June. The price will depend on when you arrive. Peak times being more$$

Only take the train if you travel light and can handle your luggage.

A few years back we stayed (and liked!) at the Hotel Belvedere on 48th. Last time we used our points to stay at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square.

Airport would depand on where you are staying. If you plan on staying in Midtown Manhattan. I would fly into JFK there are bus services from JFK to the port ath. bus terminal. Plenty of cabs at PABT. Bus will drop you off on 42nd st between 8th and 9th ave. Cab line at PABT is on 8th ave. between 41st and 42 nd streets. And if you choose to stay out at a hotel by the airport. Times Square southern tip is 42nd Street and 7th Ave. Most of the airport shuttle busses drop off east bound on 42 you can see Times Square in front of you. And keep in mind if you stay in midtown, crowds will be increable, last DW I took DW down we ended up ording delivery the first night to hotel room to aviod an hour wait for food. Of course the good thing about midtown is everyone incl. McDonalds delviers.

We are sailing on the Splendor out of NYC this next April. We are flying to LGA, and plan on taking a cab to our hotel by Times Square. I'm assuming taxi fare will be in the $40 to $50 range by time the rates change in September.

The point being, I'd rather be dropped off at the hotel's door rather than walking for blocks with luggage in tow.;)

The OP is new to New York City so he needs simple so I would suggest fly into Laguardia and take a taxi to the hotel .Check Travelzoo ,Hotwire or Priceline to get a deal on a hotel closer to your travel dates .You can get times square hotels for reasonable prices you just have to be flexible .

Nyc has lots of options.

Newark Airport -- best way is to take the air train and connect to N Transit, the commuter railroad that takes you into Penn Station NY. Easy to catch a cab from Penn to your hotel. Just don't get confused -- the train station in Newark is also called Penn Station.

There's also an expressbus to Grand Central, Bryant Park and the Port Authority bus terminal.

JFK -- you can take the air train to Howard Beach and take the subway (the A train) into Manhattan. You can take the air train to Jamaica and take the Long Island Railroad into Penn or the E train into Manhattan.

I think there is bus service as well.

And NYC taxis charge a flat fee from JFK or La Guardia into midtown.

Sorry but I don't think there is much in the way of public transportation from La Guardia.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

From JFK Q10 to union Tpk last stop E or F train to 42nd st 1 block away

From LGA take M60 to Lenox av take 2 or 3 to Times SQ

We will be joining you on the cruise, but getting a ride in.

One thing to keep in mind-----there will be a LARGE crowd in New York for the St Patrick's Day parade, which will be on the day of boarding, March 16 (usually on the 17--but never on Sunday). Unless you are staying in Newark, you will experience a delay in getting to the port.

We took a cab from Newark to the cruise terminal. There were four of us and lots of luggage, so they ordered the larger cab for us. The big one was $77 plus tip and that included all tolls, taxes, etc. Make sure to get an actual cab rather than one of the limo or driver services for the best fare.

We originally considered public transportation, but DS due to knee injury was on crutches. Also for four and given the extra hassel, the cab seemed worth the money to us.

I would probably in your case go with the least expensive airline. We before the cruise were visiting relatives who live in Clark NJ and Newark is less than a 1/2 hour from where they live, by far the most convienent airport for visiting them.

We are sailing on the Splendor out of NYC this next April. We are flying to LGA, and plan on taking a cab to our hotel by Times Square. I'm assuming taxi fare will be in the $40 to $50 range by time the rates change in September.

The point being, I'd rather be dropped off at the hotel's door rather than walking for blocks with luggage in tow.;)

Yes, you are doing it the way I would want to--I live in manhattan, (10 years in midtown and 15 now on the upper west side)--and I have flown in and out many, many times.

OP, I would do what is clearest and easiest particularly when schlepping bags. I don't do Newark unless I'm only dealing with one small rolling bag.

OP ..Being a native NNJ gal and also one who is sailing with you.

With the St Pat's Day parade that weekend all the hotels in the city will have their prices jacked higher than their normal jacking.

Fly into Newark and stay at one of the airport hotels that have airport to hotel shuttle service.

Take the shuttle back to the airport in the morning and take the Carnival shuttle to the port.

We happen to live in VA and plan on taking the train into NYC very early on the 16th.

Archived