Princess South America

whitewings1

We have booked on the Star Princess to sail from Chile to LA.

On the Princess website it says we can only bring one bottle of wine pp on this cruise. Does anyone know if this is a new Princess policy or is it specific to Chile? We have always taken several bottles of wine on our previous cruises with Princess. Appreciate if someone could clarify as I'm not interested in putting wine in my luggage, I'd just like to carry it on as we usually do. Another question. If we can only bring one bottle pp, does anyone know if we can then bring more on when we stop in other ports. Thank you.

On the Princess website it says we can only bring one bottle of wine pp on this cruise. Does anyone know if this is a new Princess policy or is it specific to Chile? We have always taken several bottles of wine on our previous cruises with Princess. Appreciate if someone could clarify as I'm not interested in putting wine in my luggage, I'd just like to carry it on as we usually do. Another question. If we can only bring one bottle pp, does anyone know if we can then bring more on when we stop in other ports. Thank you.

It is slightly new wording with the addition of "per voyage". However, the Passage Contract wording remains "Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption."

Our only experience boarding in Valparaiso was two years ago. We purchased a couple of bottles at a store near the pier on turnaround day and carried the bag on board with no problems. We had a brief issue in Buenos Aires carrying four bottles on board but that was due to an inexperienced Princess employee and the supervisor gave an OK. Princess has been slowly changing the verbiage on the website and in the Cruise Answer Book, but so far no change to the Passage Contract and no change in actual practice at the pier. Hopefully someone can post experience from the 2011/2012 cruise season.

I have always brought more than a bottle of wine on per voyage. I too follow the contract where it does not state a limit.

We recentlly did this voyage in march (see blog link below) and in Argentina and then again in Valpariso we brought on 9 bottles in each port with no issues.

Vickie

Hope they don't change that passenger contract. We enjoy having a glass of wine on the balcony before dinner.

The contract also says you agree to follow any rules the ship has, so any rule on the ship, including amount of wine brought aboard, is allowed by the contract.

We boarded in Valparaiso last February and brought on 6 bottles of wine after visiting a wonderful vinyard in the Casablanca valley. They also sell wine in the terminal. We are on the Valparaiso to LA cruise next March on the Star and plan to bring on wine then too.

Thank you Azbirdmom.

We are hoping to get wine in Valparaiso somewhere. Do they have a good selection at the terminal and do you think they would be open on Sunday to sell wine?

They did have a decent selection but we didn't opt to buy any since we had stocked up already (and then supplemented at some of ports). I am sure that EVERYTHING there will be open Sunday - if a ship is there, they won't miss the opportunity to make money.

If you're coming in the day before, you can easily book a tour to the Casablanca valley. We had a wine tour / transfer to the port from Santiago and have booked the same next year.

Somewhat related - I recall that alcoholic beverages bought onshore would be kept somewhere in the ship then returned to the passenger on disembarkation. If this is true, would it be applied to wine in excess of whatever the limits are for consumption onboard?

Just curious.

Somewhat related - I recall that alcoholic beverages bought onshore would be kept somewhere in the ship then returned to the passenger on disembarkation. If this is true, would it be applied to wine in excess of whatever the limits are for consumption onboard?

Just curious.

I know we have gotten on in port with numerous bottles of wine (Buenos aries 9 bottles, and Valpariso 9 bottles) the only one security took was the bottle of hard liqour which we did not have an issue with.

The contract does not state a limit and we have never had an issue

Note bottle was returned to us after our first leg of the b2b in Valpariso - go figure, but we didn't open it, it was for home.

vickie

Vickie Bernie really enjoyed your blog about Rio - We'll do that walking tour when we are there. I had a problem with your blog about Lima - I was left wondering what happened in the Crossing the Ecuator ceremony!!!

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2012/03/sea-day-crossing-equator-and-connie-and.html

The lima posts didn't get put in date order and too difficult to correct here it is

Archived