Benefits of owning CCL stock..

sassy~one

An online brokerage firm would be good.

However you should only buy it if YOU think it is a good investment.

I gather you have never purchased a stock before. Would strongly suggest you go to your local library and read about investing before you invest.

I know there is OBC offered.

I really seek info on where to purchase? Is it at a good price now? How can i keep track?

Any help would be awesome. thanks debbie

any place that does trades .. its up 4.76% this year

and as of yesterday date if you owned u got 2.9% dividend

invest wisely , i would not be buying now

but thats for me,

I know there is OBC offered.

I really seek info on where to purchase? Is it at a good price now? How can i keep track?

Any help would be awesome. thanks debbie

Sounds like you are totally new to investing and have never bought stock before.

First, learn all you can about the basics. Talk to your family and friends who invest. Get their suggestions.

Second, decide if you can afford to invest. You will need to commit to about $3000 to qualify for the Carnival credit.

Third, determine if Carnival is a good investment itself, without the credit.

Fourth (finally?), find a discount broker who will charge no more than $10 for the transaction.

Hope this is helpful!

but thats for me,

THats over 3 times what I'm getting from my Credit Union, but we bought it because of the OBC....I know people will say thats not a good idea but we have gotten back half our investment already and have 7 CCL cruises currently booked over the next 13 months...:)...Dennis

I pretty much agree with Dennis, but I may be in the minority since I live in Florida, and I cruise a LOT. Also, my $3000 was sitting in an account that was earning only about 1.5 percent, so any gain above that is EXCELLENT, IMO. You must, however, understand that you could lose part, or even all of that $3000 investment. We've sailed 7 times since buying the stock, (just over a year ago) so we've not only gotten the cash dividend, and the increase in value, but we've also gained OBC total, of $850! Such a deal!

"SKY"

but thats for me,

Its up which I find scary and would tend to tell me that it is only up with the market, and not because its doing well. Missed earnings end of last year.. declared a loss first qtr this year, and I have not noticed that 2nd qtr earnings for this year is out yet.

If you think after dismal earnings the only direction is up.. then it could be a good investment .. but if the market has a hiccup .. CCL will go down with the market too because its not growing earnings.

I personally think thats why Carnival is investigating all these other ways to make money during the cruise ... other than with cruisefare which is sagging.

Anyone telling me this is a good investment here doesnt have a clue about pe and peg and other performance measures.

People buy it for OBC and say .. ok it has a dividend too.. enough for me even if the stock price never grows compared to other stocks.

Understand buying stocks is a risk.. and dont take investment advice from a cruise message board.

Its up which I find scary and would tend to tell me that it is only up with the market, and not because its doing well. Missed earnings end of last year.. declared a loss first qtr this year, and I have not noticed that 2nd qtr earnings for this year is out yet.

If you think after dismal earnings the only direction is up.. then it could be a good investment .. but if the market has a hiccup .. CCL will go down with the market too because its not growing earnings.

I personally think thats why Carnival is investigating all these other ways to make money during the cruise ... other than with cruisefare which is sagging.

Anyone telling me this is a good investment here doesnt have a clue about pe and peg and other performance measures.

People buy it for OBC and say .. ok it has a dividend too.. enough for me even if the stock price never grows compared to other stocks.

Understand buying stocks is a risk.. and dont take investment advice from a cruise message board.

You are absolutly correct Fire (as always)...But do talk to a finiacial expert as we did, there should be one at your local bank..But we have some money sitting in our Credit Union and have not touched our 401K so as long as you are not risking your house payment I think its a good investment .....Dennis

You are absolutly correct Fire (as always)...But do talk to a finiacial expert as we did, there should be one at your local bank..But we have some money sitting in our Credit Union and have not touched our 401K so as long as you are not risking your house payment I think its a good investment .....Dennis

If it wasnt for the fact that we have been cruising 3x per year and getting $ 300 per year as an essentially tax free dividend on top of the regular dividend would sell .

I agree and that's why I stated I would not buy right now

In addition to you reasons we have also seen ccl investing in euro at a time of great uncertainty

I think it inflated ow and while have have done well with it

I did sell most at a great price a while back

I think you missed the boat on a stock purchase. It is a bit high now , .....I would wait for a price pullback. It has been good for me the dividend plus the OBC are great. If you are a freequent cruiser it pays to own it!

OP, I disagree with the above completely, even though Harris may well be correct. No one knows where Carnival (or any) stock price is going to be six months from now, no matter what anyone says to you. If you consider it a good investment, then by all means purchase it.

Kevin C

I agree and that's why I stated I would not buy right now

In addition to you reasons we have also seen ccl investing in euro at a time of great uncertainty

I think it inflated ow and while have have done well with it

I did sell most at a great price a while back

I sold around $42 (I had bought 700 shares and sold 600, when I bought I had higher expectations for Carnival and wish I had sold years earlier when it was up, darn) .. and had bought at $45 so I lost money. What is a great price to one isnt a great price to another. I sold when the 4th qtr earnings came out 2011..

Yes, I was agreeing with you.. sorry if it was not clear.

I see many people on this thread all agree the stock is "toppy", and probably at the top of its range.

You keep writing this, but that does not make it true. Here is actual 4th and 1st qtr results:

CCL Industries Reports a 38% Increase in Fourth Quarter 2011 Net As Sales Rise 13%. Board Approves Raising Dividend by 11%.

Basic earnings were $0.91 per Class B share in the first quarter of 2012 compared to $0.81 per Class B share in the prior year quarter.

Considering the Concordia issue, their earnings have been stellar. They have reported 2 qtr earnings:

"Net earnings for the six-month period of 2012 were $56.3 million, an increase of 15.6% compared to $48.7 million for the same period a year ago. This resulted in basic and diluted earnings of $1.68 and $1.65 per Class B share, respectively, for the 2012 six-month period compared to basic and diluted earnings of $1.47 and $1.44 per Class B share, respectively, for the prior year six-month period. The increase in net earnings is attributable to the improvement in operating income, and a reduction in net finance cost partially offset by an increase in the effective tax rate."

I have no idea where the stock is going, but then again, neither do you.

Like nearly every other stock in a down market! Doesn't help the OP much.

We agree completely on this one.

Kevin C

You keep writing this, but that does not make it true. Here is actual 4th and 1st qtr results:

Kevin C

they missed the FORECAST numbers.

Not sure why you posted all the above.. has nothing to do with the numbers that are FORECAST. You can report a increase in earnings.. and miss the FORECAST numbers.

I trade stocks often and used to consider myself a stock trader .. so maybe people just dont know what the term means "to miss numbers". It means they missed the forecast.

PEG indicates growth going forward .. what is forecast combined with the current pe.. PEG. To me PEG is a important indicator if the stock will have growth.

I dont care if the stock moves up or down a bit.. what I care about as a investor is growth, so to me PEG is a important indicator. Any PEG above 1.0 .. you can find better bets.

I own it for the OBC now as many do.. nothing wrong with that.

OP a good place to start is yahoo.. look at the charts, long and short term and study them, look at the pe and peg (the lower the better on both).

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ccl&ql=1

then pull up some other tickers to compare numbers. CAT is a large cap steady company, so Ill use it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=cat&ql=1

Notice the differences in PEGs.. warnings bells should be going off in your head if you are thinking this is a INVESTMENT, its merely a great way of getting OBC which is good if you cruise a lot.

CAT is about .58 PEG vs 1.58 PEG for CCL .. remember the lower the pe and PEG the better usually if you are looking for a stock that is going to grow in price.

Before someone completely dismisses what I am saying.. I made $30K trading CAT the end of last year, the last time I did some active stock trading. I go in and out of trading. I like to buy the end of summer and sell by the end of winter or January.. and pick something like CAT because I know it will keep growing..PEG tells me that. I know if something really bad happens .. CCL is a lot more vulnerable than CAT which will grow into its PE a lot easier so its a SAFER buy as a investment here.

Of course PEG is based on forecasts.. thats why I care if a stock "misses its numbers", i.e. misses the forecast numbers.

Not sure why you posted all the above.. has nothing to do with the numbers that are FORECAST. You can report a increase in earnings.. and miss the FORECAST numbers.

I posted the above because you said, and I quote, ".. declared a loss first qtr this year". they did not. You also stated they "missed earnings end of last year".

ccl.jpg

According to the above, they reported .26/share earnings and exceeded the consensus of the 15 analysts following CCL by .03/share.

I've been trading since Hector was a pup (made my first purchase in 1969); I do for sure know what you meant by "missed their numbers".

The internet is a wonderful thing. One of the bad things about it though, is once something gets printed, it tends to become real, regardless of its veracity. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this is the third time I've read the above and wanted to correct the error.

Kevin C

I have no idea where the stock is going, but then again, neither do you.

Like nearly every other stock in a down market! Doesn't help the OP much.

Kevin C

CNBC says we are in a stealth UPmarket. That we are nearing break out levels. Not a down market.

You say you have no idea where the stock is going and neither do I. I beg to differ. Charts will give short term movement info. I also know that history repeats itself. Typically (i.e. on average), from here to year end.. the market will be up. time to sell is around March and come back during the doldrums of August.. except the market has already been moving up. (Not down as you say).

The NUMBERS tell me that CAT should be up much more at year end than CCL (check year end and see).

I live off figuring out which way stocks will move. I dont have any other income, no retirmement other than my stocks, and live off them and cruise off the proceeds.. so telling me I have no idea which way a stock will move is just because you have no idea?

Pretty much a universal sentiment on this thread except you that CCL is toppy here. i.e. its near the top of its current range, so to keep going up it will continually have to break thru resistance. one reason it will be hard sledding to truly break out, unless it reports outstanding numbers.

This is my profession. If you want to believe no one knows which way the market is moving in the near future.. thats up to you.

Im not going to argue how you read the numbers vs how I read them. I dont care how you read them.. Im just telling you that this is my business, how I earn a living.

Buy CCL for the OBC if you cruise a lot .. its not going anywhere.. its fine, its a stable stock because it pays a small dividend.. but its also not a growth stock at this time.. based on the NUMBERS and how I read them. Check CAT and CCL at year end and see if Im totally wrong. Who knows, CAT could miss a forecast too. China is a big part of their earnings and getting iffy, its why CAT is such a huge buy right here. China uncertainty.

Since you seem to think this is a down market .. and CNBC says the opposite.. and you also believe no one knows where stocks will go. .. we already dont agree .. but Im giving you my reasons why both SHOULD be up by year end .. because historically the market runs into year end..

I would also assert that the differences in how you first first qtr this year and how I view it are due to write offs.. you think they dont count, I do. you can look at this either way and not be wrong. It is all about viewpoints.

Well, Im off to buy some wine for my cruise roomie on conquest.. so Ill be gone for a while if you want to argue some more how I have no idea about stock direction and you think its a down market.... and CNBC says its a upmarket.

Since you seem to think this is a down market ..

Wow. I don't know where to start.

All I wanted to do was correct the two errors in your missive to the OP. One, that CCL missed its numbers in the 4th qtr 2011, and two, that CCL declared a loss in the 1st quarter 2012. Both of those statement are incorrect, and you have ignored my responses to them to go ad hominem on me. This is not personal to me, I am simply correcting your misstatements to the OP. The second time you have made them no less.

I never said the market was down, I am enjoying it at present. I was responding to what you stated to the OP:

but if the market has a hiccup .. CCL will go down with the market too because its not growing earnings.

With Like nearly every other stock in a down market!, and not as you are now stating that I believe the current market is a down market. By the way, I have no idea where CCL will be tomorrow, no less in six months, nor would I try to guess or make a stock recommendation to anyone on this board (or anywhere else outside my family).

This is my profession. If you want to believe no one knows which way the market is moving in the near future.. thats up to you.

I don't care what you do, don't care how much money you make, don't care how good you are at trading. I do think you are deluding yourself if you truly believe that regardless of your expertise you know where the market is going. You don't, nor does anyone else.

Repeating myself, I only wanted to correct your two misstatements.

Again, not personal. I am done. Sorry for boring everyone, and thanks for reading.

Kevin C

Archived