Alaska last trip

Mjflowers

Jackie,

I have to disagree with you that "Everyone we know that has sailed on a luxury cruise line and then a river cruise has been disappointed. To be fair, none of them did Tauck."

I did a Avalon River cruise a year or so ago and was not disappointed. Is it different? For sure but that was no surprise. I had a very good time and am going on another one - AMA this time - next Spring.

I'm pretty sure the Navigator does no have PODS . . . . and yes, the Voyager WC which was canceled was in 2009.

Peggy, thanks for speaking up. I was only referring to several couples that we have discussed river cruising with. When we finally get to see you again (in March), we would love to hear about your experience with AMA and definitely want to hear about your Crystal WC:)

Thanks for you comments, ping pong. I agree totally. We sailed on AMA Danube cruise after many regent cruises. It was definitely different. While we enjoyed it, there were a couple of things that drove my husband nuts. The most glaring was the dining room, which was chaotic at every meal. I just learned to not even try to do breakfast there. And lunch and dinner, we learned to be sure we were the first to arrive. Lunch buffet was a huge crowd at all times. Noise level was always very high.

I would do another river cruise, but forewarned about this issue.

All Responders, Jackie, Peggy and Rachel etc., There is no question that Regent is better than a river boat, for many reasons. Size, food, available activities, and greater range. That does not make the experience in and of itself better. A good river cruise is so different, but yet can be an enlightening trip. Docking in the middle of a small, european, medieval village is a unique experience obviously not duplicated on an ocean cruise.

The key, imo, to a successful river cruise is to meld the best on board experience with a superior itinerary. We have cruised on both Tauck and Uniworld. The Tauck atmosphere was terrific, the Uniworld atmosphere was excellent. To me that says-both great but one slightly better. The issue was on Tauck it was just like Regent or SS; what can we do to make this as wonderful for you as possible; while on Uniworld everything was excellent but there was no next gear. I wish to emphasize, however, we loved Uniworld and have absolutely no complaints. Their itinerary was better and that's why we chose them-a good choice.

I have posted many times, if I want to experience the best of river cruising, I would do AMS-BUD on Tauck and in that direction.

Hello all!!! Having spent much research and trolling of CC Rivercruise boards my head is spinning .....

So far the Itinerary is Amsterdam to Budapest but AMA or Avalon???? Fall or Spring??? Just can't decide....to bad I can't shrink Mariner and sail her down the Danube :)

Hello all!!! Having spent much research and trolling of CC Rivercruise boards my head is spinning .....

So far the Itinerary is Amsterdam to Budapest but AMA or Avalon???? Fall or Spring??? Just can't decide....to bad I can't shrink Mariner and sail her down the Danube :)

You can do this cities by land -- first class -- save money and have a wonderful time! Not everything is done better by ship (IMHO):)

EleanorWW - My wife and I were leaving the ship (off the Alaska cruise) as you were coming onboard for the day's marketing tour. I wish there had been an opportunity for the departing passengers, no matter however briefly, for us to have met Mr. Conroy that morning. We weren't told he was even in the area. ...

pingpong1 - I think you make a valid point. wouldn't it would have been a treat for departing passengers if Mark Conroy had been at that last point before leaving the ship, to thank everyone for choosing Regent? how cool would that have been?

Mark began his comments with mentioning that many of the Navigator people involved with our "tour group" had to give up an opportunity to be ashore - implying that even on a turnaround day, some staff and crew would have normally enjoyed a few hours in San Francisco. yikes. in addition to us 100 looky-loos, there may have been 20 or so agents from our travel agency. I met my TA, face-to-face, for the first time! as it was Labor Day, these people also gave up part of their holiday to meet and greet past and future Regent clients. I suppose one could say loyalty is a two-way street?

your question re the 2009 Voyager pod problem was answered? 2009 was a troublesome year for Regent. we had Navigator booked that fall, Istanbul to Fort Lauderdale, and the Rome to FLL leg was cancelled... a week after final payment. no engine problems, just a schedule change and adjustment to revenues. we hope to just go with the flow as long as we can.

I've looked at these lines, and similar itineraries. We're not going to spring for one yet, but I think fall would be nice. And I'm favouring AMA or Uniworld right now. I would only do a 7-day trip to start, since I'm not sure I would like the river cruise--combined with some pre- and/or post-cruise travel.

Wendy, I think you and I have similar tastes, so I would definitely recommend the Prague to Budapest AMA cruise.m we did a couple of days pre cruise in Prague. Could easily have done another. We did an extra day post cruise in Budapest and again could have done another here.

I really enjoyed all the stops along the river. I would do another river cruise. Not sure I could convince my husband to though. A Christmas market cruise would be fun.

Hi Wendy etc. , We're here on a Regent board, if you can afford Regent you can afford Tauck and certainly Uniworld. Itinerary not being a factor, Tauck beats the others hands down, cost doesn't enter the picture v middle market and down market if you wish to compare amenities.

Archived