About the HARD BEDS

kyrisong1

Ok so I booked through SW airlines so we can take 2 suitcases each, bought an eggcrate and a space bag. I'll report back on how it worked out.

We cruise from NOLA on Conquest in September.

I think it's a pain in the rear to have to pack your own eggcrate, but I got a letter from Guest Services saying I was misinformed, there is no eggcrates available on the ships, although 2 months ago it was Guest Services that told me to ask for one:rolleyes:

BTW Carnival I REALLY miss the old matresses, I don't usually complain but this is a BIGGIE for me, I like my double pillowtops!!!

I'm using my mantra "cheap rates, good ports" for calming purposes and going with the flow, let you all know how it all works out.

Cheers, Carole

I agree about the lack of egg crates.

I know that some people like a really hard bed.

But beds as hard as the ones I have had lately make it hard to sleep and hurt.

I guess I have some arthritis developing, but beds as hard as that really hurt my hips.

And the beds are bad enough that it wakes me up after I get to sleep.

But since Carnival has made the decision to use those incredibly hard beds, it would be nice if they would make accommodations for the people for whom the hard beds are inappropriate.

Are the hard beds a new thing? The reason I asked is because my first cruise was on the Elation in April 2012 and I have never slept better! I just don't recall my bed being hard!

I cruise again in 22 days and am looking forward to the sleep I plan on getting. I cruise again in 22 days and now I am a little worried...

On our last cruise I thought the beds were hard too. I have issues with my hips and an egg crate pad helps. I had an idea recently that I might try on our next cruise. First I need to tell you about my experience at an AI in MX. We had a king bed that was rock hard so I asked for an egg crate pad but they were out of king size. Instead they took 2 queen size and turned them sideways, one on top of the other. Of course this meant that they didn't go all the way down to the bottom of the bed, only about 2/3 down. I wondered if this would feel funny but it didn't. I never even noticed where the egg crate left off and I don't need extra padding below my hips anyway. Since we have to fly to ports for cruises I never even considered packing an egg crate pad but just recently I had an idea. I am the only one who needs extra padding. My DH can sleep anywhere and doesn't care if the bed is hard so we don't need a pad on the entire bed. I thought I might buy a really cheap twin size pad and then cut it down in length so that it's even smaller. About 4' would be enough. I really don't need padding up top under my pillow or below my hips. Then I would use a space bag to pack it and suck the air out of it. It should be pretty small. Then for the return home I'd either ask the cabin steward to use the vacuum or more likely, just throw it away since they are cheap anyway.

I think it is a matter of preception concerning the hardness/softness of a mattress. At work, we can have 2 different guests use the same unit right after each other and one will say it is to hard/soft and another will say it is just right. We have had in the past the egg crates as well, but have found that the space required to store them, as well as the durability, or lack of, has prompted us to not buy more.

I have never had a hard bed on Carnival. The problem may be that what one considers a hard bed someone else thinks is a perfect bed.

The hardest bed we had was on the NCL Spirit, they had the eggcrates but it was still hard. I still slept okay, I think it's the motion of the ship that puts me to sleep.

I'm a new cruiser to carnival (and really, a new cruiser in general.. I don't think cruising as a kid counts ;) )

I see the "twin beds become king" option...

Do the mattresses feel like 2 mattresses? Do they separate while you sleep on them?

My favorite thing about Carnival has always been the comfort beds, you guys are obviously still getting the good mattresses, they were outstanding, but now the new CEO has decided to save money and is switching out for hard mattresses.

Last fall on the Miracle I could hardly wait to leave the ship it was so hard and thin it was awful. The steward had no eggcrate but put comforters under us, which was still really lumpy and hard. I was so disappointed, because there was never anything as good as being rocked to sleep in those awesome beds.

Anyway I'm taking my eggcrate for insurance that I sleep good and ENJOY my vacation.

Hopefully I won't need it but I'm not chancing it!!!

Carole

I'm a new cruiser to carnival (and really, a new cruiser in general.. I don't think cruising as a kid counts ;) )

I see the "twin beds become king" option...

Do the mattresses feel like 2 mattresses? Do they separate while you sleep on them?

It feels like two beds put together.

They put something on the crack, but it is noticeable.

Cruised on the Magic a couple of weeks ago.

The mattresses were HARD as a ROCK!!

*VERY* FIRM!!!!!

And no eggcrates to be found :mad:

Cabin 8469 on the Magic on the August 5, 2012, sailing felt like all the others I have slept in.

Cabin 8469 on the Magic on the August 5, 2012, sailing felt like all the others I have slept in.

Not doubting anyone that says they lucked out with a comfortable bed in a certain cabin.

It's all subjective. Some people like soft, pillow-top mattresses ... while others prefer firm.

Carnival is not going to make everyone happy 100% of the time when it comes to the beds they provide. It's just nice when cruise lines offer eggcrates or mattress toppers when a cruiser finds their mattress too hard for comfort.

It's a sad, sad day when some of us feel the need to pack our own foam toppers just to get a GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP while on VACATION :p

On our last cruise I thought the beds were hard too. I have issues with my hips and an egg crate pad helps. I had an idea recently that I might try on our next cruise. First I need to tell you about my experience at an AI in MX. We had a king bed that was rock hard so I asked for an egg crate pad but they were out of king size. Instead they took 2 queen size and turned them sideways, one on top of the other. Of course this meant that they didn't go all the way down to the bottom of the bed, only about 2/3 down. I wondered if this would feel funny but it didn't. I never even noticed where the egg crate left off and I don't need extra padding below my hips anyway. Since we have to fly to ports for cruises I never even considered packing an egg crate pad but just recently I had an idea. I am the only one who needs extra padding. My DH can sleep anywhere and doesn't care if the bed is hard so we don't need a pad on the entire bed. I thought I might buy a really cheap twin size pad and then cut it down in length so that it's even smaller. About 4' would be enough. I really don't need padding up top under my pillow or below my hips. Then I would use a space bag to pack it and suck the air out of it. It should be pretty small. Then for the return home I'd either ask the cabin steward to use the vacuum or more likely, just throw it away since they are cheap anyway.

Ugh! The beds in Mexico are evil! It took me weeks after I got home to recover from them (I'm sure it didn't help that I fell down the stairs a day or two after I got home), and it's been 6 months and I still can't sit on wooden chairs or benches for more than an hour. And I'm only 34!!!

I'm contemplating taking an air mattress and half-inflating it for sleep, then blowing it up to use at the beach.

I'm wondering about all the bed complaints, too. My last cruise was in 2010 and the beds were very comfortable and the sheets were so nice that I bought similar ones for home when we returned from the cruise. I sleep with a 4" memory foam mattress topper. I hope the beds on the Legend will not be hard next summer, especially since it's a 12 day cruise. I can't afford, nor do I want, to carry extra sleeping items with me to Europe.

Archived