MEN: What are you reading?

javamom

My DH is not an avid reader but I thought I'd pick up something for our upcoming cruise. He usually reads trade magazines (leaving those at home!) and Tom Clancy.

What is new and exciting on your reading lists?

I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin... but I'd recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen or the Serge Storms novels by Tim Dorsey. They're not as "manly" of reads as Tom Clancy, but Hiaasen and Dorsey write hilarious, hard-to-put down books.

Can't tell where you guys are from or what kind of business your husband is in. Those might be indicators of what he'd like.

"Cruise Confidential" might be of interest on a cruise.

I agree about Carl Hiaasen, especially "Skinny Dip," which begins on a cruise ship.

If outdoorsy themes might work, try C.J. Box or Steve Hamilton. For SoCal noir, there's T. Jefferson Parker and Don Winslow.

You want manly? Think about Lee Child.

P.S. I love these threads where people just exchange ideas rather than arguing with each other.

Jim

Even though I am a lady, my DH and I read the same books. (I am so not a chick flick gal. My favorite movie this summer was Expendables 2. :D)

Some of our favorites are:

Bahamarama, by Bob Morris

Hunt for Atlantis, by Andy McDermott

Amazonia, by James Rollins. (Heck, EVERY book by James Rollins!)

Great police procedurals from Michael Connelley... The Harry Bosch series is excellent, but you can't go wrong with anybod them.

Any Jonathan Kellerman... Any James Lee Burke... Any Lawrence Block

And a little closer to Clancy... The Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt novels.

Finally, have to **** for new Michael Koryta, The Prophet. Great crime thriller...

I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin... but I'd recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen or the Serge Storms novels by Tim Dorsey. They're not as "manly" of reads as Tom Clancy, but Hiaasen and Dorsey write hilarious, hard-to-put down books.

I agree! My DH has read all of the Hiaasen and Dorsey books... also likes John Grisham's legal thrillers and he did just finish and enjoy Gunshot Straight by Lou Berney...other than that, he is reading facebook... :) Since neither Hiaasen or Dorsey have a new book out, I'm at a loss as to what to recoomend.

Just looked up Balducci to download for MY hubby..he is looking for something also....

There are at least 4 Balducci's. Does anyone know the first name and recommend any particular book he/she has written?

Thank you:o:o:o:o

Its David BALDACCI...

Both good authors - the Dorsey/Serge series are pretty funny.

Also a big fan of David Baldacci - especially his Camel Club series.

I might try to read Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes on my next cruise - have had it sitting around for a few years. Really like his books, but this one was found on his computer and was published posthumously, so not expecting much compared to his other works....

Even though I am a lady, my DH and I read the same books. (I am so not a chick flick gal. My favorite movie this summer was Expendables 2. :D)

Some of our favorites are:

Bahamarama, by Bob Morris

Hunt for Atlantis, by Andy McDermott

Amazonia, by James Rollins. (Heck, EVERY book by James Rollins!)

Bob Morris books are a good read as well. I left out another lesser-known author, his books are set in Key West, Tom Corcoran. He's a friend of Jimmy Buffett's and actually co-wrote the song "Fins". The Mango Opera is the first of his books.

I brought a copy of "1984" by George Orwell, to read on the ship in case things get boring. Being a classic, I figured it'd be a conversation opener as an added bonus. But there was always something to do, so I never even opened the book. Read it on the plane ride home instead. It was doubleplusgood :D.

Bob Morris books are a good read as well. I left out another lesser-known author, his books are set in Key West, Tom Corcoran. He's a friend of Jimmy Buffett's and actually co-wrote the song "Fins". The Mango Opera is the first of his books.

Never read Morris, but I'd agree Corcoran is way underrated. I don't understand why certain authors never catch the big wave despite being more talented (my opinion) than so many big name writers. Others that really deserve a following are John Shannon, S.J. Rozan, Steve Hamilton, Bryan Gruley and Don Winslow.

Jim

Archived