MEN: What are you reading?

javamom

I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin... but I'd recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen or the Serge Storms novels by Tim Dorsey. They're not as "manly" of reads as Tom Clancy, but Hiaasen and Dorsey write hilarious, hard-to-put down books.

javamom-Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen! Great story, fast read, but you are able to put it down grab a drink, a dunk in the ocean, and get back to it.

Got me into reading more Carl Hiaasen!

My recent favorite 'guyish' books - (I'm a girl) :)

I am loving Game of Thrones right now. Also couldn't put down Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, or 11/22/63 by Stephen King. My husband loves the Wheel of Time series.

If you like spy novels, Ted Bell is excellent. The character is Lord Hawk, like a James Bond, very well written. The first novel is Pirate. Circle of Bones by Christine Kling is also very good. I also loved Pirate Latitudes by Michael Creighton. Are you starting to see a pattern, argggggg

Try this author, especially the Donovan Creed series. If you own a Kindle or Kindle app, they are only $2.99 ea which is a steal. This author became famous by selling his novels at a low price and maximum quantities. This is a real action series.

Carl Hiaasen...Skinny Dip.

Randy Wayne White...Any of the Doc Ford series.

I have a Kindle 3G/WiFi and love it.

I will say though that I always download a couple of new books to read on the cruise and the only reading I get done is on the plane there and back.

I agree! My DH has read all of the Hiaasen and Dorsey books... also likes John Grisham's legal thrillers and he did just finish and enjoy Gunshot Straight by Lou Berney...other than that, he is reading facebook... :) Since neither Hiaasen or Dorsey have a new book out, I'm at a loss as to what to recoomend.

If he likes those try Kinky Friedman or Elmore Leonard. Funny.

That brings up, if a Nook, which one?

We (DH and I ) each have a Nook Color and love it! I initially thought I wanted the small B&W Nook, but the Color is awesome, and so nice on your eyes. Plus, you can do magazines. You can even "borrow" books form the libray if your local library participates in an e-reader program (most do).

Just looked up Balducci to download for MY hubby..he is looking for something also....

There are at least 4 Balducci's. Does anyone know the first name and recommend any particular book he/she has written?

Thank you:o:o:o:o

Pretty sure it's David Baldacci that the poster is refering to. He writes thrillers.

other book suggestions

The Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

James Patterson's Alex Cross series-he has a dozen series out, but this one would appeal to him.

Steve Berry- History based thrillers along the lines of Dan Brown

Carl Hiaasen, especially for a Caribbean cruise, but make sure you don't get any of his children's books

Brad Thor

Lee Child

If he reads non-fiction, try Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

From the 1936 Olympics to WWII Japan's most brutal POW camps, Hillenbrand's heart-wrenching new book is thousands of miles and a world away from the racing circuit of her bestselling Seabiscuit. But it's just as much a page-turner, and its hero, Louie Zamperini, is just as loveable: a disciplined champion racer who ran in the Berlin Olympics, he's a wit, a prankster, and a reformed juvenile delinquent who put his thieving skills to good use in the POW camps

Get him a Kindle or a Nook & you can load them up with a ton of books.

If he has a laptop or tablet, I'd get the Kindle touch. It is vey light & has the pearl e-ink, and he can download the app from Amazon, & have access to his entire library. The fire & the Nook color are heavier and really like reading from a computer screen. I have a 3-g & love the connectivity in the car or even on my balcony when in port. My fire is great for media and color maps, but I think it might be tooo heavey to carry aroung in my travel purse all day.

My hubby is rereading some classics & the Shelock Holmes stories on his, all for free.

You can also borrow books from many libraries that will work on Kindle or Nook

Cindy in librarian mode

Pretty sure it's David Baldacci that the poster is refering to. He writes thrillers.

other book suggestions

The Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

James Patterson's Alex Cross series-he has a dozen series out, but this one would appeal to him.

Steve Berry- History based thrillers along the lines of Dan Brown

Carl Hiaasen, especially for a Caribbean cruise, but make sure you don't get any of his children's books

Brad Thor

Lee Child

If he reads non-fiction, try Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

From the 1936 Olympics to WWII Japan's most brutal POW camps, Hillenbrand's heart-wrenching new book is thousands of miles and a world away from the racing circuit of her bestselling Seabiscuit. But it's just as much a page-turner, and its hero, Louie Zamperini, is just as loveable: a disciplined champion racer who ran in the Berlin Olympics, he's a wit, a prankster, and a reformed juvenile delinquent who put his thieving skills to good use in the POW camps

Get him a Kindle or a Nook & you can load them up with a ton of books.

If he has a laptop or tablet, I'd get the Kindle touch. It is vey light & has the pearl e-ink, and he can download the app from Amazon, & have access to his entire library. The fire & the Nook color are heavier and really like reading from a computer screen. I have a 3-g & love the connectivity in the car or even on my balcony when in port. My fire is great for media and color maps, but I think it might be tooo heavey to carry aroung in my travel purse all day.

My hubby is rereading some classics & the Shelock Holmes stories on his, all for free.

You can also borrow books from many libraries that will work on Kindle or Nook

Cindy in librarian mode

Thank you for such wonderful info. You are the 4th or 5th person that suggested Unbroken. I went to the Barnes and Noble website. This is right up his alley...I just ordered it..(we have Nooks). THANK YOU

I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin... but I'd recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen or the Serge Storms novels by Tim Dorsey. They're not as "manly" of reads as Tom Clancy, but Hiaasen and Dorsey write hilarious, hard-to-put down books.

Two thumbs up for Hiaasen! Dave Barry is good. They're similar in some ways. I didn't know about Tim Dorsey. I'm going to check him out.

My DH is not an avid reader but I thought I'd pick up something for our upcoming cruise. He usually reads trade magazines (leaving those at home!) and Tom Clancy.

What is new and exciting on your reading lists?

If he likes Clancy try WEB Griffin, but don't get the new release. He writes a number of series that have a continuing story line. You can start at any place but it is better to get the first one in a given series so that he can go through the character development. They are really good.

Just looked up Balducci to download for MY hubby..he is looking for something also....

There are at least 4 Balducci's. Does anyone know the first name and recommend any particular book he/she has written?

Thank you:o:o:o:o

You are looking for David Balducci.

You are looking for David Balducci.

Nope it's David BALDACCI

David Baldacci has published seventeen novels: Absolute Power, Total Control, The Winner, The Simple Truth, Saving Faith, Wish You Well, Last Man Standing, The Christmas Train, Split Second, Hour Game, The Camel Club, The Collectors, Simple Genius, Stone Cold, and The Whole Truth; and in his young adult series, Freddy and the French Fries: Fries Alive! and Freddy and the French Fries: The Adventures of Silas Finklebean.

Another vote for Michael Connelly. I like "guy" books. Dh was on a Lee Child kick for a while. Lot of action.

Should have added him to my list. Harry Bosch is terriffic.

Walter Mosely is another great writer & my favorite author of all time is the late lamented Dick Francis.

Loved the early Doc Ford series - by the time Tampa Burn came out, I was getting tired of it and quit after Dead of Night

I'm with you on that one. The Randy Wayne White books were awesome, then quickly morphed from "thoughtful, bespectacled intellectual forced into action" to "action freak devoid of an intellect." From treasure to trash. Best treasure, IMO, "The Man Who Invented Florida."

Jim

If your hubby likes trade journals, he probably would tend to read nonfiction. I know I read about 15 nonfictions to one fiction. Some of my last reads were: Escape from Camp 14, true story of a North Korean born in a prison camp, literally bred as a slave. Empire of the Summer Moon, account of the Indian wars involving the Comache and Quanto Parker. Unbroken, a World War II story of survival and Louie Zamborini. Unorthodox, story of a girls apostasy from her Hasidic family. Nomad, story of a girls apostasy from her Muslim family. Collapse, How Societies Choose to Fail of Succeed. If you get him an e-reader you can usually download a sample at no cost to see if one likes it.

Archived