Collapsible Cooler

Prof Peg

I have been reading about what items people take on board and the collapsible cooler is very popular. But that brought up a thought and a question. On our last cruise, our kids bought a cooler with Corona in it from the Bon Voyage Dept. as a gift for us. The steward put ice in it to keep our drinks cold - when we came back that evening, the ice had melted all over the table top and was dripping on the floor. We put a towel under it each day with same results, a soggy towel. DH didn't want to complain, but I asked the Maitre d' about who to check with about that. We were told to bring the cooler down and we would get a new one; and we did. By then it was almost time to unfortunately go home, so we left the new one in the package. When we got home---guess what???? Yup, it leaks too!!

I know, I know - y'all are in tears for us, but on to my question. Are the collapsible coolers that you buy outside (like Target, WalMart, etc.) supposed to be "water tight?" If we bought one of those, would they leak too?

Ive heard of more than one person who put it in the shower for just this reason. They arent the best.. but since you cant bring any other kind ...(at least not big enough to use)

PS Personally my PVP said why dont people use just one of the two metal trash cans for ice?? I guess they are worried if its been cleaned properly? Just dont use the ice .. just use it to cool down items?

i've had several. and in the beginning they've all been stellar. eventually, in my experience, they will leak too! eventually though is a few months / years later, but even my best little coolers have for the most part, eventually leaked. i'd be suspect of a little cooler that leaked the first day, twice!, but it is what it is.

I hadn't really thought about that. I just purchased one which has a plastic bucket liner inside which is removable. Maybe that is to prevent leaking. I always set ours in the shower anyway but will go home tonight and check the leaking situation.

I used one of these coolers last weekend for a car trip. When we got back I put it on the kitchen floor.

Needless to say the next morning the dog got an earful when I saw a puddle of water on the floor. The ice was in zip lock bags mind you! After yelling at the poor dog I got a txt from my daughter telling me the water was from the cooler.

My guess is that they all leak.

Thank you all - I think you are absolutely right:

1 - Wouldn't do any good to return this one; they all leak

2 - A plastic liner would work well

3 - Even a plastic bag for the ice

4 - Store it in the shower? - Maybe, but I'd rather have it out and up on something but I do see the logic to that.

Again thank you.

i've had several. and in the beginning they've all been stellar. eventually, in my experience, they will leak too! eventually though is a few months / years later, but even my best little coolers have for the most part, eventually leaked. i'd be suspect of a little cooler that leaked the first day, twice!, but it is what it is.

Were those from carnival for platinum gift? I got 2 and they didn't leak. Now I'm using one and it leaks every night! No holes or anything. I don't get it.

I had a bigger one and it always leaked so I put it in the shower. Steward always kept it full. I'll probably use it again since the carnival one is 1/2 the size and now it's leaking too!

Thank you all - I think you are absolutely right:

1 - Wouldn't do any good to return this one; they all leak

2 - A plastic liner would work well

3 - Even a plastic bag for the ice

Mine is lined with plastic. It's the condensation.

4 - Store it in the shower? - Maybe, but I'd rather have it out and up on something but I do see the logic to that.

Whatever you put it on will be soaked. Carpet doesn't dry quickly either. On the counter all the papers will be soaked.

Again thank you.

Gotta put it in the shower!

I've never been on a CC before, but I was just thinking, wouldn't it be easier to just keep your drinks in the fridge? Do not all the rooms and or ships have fridges? Is there a separate ice bucket in the room? I assumed people used the coolers for carrying drinks other places (like the pool deck). Do the coolers come in handy for something else?

Sorry to hijack the post. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something. ;) I would be bummed with a leaky cooler, too. :(

I've never been on a CC before, but I was just thinking, wouldn't it be easier to just keep your drinks in the fridge? Do not all the rooms and or ships have fridges? Is there a separate ice bucket in the room? I assumed people used the coolers for carrying drinks other places (like the pool deck). Do the coolers come in handy for something else?

Sorry to hijack the post. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something. ;) I would be bummed with a leaky cooler, too. :(

Would have kept them in refrigerator, but that was full of chocolate covered strawberries :D

Our next cruise is on Fantasy with OV and no refrigerator.

To the Platinum question above, no it was just the Corona and cooler package that came from Boy Voyage. They've got a 30 day refund policy, so I think I'll just bring either plastic bags or new cooler.

Many of the coolers have stitched seams in the plastic liner. They hold water for a while but after being handled, the stitching no longer holds. Look for one with a welded seam. They should last longer. I have a California Innovations (I think it's called). It's round, collapses flat, and holds plenty. Never leaks but it can collect quite a bit of condensation as mentioned above.

As far as using the fridge, it's cool at best. And the Carnival provided ice bucket would last about 30 minutes.

We have those from Carnival as well and use one every trip. The solution we use is to carry a couple of trashbags from home,(Kitchen Size and then fold it over the top of the cooler and fill with ice. Never leaks this way and the unused bags can be utilized for wet bathing suits, etc.

Archived