Tipping Frequency

kderr1

I have read all the threads concerning tipping yet I still am not clear on one thing. Most mention the standard for a Butler, Concierge and Room Steward and the appropriate amount to leave at the end the cruise. My question is......is it appropriate to tip the Butler, Room Steward, Concierge every day instead of one lump sum at the end of the cruise? The idea being you are tipping for the good or exceptional service provided that day, and maybe it would be an incentive to provide the same level or above and beyond service by the crew the following days to improve upon the tip. :confused:

IMO, however you want to do it is appropriate.

I've read posts from people who tip the butler and steward half up-front on day one (to provide that "incentive" you mentioned) with the remaining half at the end.

Our one experience in a suite (so far :D), we tipped all at the end. We had great service from everyone anyway, but I think next time (October -- yaaay!) I will try tipping a little along.

Traditionally, it's easier to tip in one lump at the end of the cruise.

However, I have read about people dropping a 20 to the room steward on the first day and getting exceptional service for the rest of the vacation!

Bottom line is, it's up to you, but I would think tipping as you go along would be a pain and, if you don't give enough each time, could end up with poorer service.

I'm confused... I thought you didn't have to worry about tipping as long as you pay the $12/day service charge. :confused:

Service Charges: We are confident that you will enjoy your Freestyle Cruising experience and that our entire crew will provide you with the standard of service for which we are known. A $ 12.00 discretionary service charge will be automatically added per guest per day (for guests three years and older) to your shipboard account for all staterooms. This charge will be shared among those staff members, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind-the-scenes staff who provide services that enhance your overall cruise experience. If you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please let our Guest Services Desk staff know right away so we can address any issues in a timely manner.

I'm confused... I thought you didn't have to worry about tipping as long as you pay the $12/day service charge. :confused:

You are correct, unless you wish to tip above the DSC for the services that you highlighted. The butler, consierge and kid's club are not included in the DSC and it is customary to tip them separate.

The service charge doesn't cover a suite butler and concierge-- they need to be tipped extra. Similarly, many suite passengers feel that since their steward has more to do (suites are lots bigger than regular cabins), those stewards should also be tipped additionally, even though they do benefit from the service charge.

The service charge doesn't cover a suite butler and concierge-- they need to be tipped extra. Similarly, many suite passengers feel that since their steward has more to do (suites are lots bigger than regular cabins), those stewards should also be tipped additionally, even though they do benefit from the service charge.

Ah, okay. Well, I'm not a suite, so not gonna worry about that!

I've always had success tipping as I go but had a small bump in the road this past cruise.

We gave our concierge $40 on day one when we asked for a few complicated dinner reservations. Then another $20 mid-week for a few other small accommodations. On the last two days, our dinner reservations (made through our concierge) were "lost" and we had to push the host to seat us (no easy task since one reservation was for a group of 13 during prime dinner time).

No trouble, though, because in this instance tipping in advance becomes tipping at the end since we simply waived to the concierge on the way off the ship with no additional tip.

We tipped our Butler and Steward as the week went on and at the end. They were very attentive and appreciated the tips.

I only tip at the end, if I feel it's deserved.

I always add 1 Dollar to my drinks bills whether I'm buying 1 drink or 4 drinks, again, if the service merits a tip.

I'm of the opinion that people get paid to do a job and tips are for exceptional service. I've worked in many jobs where tips boosted my income, and therefore know the situation regarding service and tipping.

I am doing a Western Med cruise, should I be tipping US$ or Euros?

You can do either - the crew will also visit the ports when they are free for a day so they can use euros as well. The currency onboard is always USD.

Thanks to all for replying to my post. I think two replies have me now thinking it would be better to tip all at the end. They stated essentially (not exactly quoting) that once you begin tipping everyday you may create a tip monster.

Thanks to all for replying to my post. I think two replies have me now thinking it would be better to tip all at the end. They stated essentially (not exactly quoting) that once you begin tipping everyday you may create a tip monster.

I tip at the end. I don't want to feel I must buy good service....and I don't think you do. I have never had less than really good...or excellent service from any of the wonderful NCL employees. Yes...on rare occasion, one of them might be having an off day...but so rare. I've never felt that any NCL employee was only doing something because they expected a tip. So, I wait and tip at the end of the cruise and thank the person/s for their great help. Oh....I do tip a dollar a round to servers bringing drinks....and usually a few dollars at any of the sit down restaurants....just because I like to.

I gave both the butler and cabin steward a small tip ($20 each) on day one of our cruise. I was very unhappy with my butler but my cabin steward was awsome. I think the service would have been the same had I just tipped all at the end. By the way, I found the service on the Star to be above expectations overall. In the last 2 weeks since my cruise I find myself very impatient with service people at home because I was so spoiled on the Star!

Archived