Livorno to pisa to san gimignano

anniversay/grad trip

Our ship (NCL EPIC) is in port from 7am - 7pm and our plan is to rent a car (already booked and being dropped off at the dock at 8am) and drive to Pisa (hoping to get there between 9-9:30. DH and I have been there before but my DS and their husbands have not, so after the touristy leaning tower pics, we will head to San Gimignano (hopefully by 10:30am)...How would you think we would have in San Gimignano? and what time should we head back to the ship? We would like to have a leisurely lunch, as well (any suggestions of a spot would be helpful)

If you are on the road by 8:15 you should be at the Piazza dei Miracoli by 9 AM. Be sure to approach (and leave) the piazza from the northwest side in order to avoid the ZTL zone (maps of zone here: https://secure.comune.pisa.it/tzi/index.jsp).

The Pisa to San Gimignano leg should take about two hours; assuming you are on the road by 10:30 AM you will be there in plenty of time for lunch. I can't recommend a restaurant but hopefully others will (Hank and his wife have spent much more time in the area than I have, I'm sure he'll have some ideas for you).

Here is where you can find the parking information on the town's web site. Unfortunately this page isn't in the English language section but you can use a translator like google to understand it: http://www.comune.sangimignano.si.it/guida-ai-servizi/trasporto-e-mobilita/parcheggi-auto/parcheggi-auto-a-pagamento

I'd also allow two hours for the return drive from San Gimignano; allowing some pad that would mean being on the road by about 3 - 4 PM.

Agree with Euro that 2 hours is the minimum to allow for a reasonable safety margin. With that much time you can also enjoy some of the back roads and avoid the much uglier main road. Also heed Euro's warning about the ZTL in Pisa which is located near the Field of Miracles (Tower). For those not familiar with ZTLs...they are Italy's way of trying to balance their fiscal budget on the backs of naive tourists. When you drive into a ZTL you get no warnings or any indication that you have done something wrong. Then a few months later you will find a nasty fine added to your credit card (the one you used when you rented your car) which can exceed 100 Euros. In addition, your friendly rental car company will usually add another fee (often about 20 Euros) for "processing" the traffic fine.

There are small street signs that delineate the ZTLs (unless somebody stole the sign) but they can be easy to miss when you are trying to find your way or a parking spot.

Hank

For those not familiar with ZTLs...they are Italy's way of trying to balance their fiscal budget on the backs of naive tourists.

Whoa Hank, darlin', come on back from the dark side! :)

The ZTLs, now more common across Europe, are an attempt to reduce traffic congestion in old downtown areas that never contemplated cars in their design as well as to reduce exhaust fumes that are hastening the decline of ancient buildings.

Thank you for the replies....2 hours is a lot of travelling time! Can anyone recommend another town (other than Lucca as we have been there) that is quaint and offers the Tuscan views we are seeking? We would also be interested in a wine tour if time permits...

understand you are driving yourselves but a couple of years ago we did a private tour that took in Pisa Siena and San Gimigiano as well as a visit to a wine tasting

gave a good contrast of Livorno countryside

Whoa Hank, darlin', come on back from the dark side! :)

The ZTLs, now more common across Europe, are an attempt to reduce traffic congestion in old downtown areas that never contemplated cars in their design as well as to reduce exhaust fumes that are hastening the decline of ancient buildings.

LOL Euro. Yeah, the dark side would be correct but for those that designed these driver traps. While we agree that they make sense in certain parts of major cities (like the center of Florence) they have expanded them to places where they serve little purpose other then to entrap tourists unfamiliar with the area. So you can whip me for being somewhat cynical, but they sure have taken on the appearance of a revenue enhancer. In Italy they have also discovered the financial benefits of speed cameras which have added significantly to my driving times :(

By the way, when they implemented the ZTL in Pisa there was an uninteded consequence. Some locals had been making extra money by charging to park in their driveways or yards...but since most of them are now in the ZTL they lost that revenue.

Hank

Our ship (NCL EPIC) is in port from 7am - 7pm and our plan is to rent a car (already booked and being dropped off at the dock at 8am) and drive to Pisa (hoping to get there between 9-9:30. DH and I have been there before but my DS and their husbands have not, so after the touristy leaning tower pics, we will head to San Gimignano (hopefully by 10:30am)...How would you think we would have in San Gimignano? and what time should we head back to the ship? We would like to have a leisurely lunch, as well (any suggestions of a spot would be helpful)

I've been doing some research on a similar DIY trip in Oct. and according to Google Maps the driving time is about 90min. to San Gimignano from Pisa or Livorno. I suspect that Euro and Hank are probably bang-on in allowing for 2hrs.

Be sure to approach (and leave) the piazza from the northwest side in order to avoid the ZTL zone (maps of zone here: https://secure.comune.pisa.it/tzi/index.jsp).

Thanks for that. I've identified a couple of parking lots on Google Maps with the biggest being on Via Carlo Salomone Cammeo. It looks like the best route into Pisa is via SS1 to SS12 and then right at the turning circle onto Via Carlo Salomone Cammeo.

Here's a link to my map.

Thanks so much...we have rented a car, that is being dropped off at the pier and it comes with a GPS...my only concern is that I have asked them to pre-program it for Livorno to Pisa and then Pisa to San Gimignano via the most scenic route going. The hwy is fine coming back, but we wan to see the countryside. On our last trip through this region we took all hiways because we were concerned about getting back to the ship on time. Although the region is beautiful, I felt like we missed out on the "real" Tuscany spending so much of our time on the hiway. Still looking for a recommended place for lunch? Also some must sees in and around San Gimignano from those that know????

I've identified a couple of parking lots on Google Maps with the biggest being on Via Carlo Salomone Cammeo.
I think I know the lot you mean, it's near the corner of Via Vecchia Barbaricina. That's as close as you're going to get.

If for some reason that lot is full, there's another huge lot further north on the same street. on the other side of the SS12. It's where they make the excursion buses park and there are shuttles to the Piazza dei Miracoli if you don't want to walk (it's less than a mile).

I think I know the lot you mean, it's near the corner of Via Vecchia Barbaricina. That's as close as you're going to get.

If for some reason that lot is full, there's another huge lot further north on the same street. on the other side of the SS12. It's where they make the excursion buses park and there are shuttles to the Piazza dei Miracoli if you don't want to walk (it's less than a mile).

Yeah, I see, thanks!

Archived