Panama Canal Dome Car Tour

pete_coach

Has anyone done the Panama Canal Railroad Journey by Dome Car & Bus (CO23)? We are taking the 11 day Equinox cruise and thought this would be a nice way of seeing the Canal. it seems to be a train ride to Panama City (Balboa) and a bus ride back to Colon.

My question is, do you get any time in Panama City at all. It is not clear in the description. I would like to see both Colon and Panama City.

Thanks

Hi Pete, I saw your question over on the Panama Canal board, I copied it over to here...........

I have not been on this tour as offered by Celebrity, from what I know the tour operates pretty much same regardless of which cruise line is using them. As you said it is a train ride to the Pacific side and then a bus back to the Atlantic side, they can run this tour in reverse order as well...in other words, bus over to the Pacific side and train back. You will get to see Panama City but you won't really go into it. In the description they refer to going out to Ft. Amador will give a spectacular view of the city, very impressive, but you won't get to see the city up close. While not trying to dissuade you from the railroad trip the Panama City tour CO52 would let you see more of Panama City.

Now as to Colon.... I think you will see enough of Colon from the bus riding to and from your tour. Poor Colon hit rock bottom a number of years ago and they have continued to dig. If you want a little teaser as to what Colon looks like, watch the recent James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace, a good portion of the scenes that were supposed to be Port Au Prince were actually filmed on location in Colon. Not a ringing endorsement when your city is the stand in for Port Au Prince.

Last spring while on the Infinity we did an excursion which may be identical to the one you are considering, with the exception that the domed rail cars were booked so we were in a regular car.

We were transported to the Panana Rail station in Colon. From there we went by rail to the stop near Balboa (also near Colozal and Diablo). There we were on buses through Balboa and the historic canal zone to Amador. We had free time in Amador before taking a highway back to the ship. Amador is across the bay from the Old Panama City, with the newer part of Panama City being a little farther beyond. My husband spent several years of his childhood in the canal zone, and this was perfect for us since he used to ride his bike out along the causeway to Amador and explore the old bunkers. We also are somewhat railway museum junkies, so enjoyed the rolling stock immensely.

Colon is very rough. Most visitors would not feel safe leaving the immediate vicinity of the cruise ship terminal.

Did Panama on Equinox 09 we did the boat trip through the canal. You take a bus with a guide about half way on canal. The road parallel's the railroad track and the canal and the guide was very helpful in pointing out things along the road. We then transferred to a boat and went down canal through the locks all the way to Pacific side.There was water soda and food on boat was quite the experience going through the locks and watching the very large ships looming above while in the locks. We had a great time. Buses picked us up on Pacific side and took us back to ship. We had a great time.

Did Panama on Equinox 09 we did the boat trip through the canal. You take a bus with a guide about half way on canal. The road parallel's the railroad track and the canal and the guide was very helpful in pointing out things along the road. We then transferred to a boat and went down canal through the locks all the way to Pacific side.There was water soda and food on boat was quite the experience going through the locks and watching the very large ships looming above while in the locks. We had a great time. Buses picked us up on Pacific side and took us back to ship. We had a great time.

We did this same trip in February 2011. It was quite an experience going through the canal on a boat. If you do this, be sure to bring sunscreen, and a sun hat. There is inside seating, but you are there to see the Canal, so you probably want to be outside!

We did the "Dome Car" excursion with Celebrity in February 2010. The dome car was not worth the extra money. It was very cramped and our guide thought he was entertaining but was just plain annoying. That being said the ride along the canal in the train was interesting but I would go for the standard train cars. As stated above Colon is nothing to see and you do not go into Panama City but view the skyline from a distance and stop for shopping and a snack break.. We also drove through the former US Military base near Colon and to the Miraflores Locks. There was a video presentation at the locks and then we had time to watch a huge container ship transit the locks. That was the highlight of the trip.

We did the "Dome Car" excursion with Celebrity in February 2010. The dome car was not worth the extra money. It was very cramped and our guide thought he was entertaining but was just plain annoying.

Did you check the seat arrangements in regular coaches? I would want to be sure they are not just as cramped before making a decision. If, in fact, they are more spacious I will take your suggestion. P.S. I think guides are just "luck of the draw". Thanks.

Thanks for all the info folks.

I guess I am in a bit of a dilemma. We have never been on a Caribbean cruise nor have we been to the Caribbean before so for us, it is mostly a sightseeing cruise.

If Colon is not worth it, what about Panama City? Is it worth taking a tour to Panama City and do a walkabout there? I am surmising that the bus ride to Panama city will take a route similar to the train and we will see the same thing along the way?

The route the train takes is much different than the road across the Isthmus. However if you take any tours that involve going to the Pacific side (for example Panama City, Miraflores Locks etc.) your trip will be over and back on largely the same route. If you did decide on the train you see some countryside from two differing points of view, the train being very natural with minimal civilization. Although you do not actually get into Panama City proper, but you'll see the skyline getting a flavor of it.

From reading the tour descriptions I really am not all that sure what they are going to do for you on the Panama City tour. Hopefully it would include at least seeing the ruins of Old Panama and a stop in the Casco Viejo. On the tour we were on there was not a great deal of time doing any walkabout on your own, we did walk through a portion of the Casco Viejo, Las Bovedas and the French Plaza. Of course you will see a lot modern Panama City as you are transported between the various points of interest.

Truthfully there is no one "best" thing, almost any tour can be the best as long as it has something of interest to you. As far as the tour CO26 (Panama Canal Tour) goes, IMO that is a great tour since it gives you an excellent sampling of what the Canal is all about. The Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut offer lots of visual interest. You will also get a great sneak peak at some of the work going for the Canal expansion, I'm sure seeing that work will give you some appreciation what went on during the construction of the Canal. The bus trip across the Isthmus will let you see some of the Panamanian countryside as well.

Besides, if you see another tour or activity that strikes your fancy.... what an excellent excuse to plan another cruise!!

Did you check the seat arrangements in regular coaches? I would want to be sure they are not just as cramped before making a decision. If, in fact, they are more spacious I will take your suggestion. P.S. I think guides are just "luck of the draw". Thanks.

The dome car seats were basically wooden benches on a platform with a table between the benches like a cramped restaurant booth. You could not get up and walk around to stretch or view the other side of the tracks.

I would definitely do the canal tour rather than one that concentrates on Panama City. The canal is unique in all the world and a must see. You can see the countryside, new construction and the locks. The bus on the return trip does not ride along the canal but gives a view of the isthmus.

Once again, a ride through Colon on the bus or a quick trip to the shops on the dock is all you likely want to do.

Is the train booked through the cruise or can it be done independently? If so, is there any savings?

The train is usually booked through the cruise company. I don't know if it can be booked independently. Our car was entirely from the Equinox.

I would do the train but am not at all certain that the dome car is worth the extra money.

Is the train booked through the cruise or can it be done independently? If so, is there any savings?

The railroad offers passenger service only Monday through Friday. One trip from Panama to Colon at 7:15 and the return at 5:15. Those times would not work for most cruise passengers. They put together special trains when cruise ships are in port, so you pretty much have to buy the trip from the cruise line. Just for info, the regular fare on the service mentioned above is $25 one way.

• 1 year later...
While not trying to dissuade you from the railroad trip the Panama City tour CO52 would let you see more of Panama City.

Have you actually done this tour yourself? I am interested in seeing Panama City. I was originally planning to do a private tour, but after reading about all the traffic nightmares, I am a little concerned with missing the ship.

I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with this tour.

Jan

nice to be in the dome car as it has air conditioning.

nice ride but not sure I would do it again. once is enough you do see some

of the sights of the area. if you like trains then yes you will enjoy this.

The route the train takes is much different than the road across the Isthmus. However if you take any tours that involve going to the Pacific side (for example Panama City, Miraflores Locks etc.) your trip will be over and back on largely the same route. If you did decide on the train you see some countryside from two differing points of view, the train being very natural with minimal civilization. Although you do not actually get into Panama City proper, but you'll see the skyline getting a flavor of it.

From reading the tour descriptions I really am not all that sure what they are going to do for you on the Panama City tour. Hopefully it would include at least seeing the ruins of Old Panama and a stop in the Casco Viejo. On the tour we were on there was not a great deal of time doing any walkabout on your own, we did walk through a portion of the Casco Viejo, Las Bovedas and the French Plaza. Of course you will see a lot modern Panama City as you are transported between the various points of interest.

Hi, we have friends taking a HAL partial transit in October. They are trying to decide on a tour. They will be there on November 3rd. I'm thinking they might not want to do a city tour that day assuming lots of traffic, etc. Told them the Embera village could be a better option. What do you think Bill? We left in 89 so not sure how much has changed re Panama's Independence Day and whether or not it will interfere with any of the tours. Thanks.