Best Cruise Parking in Galveston

jmss1950

This is the response I finally got from them:

Hi,

That actually isn't a mistake, though it shouldn't say we are sold out.  We aren't planning to park for the Disney Magic after November.  Winter is actually our busiest time, with 5 ships in this year and the Disney Magic's schedule makes it difficult to coordinate parking spaces with the other cruises we service.  We will continue to park for the Carnival Magic and Triumph and the Royal Caribbean Mariner, but right now have no further plans to park for Disney. 

I let them know that the wholesale turning away of business instead of accepting reservations first-come-first-served was pretty much the singular most ignorant business model I have ever heard of, but that at least they have a lot of competition happy to take Disney Cruise customers. :rolleyes:

-gina-

WOW:eek:

I guess the old saying has substance:

WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE BUSINESS TO ANYONE!

No shirt, no shoes, no pets, no double dipping and no Disney???

You are right

pretty much the singular most ignorant business model

I have ever heard of also! :confused:

This is too arbitrary no logic,

unless there is a contractual, economic, personal or political reason behind it????

I mentioned they are a small lot in number spaces

and business wise for some reason in their wisdom

are they saying they can't handle it!

Do they only handle park and walk over business?

Or do they deliver passengers in transfer buses

and be subject to port entry fees?

I guess the old saying has substance:

WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE BUSINESS TO ANYONE!

No shirt, no shoes, no pets, no double dipping and no Disney???

You are right

pretty much the singular most ignorant business model

I have ever heard of also! :confused:

This is too arbitrary no logic,

unless there is a contractual, economic, personal or political reason behind it????

I mentioned they are a small lot in number spaces

and business wise for some reason in their wisdom

are they saying they can't handle it!

Do they only handle park and walk over business?

Or do they deliver passengers in transfer buses

and be subject to port entry fees?

Don't leave out Princess. It certainly does not leave a good impression of Galveston. If I'm Princess or Disney I would be seriously questioning being in a port where vendors explictly will only do business with Carnival and RCCL :mad:

Don't leave out Princess. It certainly does not leave a good impression of Galveston. If I'm Princess or Disney I would be seriously questioning being in a port where vendors explictly will only do business with Carnival and RCCL :mad:

It is called free enterprise and has nothing to do with the City.

There is lots of available parking in the same area.

It is called free enterprise and has nothing to do with the City.

There is lots of available parking in the same area.

Free enterprise, I agree. I also agree there are alternatives for parking. My point is that when a port-based business finds 5 ships to be too many and therefore doesn't do business with two premier cruise lines, that is a black eye for the city of Galveston and harms their tourism industry.

One small lot gives the city a black eye and effects tourism:confused:

I don't think so when there is so much competition plus the Port lots which are intent on expanding.

The City of Galveston has much to offer without worrying about a small business that makes its own decisions that really don't have an impact on anyone.

One small lot gives the city a black eye and effects tourism:confused:

I don't think so when there is so much competition plus the Port lots which are intent on expanding.

The City of Galveston has much to offer without worrying about a small business that makes its own decisions that really don't have an impact on anyone.

They certainly have a huge impact on the people whose reservations they cancel. My original post said BEWARE and I stand by that. Our first experience in Galveston was a horrible, seriously understaffed (customs), 2 1/2 hour nightmare disembarkation. We certainly have a choice of many different ports. Galveston and the port businesses either make traveling pleasant and convenient or business will go elsewhere. The jury is still out.

Customs & Immigration can be a real PITA! We have been delayed in Florida several times, once up to to 5 hours.

Unfortunately the U.S. Government operates that way.

ICE officials cannot drive to Galveston in their own vehicles, but our required to meet in Houston and ride together. If one or several don't show, the impact is felt here.

We self dismebark and are home within 30 minutes after the ship is released.

They may be close to capacity from just the Carnival and Royal Caribbean business. By eliminating the Disney/Princess business, they can avoid staffing the lot on most Saturdays (except when the Carnival Triumph is in town).

Good observation for economic considerations.

Going back to the OP's original question, Lighthouse Parking has gotten my business my last three cruises. They will take you, your children, and luggage on a big bus over to the terminal. They have always been extremely helpful and polite, and FAST. They do drop you off at the far end of the terminal, so it is a little bit of a walk to enter the terminal. The porters will be waiting to take the luggage from you, along with a gratuity :D. The best thing about them is when they have taken me back to my car, after the cruise, they have literally dropped me off 30 feet from my car. The car is under a car port, so it is somewhat shielded from the elements. They are an excellent locally owned company who I have recommended to many friends that have cruised out of Galveston. They all give this business a thumbs up.

We reserved (and paid in full on July 28th) a covered spot with Galveston Park N Cruise for our Crown Princess trip on January 5th. Today, September 6th, we received an e-mail canceling and refunding our reservation. :mad: They said they are not providing parking for Princess passengers!!:mad: What ever happened to first-come-first-served!! We're now scrambling since so many options are already full. :mad: This is outrageous and no way to run a business - I say stay away :mad:

Deedee

p.s. This would have been our third time using this parking service.

We used Park N Cruise on our last cruise and really did like the convenience of them. We planned to use them again for our Princess cruise in April. However, after reading about your situation, I have made a reservation with Boi Valet. They are right on the corner by Park N Cruise from what I can tell. The only difference is they park your car for you and they also have insurance. I have read some good reviews. I just hope they don't decide to not park Princess cruisers.

We used Park N Cruise on our last cruise and really did like the convenience of them. We planned to use them again for our Princess cruise in April. However, after reading about your situation, I have made a reservation with Boi Valet. They are right on the corner by Park N Cruise from what I can tell. The only difference is they park your car for you and they also have insurance. I have read some good reviews. I just hope they don't decide to not park Princess cruisers.

We ended up with BOI also. I hope we're as happy as we had been with Park N Cruise.

Carol, I'm curious about your signature CANCELLED FROM 4/27/13 CROWN PRINCESS CRUISE BY PRINCESS CRUISELINES!!! What happened?

We ended up with BOI also. I hope we're as happy as we had been with Park N Cruise.

Carol, I'm curious about your signature CANCELLED FROM 4/27/13 CROWN PRINCESS CRUISE BY PRINCESS CRUISELINES!!! What happened?

I hope we will like them also. It was so nice just to walk across the street and get your car. Someone did say that if you call when you are going through customs they will have your car ready when you get there. They may tell us that when we get there. I don't know.

We are now booked on the 4/6/13 cruise but we had originally booked the 4/27/13 cruise. They decided to cancel the last 3 cruises out of Galveston. That left us with 4/6/13. We weren't happy because we like to avoid spring breakers but hopefully most of the spring breaks will be over by then. We didn't get any compensation or anything for it. Our TA was able to get them to charge us the same price but since the price was higher on that cruise she had to do a lot of convincing.

I hope we will like them also. It was so nice just to walk across the street and get your car. Someone did say that if you call when you are going through customs they will have your car ready when you get there. They may tell us that when we get there. I don't know.

We are now booked on the 4/6/13 cruise but we had originally booked the 4/27/13 cruise. They decided to cancel the last 3 cruises out of Galveston. That left us with 4/6/13. We weren't happy because we like to avoid spring breakers but hopefully most of the spring breaks will be over by then. We didn't get any compensation or anything for it. Our TA was able to get them to charge us the same price but since the price was higher on that cruise she had to do a lot of convincing.

Any idea why they canceled those cruises? I sure hope Princess continues to do business in Texas.

Any idea why they canceled those cruises? I sure hope Princess continues to do business in Texas.

What I heard was that they wanted to go ahead and go to Europe earlier. I don't think they will be leaving anytime soon. You can book 2014 cruises on them out of Galveston. It is the Caribbean Princess instead of the Crown.

• 2 months later...

I guess Princess was paying attention. I'm sure that many factors went in to their move to Houston for the '13-'14 season. But, having a parking company refuse to service Princess passengers didn't help. Park 'n Cruise might as well have put up a sign reading "Princess go away - we're to busy and can't handle the logistics when you're in port'.

I guess Princess was paying attention. I'm sure that many factors went in to their move to Houston for the '13-'14 season...

From The Daily News on Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:49 pm. Updated: 11:29 pm.

"... the Port of Houston’s decision to pay $6.7 million in incentives to lure Princess Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line to its long-idle Bayport Cruise Terminal..."

For the whole article, click here: http://www.galvestondailynews.com/blogs/laura_elders/article_4b9e2eb2-375b-11e2-864a-001a4bcf6878.html

Kat 50.gif

From The Daily News on Sunday' date=' November 25, 2012 5:49 pm. Updated: 11:29 pm.

"... the Port of Houston’s decision to pay $6.7 million in incentives to lure Princess Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line to its long-idle Bayport Cruise Terminal..."

For the whole article, click here: http://www.galvestondailynews.com/blogs/laura_elders/article_4b9e2eb2-375b-11e2-864a-001a4bcf6878.html

Kat 50.gif

I don't disagree about the "bribe"...but Disney is now leaving also. The Port of Galveston and City of Galveston need to step up (welcoming attitudes and top quality facillities) in their competition for the tourist $...or maybe they just don't really want all those ships...

... The Port of Galveston and City of Galveston need to step up (welcoming attitudes and top quality facillities) in their competition for the tourist $...or maybe they just don't really want all those ships...

Remember, both the Port and the City are still recovering from the damages caused when Ike flooded 75% of the island. Also, the City lost revenue with many businesses closing forever due to the damage they received and citizens moving off the island in droves due to the loss of their jobs or homes. I know folks in both those situations.

From the above mentioned article:

"... The Port of Galveston... is deep in debt — to the tune of about $55 million — largely from investing in cruise-ship terminals and accommodating specific requests from cruise lines...

... Often in recent years, any available cash the Galveston port obtains has gone to make emergency repairs to its aging docks...

... While it’s a utility of the city, it doesn’t receive a dime in taxes or any money from the city and in fact pays about $180,000 a year to the city in lieu of taxes...

... The cash-strapped Port of Galveston isn’t in the position to offer cash incentives, and had planned to borrow $12 million to meet demands of the 2013-14 winter season, when three cruise ships, including the Caribbean Princess, were to dock on the island on the same day..."

Now whether the Port is still planning on the $12 million loan or not, I do not know. It would be great if they could just win a big fat juicy Lottery! ;)

Kat 50.gif

Remember' date=' both the Port and the City are still recovering from the damages caused when Ike flooded 75% of the island. Also, the City lost revenue with many businesses closing forever due to the damage they received and citizens moving off the island in droves due to the loss of their jobs or homes. I know folks in both those situations.

From the above mentioned article:

[i']"... The Port of Galveston... is deep in debt — to the tune of about $55 million — largely from investing in cruise-ship terminals and accommodating specific requests from cruise lines...[/i]

... Often in recent years, any available cash the Galveston port obtains has gone to make emergency repairs to its aging docks...

... While it’s a utility of the city, it doesn’t receive a dime in taxes or any money from the city and in fact pays about $180,000 a year to the city in lieu of taxes...

... The cash-strapped Port of Galveston isn’t in the position to offer cash incentives, and had planned to borrow $12 million to meet demands of the 2013-14 winter season, when three cruise ships, including the Caribbean Princess, were to dock on the island on the same day..."

Now whether the Port is still planning on the $12 million loan or not, I do not know. It would be great if they could just win a big fat juicy Lottery! ;)

Kat 50.gif

It would be nice if we all could win the lottery then we could cruise all we wanted. LOL

I hope everything works out for Galveston because I love to port there. I just wish the cruise lines would come up with some different itineraries. They might just find out that their business would improve a lot. I know this is not the responsibility of the port but it sure would be nice.

It would be nice if we all could win the lottery then we could cruise all we wanted. LOL

I hope everything works out for Galveston because I love to port there. I just wish the cruise lines would come up with some different itineraries. They might just find out that their business would improve a lot. I know this is not the responsibility of the port but it sure would be nice.

Agreed! As they say..."show me the money". It's a catch 22 - what comes first: the ships, the facilities, or different itineraries that keep us all coming back.

Archived