ISO new luggage

bluewater723

Delta, delta, delta. This is why I don't normally use your line. I used my favorite luggage a business trip and is now covered in black grease stains. I guess I will need new luggage before our next cruise in February/March. (darn--I just hate shopping for new cruise things! ;) )

What's your favorite luggage lines? I don't want black. or blue. or Samsonite. or boring. BUT I also don't want luggage that looks like a teenage girl would carry. I also do not want to spend $1000 on it. And it needs to be quality.

I attached a picture of the last set. It doesn't show well in the picture but was a red herringbone tweed.

Lizzy.jpg.4630d72a19ded1934bf1815bb5770ba4.jpg

I'm interested in this as well (mostly carry on, though). I had a beautiful burnt orange suitcase with matching carry on. Several years ago, I took them to China and the suitcase was all but ruined. Not bad enough that they would replace it, but bad enough that I can't use it again (or would be too embarrassed).

The first flight it came out with black oily stains on it and a handle partially ripped off. The next flight it came out with thick grease stains. There were 2 international flights and 5 flights within China. By the time I got home half the zipper pulls were gone, the handle was missing and most of the front and sides were covered in black, oily stains. And a foot print.:mad: Curiously, the back is okay. {This was mostly on Air China.}

I'm very frugal. We are frequent cruisers and have a piece of luggage stained or torn almost every trip. I'm not concerned with impressing people with my luggage. i suggest Craigslist. I've gotten very nice, gently used luggage for $5 to $10 per piece. If it's stained or torn - no big deal!

I don't know about Craig's List for luggage. Don't get me wrong; I do love Craig's List for some things. Luggage is not one of those things.

I think of luggage as an important accessory when traveling. I don't want to have the same black suitcase that everyone else has. Nor do I want something too old or too young.

I found a great deal on a DVB set on Amazon. 4 piece set for $300! Normally I don't like things that have logos all over them but the deal is so good. I asked SO's opinion and he said "Uh-huh. yeah" :rolleyes: I like this one but I worry I'm getting blinded by the sale. LOL

Have you looked at Ebags? They have 185 "sets", but tons of singles in different sizes.

126195_4_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=180&wid=180&align=0,1

http://www.ebags.com/category/luggage/luggage-sets

The airlines are so hard on luggage! I can't justify buying Tumi or Briggs and Riley and then having to use them soiled and disgusting. I'd rather spend less and have the option of buying new when the old looks too tired.

I for one, would never buy used luggage. Bed bugs travel and I would be too creeped out! :(

Airlines place luggage face down to protect the wheels and pull handles. This is why there are so many stains left on the front of bags, there is dirt and grease on conveyor belts. A light colored piece looks pretty until after the first flight, it's about impossible to avoid marks and stains except on carry on pieces. Perhaps Scotchguarding it prior to use may help.

Our black Tumi pieces have gone on numerous flights/cruises and still looks brand new, so being black does help. I can tell our Tumi apart from other bags on the carousel or from a distance in a cruise port. I have a luggage handle cover on our 24" and I rarely see a garment bag like ours.

Tumi does have a fabric cleaner specifically made for luggage, I don't know what to compare it to. I've just always used Folex Carpet stain remover on our red pieces at home.

I have tried carpet cleaner and laundry stain remover. Neither worked-- It just kinda seemed to move the grease around. The herringbone seems to be a bit destroyed.

Neither of those cleaners are designed for removing grease. Water based cleaners do not remove grease. You should try something that is made for grease, such as dish soap or even wd40; putting greases on top of greases can help remove it.

Airlines place luggage face down to protect the wheels and pull handles. This is why there are so many stains left on the front of bags, there is dirt and grease on conveyor belts. A light colored piece looks pretty until after the first flight, it's about impossible to avoid marks and stains except on carry on pieces. Perhaps Scotchguarding it prior to use may help.

Our black Tumi pieces have gone on numerous flights/cruises and still looks brand new, so being black does help. I can tell our Tumi apart from other bags on the carousel or from a distance in a cruise port. I have a luggage handle cover on our 24" and I rarely see a garment bag like ours.

Tumi does have a fabric cleaner specifically made for luggage, I don't know what to compare it to. I've just always used Folex Carpet stain remover on our red pieces at home.

I have a set of Tumi gray and black trim. I use them for shorter trips. For our 2009 WC. I did not want to spend a lot of money on luggage so I bought four set of lightweight Delsey. We took eleven luggage, and came home with nine. Early this year WC we took nine luggage, and came home with seven. We are doing 120 days WC next year. I am not sure what to do :rolleyes:.

Happy Labor day :)

M

Got an email from ebags today 30%off and free shipping over $99.

Last suitcase we bought was a 1980's 26" Jordache brown tweed with the four puny wheels. Got is at Goodwill for $5. It's flown 3 round trip LAX-Rome and still looks great. Lightweight and easy to pack. No channels from handles. :p

This gets unpacked right away.

I am now a huge fan of rolling duffel bags.....I bought one before my last trip, and now I want another in a smaller size. LL Bean and Eagle Creek both have great reputations.

Those LL Bean ones are nice! I have a couple pieces from them that I like to use for camping. Not to mention I still have my backpack from high school and college. Super durable. :)

Look on the Samantha Brown thread there is another discussion about luggage in general.

Yeah, I saw that thread. I wasn't crazy about any of those designs.

Neither of those cleaners are designed for removing grease. Water based cleaners do not remove grease. You should try something that is made for grease, such as dish soap or even wd40; putting greases on top of greases can help remove it.

I've used WD-40 for grease stains before and it worked really well. I'm worried that the herringbone is just too destroyed to salvage, though. I guess it's worth a shot. I don't think this is the first good advice I've got from you on here. ;)

These days, I wouldn't buy used luggage on something like Craig's list. Luggage is many times how bed bugs are transported from hotel to hotel, across the country, and then into your home. I'd rather pay a little more for new luggage.

EXACTLY. Call Queen of paranoia but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read that. SO and our friend thought I had lost my mind last weekend when I flipped our hotel mattresses up before they could sit down. I'm not sleeping in bugs! LOL

Have you considered getting something basic and then embellishing it with fabric paint and stencils or something like that. I am going to do that with my latest suitcase if I have time so that it stands out from the others.

Awesome idea! Just what I need...another craft project. :D

Have you looked at Ebags? They have 185 "sets", but tons of singles in different sizes.

126195_4_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=180&wid=180&align=0,1

http://www.ebags.com/category/luggage/luggage-sets

The airlines are so hard on luggage! I can't justify buying Tumi or Briggs and Riley and then having to use them soiled and disgusting. I'd rather spend less and have the option of buying new when the old looks too tired.

I for one, would never buy used luggage. Bed bugs travel and I would be too creeped out! :(

I like that set! I'll look at that website for sure. Thanks for the URL!

I'm starting to think I will get the new luggage for regular travel and keep the stained one for airline travel. We don't fly much- so it wont be often. Plus, We still have SO's boring black set. LOL

I've used WD-40 for grease stains before and it worked really well. I'm worried that the herringbone is just too destroyed to salvage, though. I guess it's worth a shot. I don't think this is the first good advice I've got from you on here. ;)

If it's too damaged already then there's no harm in trying it. What's the worst that happens? You buy new luggage like you're already planning on doing? :) It might take a little bit of time but using something like a toothbrush to get into the fine detail could also help. Sometimes it's amazing what will remove a stain or mark... like when I learned that toothpaste will remove sharpy from a piece of wood furniture after a 3 year old has scribbled all over it extensively, lol.

Archived