Formal Nights - Australia/New Zealand

J.E.C

We will be flying into New Zealand for our cruise next year and wondered how well observed the formal night attire is on cruises where a lot of people will have flown to get there.

I know there are lots of other options, and we are in Blu anyway where we dont have to comply with formal dress code, but if most people make the effort I think it looks fab and I was wondering about hiring a Tux for DH.

Does anyone know how well observed they are and if so does anyone have any experience of hiring a Tux on board.

Many thanks

Virtually every cruise is a cruise where a lot of people have flown to the embarkation port so there are no differences in how well observed the formal nights are. Since you are in AQ and dine in BLU, every night is "smart casual and above" although you will see several people who are dressing formally there regardless of the dress codes, simply because they enjoy it and wish to make formal night a special occasion.

Tux rentals are an option, and the consensus of the posters on the boards are that the rental tuxes are fine.

I just decided to rent a tux from the ship for my husband. His suit is heavy and that will mean one thing less to pack. I'm just having some difficulty on the website with it right now. Thank goodness, the ship doesn't leave for a few months yet.

So, no suit coat, formal shirt, tie----------yea! More room for my clothes.

We have the same problem (and possibly for the same cruise Auk-Syd in March next year).

Normally I would have a penguin suit and a couple of other suits plus a jacket, my DW would have 4 evening dresses plus a normal wardrobe of finery. Our chosen airline allows us only 30kg each, which isn't as much as it sounds.

I'm going with just a dark linen suit. It will be creased by the time we get there, so I might have it laundered in the hotel. Maybe again on board if I turn out to be a messy eater. If the plan fails, we'll just eat in the cabin some nights and watch some DVD's.

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect we will hire him a tux.

Judy you will have to let me know when you have got the web site sussed.

Once we end up in Sydney we are touring round NSW and Victoria so have internal flights to contend with so really trying to keep to 23kg.

I have noticed that some cruise regions seem to be a little less formal, Alaska in particular is regularly commented on for that and i wondered if this was the same.

I will perhaps do a straw poll on the roll call to see what others are doing.

Thanks again

Julie

Archived