VEENDAM 8/26 to Bermuda. Photo revieiw of the FOOD & SHIP

cruisenanny

A few room service photos from throughout the week.

The turkey club was different but good.

HALbermuda319.jpg

The California chicken sandwich, ehh

HALbermuda318.jpg

The steak sandwich, was very good

HALbermuda264.jpg

A burger

HALbermuda263.jpg

Chocolate cake, it was ok, not a wow

HALbermuda262.jpg

Room service cookies, very good

HALbermuda261.jpg

Thanks Pampaul, I love seeing food pics in reviews too!

Did you find the ship uncomfortably warm in places on your sailing??

Yes. We got a fan for our room (619-deck 5) on day 2. The first night the AC seemed to work okay. But quite warm the next. They "claimed" they came to fix it but it never worked any better throughout the week.

But we did notice that the AC would be freezing in certain parts of the ship and VERY warm in other parts. I would say the ship was more warm than cool.

Ahhhhhhhhhh - you're making me hungry:):)

They are my pictures & they made me hungry too!

I jokingly asked my husband if he wanted MDR or room service tonight, lol

(as I was making our ramen & bagels for dinner, haven't gotten to the grocery store yet...:rolleyes:)

Your pictures are fabulous. Very detailed view of the cabin and the food had my mouth watering.

The no ice thing is curious.

THANK YOU!

Yes, I thought the ice debacle was so very odd, my mouth fell open when he told me they WOULD NOT give him any ice!!:eek::p

I loved the French toast for breakfast.... and loving your review!

Thanks!!

I thought the french toast was very good!! Do you think if I hang a card on my bedroom door tonight I might get some in the morning? :D

. . . what:eek: no horseradish for the prime rib??? Well, I would have been asking (I am a foodie too and frankly prime rib cannot be eaten without horse radish;)).

I was eating lunch in the Lido cafe one day; at carving station there was roast beef. The sign said roast beef & horseradish sauce. After getting the beef, I headed for a table but realized I had not been given or offered the horseradish sauce. Went back, looked around where the beef was, but didn't see it. When I asked him for sauce, he took about 4 or 5 steps to an area behind him and put some sauce in a bowl. More than I could possibly eat. That was a case of poor organization. Sauce should have been right next to the beef. It wasn't offered because the way it was set-up, it was very time consuming.

More photos of the Mixx area

Champagne Bar (was never opened that we saw)

HALbermuda243.jpg

Small Piano bar, off to the side of the Martini Bar

HALbermuda242.jpg

A cozy sitting nook, tucked behind the Piano bar & the Martini BarHALbermuda241.jpg

Martini Bar

HALbermuda240.jpg

Spirits & Ales Bar (no bar ledge or stools for sitting, walk-up only,

I thought that was odd for a "spirit & ale" bar)

HALbermuda238.jpg

We were in room 320 on deck #6 and had the same issues, we were given a fan as well but it was still hot till day 5 of the cruise and they got it working a little better.

Our food service was comparable to yours as well, the butter for lobster we all had to ask for it and it seemed like they were short staffed in the dining room or something because our service was not good at all. This was our first Holland America cruise and it didn't leave a good impression at all...

Love the pictures, what kind of camera were you using?

The 2nd Formal night, we went to the MDR

Escargot

HALbermuda297.jpg

Cream of mushroom soup

HALbermuda298.jpg

Surf & turf

HALbermuda300.jpg

A nice chicken dish with a dijon mustard sauce

HALbermuda299.jpg

Here are some photos from the Chocolate Extravaganza

Held in the atrium on decks 6, 7 & 8, at 10pm on the 2nd formal night

We knew we wanted to go so we skipped dessert in the MDR this night.

It looked lovely. After snapping some photos, we sampled 4 cakes....

Sorry to say they were not good. I wish I could say they were even ok..

I'm sure there had to be some yummy things there, just nothing that we tried.

Deck 8, the cakes that we sampled were from these two tables.

In this first pic, I sampled the cake with the large red sugar piece on top.

From the second pic I sampled the cake with the strawberries on it.

They looked sooooo delicious.

HALbermuda304.jpg

HALbermuda303.jpg

Yes. We got a fan for our room (619-deck 5) on day 2. The first night the AC seemed to work okay. But quite warm the next. They "claimed" they came to fix it but it never worked any better throughout the week.

But we did notice that the AC would be freezing in certain parts of the ship and VERY warm in other parts. I would say the ship was more warm than cool.

On night 4 or 5 I came in off of our balcony to find a female officer (I think, she was "official" looking staff of some sort) IN our cabin. She scared the CRAP out of me, said she was just there to do a random cabin inspection & had knocked but no one answered. I offered to go back on the balcony so she could "do her inspection" but she said no, that she would choose another cabin.

It was very weird but the point is, she asked me if everything was ok with the cabin before she left. So of course I told her we were very warm & that our cabin always felt damp!! She said "well, I see you have a fan, but I will have it looked into", and she left. No one ever came and nothing ever changed.

Absolutely the ship was more warm than cool. It was tough to find a cool oasis anywhere. Often where we sat or went on the ship was dictated by the temperature and this is just not how it should be.

I would be disappointed and upset to encounter this on a "VALUE" line (and we never have), let alone HAL.

Thank you for your review.

Love your pcitures.

We have long since stopped ordering Caeser salad on HAL ships -- it is prepared too far in advance an is warm and wilted. Even on our last couple of cruises we though we would get a good one in the Pinnacle made fresh -- didn't happen. Even though it was made table side -- it was already wilted.

We experienced the new system of drinks in the main dining room on our Maasdam cruise in February. Don't like it. We sat at table #78 and watched manhy times as the ice melted in our drinks. The waiters have way too much to do and don't need this extra chore of of handling drinks. And on our cruise the wine stewards stood around doing nothing as very few people ordered bottles of wine at the 5:45 dinner time.

Thank you for your review.

Love your pcitures.

We have long since stopped ordering Caeser salad on HAL ships -- it is prepared too far in advance an is warm and wilted. Even on our last couple of cruises we though we would get a good one in the Pinnacle made fresh -- didn't happen. Even though it was made table side -- it was already wilted.

We experienced the new system of drinks in the main dining room on our Maasdam cruise in February. Don't like it. We sat at table #78 and watched manhy times as the ice melted in our drinks. The waiters have way too much to do and don't need this extra chore of of handling drinks. And on our cruise the wine stewards stood around doing nothing as very few people ordered bottles of wine at the 5:45 dinner time.

you could get up and get them yourself, rather than sitting there and watching them melt. things like that get noticed and you probably would only have to do it once.

A few odds & ends pictures

I knew these guys existed, but it took 19 cruses for me to get one!!! LOL

HALbermuda301.jpg

fruit basket & fresh flowers in our cabin

HALbermuda265.jpg

I just thought this was a neat picture, it was the flowers on our MDR table

HALbermuda259.jpg

Views across the Hamilton harbor, taken from the retreat area

HALbermuda293.jpg

HALbermuda296.jpg

I hadn't planned to be awake for our sail back into NYC, but I was glad I couldn't sleep...

Here's a few photos I like of the city just waking up.

HALbermuda322.jpg

HALbermuda320.jpg

The magic was already docked.

HALbermuda324.jpg

HALbermuda330.jpg

HALbermuda328.jpg

Last but not least, the Star was coming in behind us.

HALbermuda329.jpg

AND THAT"S IT!

There are a few posts that I still want to respond to, but I will do it tomorrow.

Goodnight all, hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you!

On night 4 or 5 I came in off of our balcony to find a female officer (I think, she was "official" looking staff of some sort) IN our cabin. She scared the CRAP out of me, said she was just there to do a random cabin inspection & had knocked but no one answered. I offered to go back on the balcony so she could "do her inspection" but she said no, that she would choose another cabin.

It was very weird but the point is, she asked me if everything was ok with the cabin before she left. So of course I told her we were very warm & that our cabin always felt damp!! She said "well, I see you have a fan, but I will have it looked into", and she left. No one ever came and nothing ever changed.

Absolutely the ship was more warm than cool. It was tough to find a cool oasis anywhere. Often where we sat or went on the ship was dictated by the temperature and this is just not how it should be.

I would be disappointed and upset to encounter this on a "VALUE" line (and we never have), let alone HAL.

I find the incident with the "Officer" in your cabin very, very strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived