Eiffel Tower Dinner ~ 58 Tour Eiffel

Bet & Peg

In October 2012 we'll be in Paris (first time) for a 4 day pre-cruise trip. Naturally we're planning an Eiffel Tower visit prehaps around sunset - 6:55pm that time of year.

I've also been wondering about having dinner at the Tower in the "2nd restaurant" 58 Tour Eiffel.

Has anyone eaten there??

Food any good or is it cheesy and touristy?? (We're NYC foodies and I don't want a disappointed DH!)

If sunset is at 6:55pm and we have dinner reservations at 6:30pm will we see anything from the restaurant (I know they have window tables but...)??

Just looking for some thoughts & suggestions before "blowing" an evening in Paris - I'm now wishing we had booked a longer pre-cruise visit!!!

Thanks much!

The reason I would book a reservation is because you will be able to take the elevator up there without waiting in a long line. It would be totally worth it. Keep in mind that this restaurant is only on the first floor, which is only about 1/4 of the way up the Eiffel Tower. You will not be at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

The lines for the elevators and stairs were incredibly long when I was there in summer. They were a bit shorter at night but we stood in line to take the stairs for over an hour at night. Lines for the elevator were longer.

We took the stairs to the first floor where the restaurant is and the view is still very nice from there.

The Jules Verne restaurant is higher up on the second floor but again not at the tippy top of the Tower.

We are booked for 58 Bistro second seating on Oct 3. Trip Advisor reviews were largely positive and what an experience. We are doing the preferred seating w/wine and booked directly through the restaurant site. I thought the Jules Verne restaurant was too expensive IMHO for us.

In October 2012 we'll be in Paris (first time) for a 4 day pre-cruise trip. Naturally we're planning an Eiffel Tower visit prehaps around sunset - 6:55pm that time of year.

I've also been wondering about having dinner at the Tower in the "2nd restaurant" 58 Tour Eiffel.

Has anyone eaten there??

Food any good or is it cheesy and touristy?? (We're NYC foodies and I don't want a disappointed DH!)

If sunset is at 6:55pm and we have dinner reservations at 6:30pm will we see anything from the restaurant (I know they have window tables but...)??

Just looking for some thoughts & suggestions before "blowing" an evening in Paris - I'm now wishing we had booked a longer pre-cruise visit!!!

Thanks much!

We did 3.5 days pre-cruise in Paris. If you scroll down, I did a detailed review of everything we did. You can't do everything in four days. But you sure can do the basics.

Our tourist dinner was a Dinner Cruise along the Seine on Bateaux Mouches. We thought the food was pretty good and you also get a full bottle of champagne and a full bottle of wine with dinner. There are great views of the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty along the way.

If you want to skip the lines at the Eiffel Tower and get a great tour of it as well, go to the Cutlival site and sign up for their Behind the Scenes of the Eiffel Tower Tower. While it is around 20 euros per person, it does include "skip the lines". You also get a tour of the bunker as well as the inside of the tower and a view of all of the mechanics and an explanation of the history of the tower and its pivotal use with respect to radio communications.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise as to the restaurant there.

We had dinner at 58 Tour Eiffel this past July and we enjoyed it. The food was very good but not great but the place and its view was fantastique! We had a window table I think because we had booked the most expensive dinner. After dinner we made our way to the top of the tower. Make no mistake though the restuarants are still pretty high up. We passed on Jules Verne because we did not want to spend the day all dressed up to comply with their dress code.

------------------

Helen

Alli Cruiser ~ PLEASE let know about your experience, even if it is close!! Will be interested in hearing about it!! E-mail is my screen name at aol dot com.

hubofhockey ~ your itinerary looks very good and I appreciate your comment regarding Versailles - we're also planning on a half-day (maybe a little more) there. I thought about the Siene Dinner cruise (did it on the Thames in London and still talk about it - food so/so but evening sights fabulous!). Thanks for all your helpfull comments on your thread.

Keith ~ Jules Verne just looked like much too much $$ - was it food really worth it??? service??? Please tell me more!!!

Ms Understood ~ thanks for your comments on 58! Did you eat at 9pm? with wine? What time of year? My thinking for a 6:30pm reservation is that sunset is at 6:55pm so, if we get there a little early, we can see the city in day-light and then at dusk and also at night - trying to make the most of our time!! PLEASE tell me more about the food and service!

Thank you all again - much to think about! I want to book soon - as Rebecca said - I'm hoping not to be closed out - although if we are then that'll solve my dilemma!!!

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand - and I could be wrong - it depends on restaurant.

Le Jules Verne (expensive) is on the 2nd level and has a private elevator.

58 Tour Eiffel (less expensive) has a booth/stand/something (you must have restaurant reservations) that you go to to buy tickets for the regular elevator - and I guess you then skip the line - but I'm not sure!

We decided not to eat at the the tower - I was more for the "experience" that my DH. For better or worse we decided on a sunset experience - its at 6:55pm the evening we'll be there. So we have tickets for 5:30pm and hope to get to the top about 6/6:15pm, have a glass of champagne, then watch the sunset from the 2nd level, then head to the Trocadero area for dinner. DH's in charge of picking out the restaurant sooo......

Hope it all works out!!

Salwein,

We have reservations in October. My confirmation states, "we recommend you arrive 45 minutes before your reservation at the restaurant to purchase your lift ticket which gives priority access to the first floor."

So, it does appear to me that there is a charge. note this is for 58 Tour Eiffel, not Jules V.

• 5 months later...

I found this thread, doing research for my upcoming Paris trip. Has anyone eaten here recently?

Does anyone have a restaurant they enjoyed near the Eiffel Tower? The atmosphere is more important than the food for us, though we want to eat authentic French food.

Hello Got2Cruise ~ Wow I surprised to see this thread reactivated!!! And happy also!!!! Also gets me to remembering all the planning last year - fabulous! We had a GREAT trip and the planning was worth while - but I wander - sorry!!

As for 58 Tour Effel - I got a private email saying dinner was OK. At that price I was looking for more so we didn't make the reservations - and I was SO happy after our ET trip! First, let me say I'm SO happy we went. Second, the rain "dampened" the experience but also the crowds (we did have tickets and didn't have to wait outside but I think the rain kept more people inside for a longer time!) + the "mess" crowds always leave - empty water bottles, have-filled coffee cups, wrapers of all kinds, half eaten food, etc. + the consent flashing signs about pick-pockets!!

All in all we had a good time there but it was far from the romantic experience I had envisioned!!! (But I'd still go back, hopefully in 2014 when we should be in Paris again!!)

As for restaurants - the ET evening we had made reservations at a small place int he Trocadero area thinking we'd walk - but took a taxi because of the rain - Paul Chene - name of the chef & restaurant. Small restaurant, very expensive but a fabulous meal!!! A real experience - almost like eating in his dining room! (If you google Paul Chene you should be able to open the translated version).

The other great place we ate - but reservations are really required - was Bofingers near the Bastile monument. Completely different but also a great dinner. Bofinger - Traditional Brasserie in Paris, Bastille We had reservations and walked right in and were shown to our table - the line of hopefuls was very, very long!

October 2012 was our first trip to Paris but we fell in love with the city - like most people!! I'd be happy to answer any questions!! Enjoy your planning and trip!!

Got2Cruise ~ we live in Middle Village - where do you teach??

Paris suggestions ~ trip to Versailles was easy on the train - just get there very, very early!!! We actually enjoyed the gardens more than the house - went down by the canal - wasn't as crowded and had a nice crepe in the Flotilla restaurant.

We stayed in the Latin Quarter near the St. Michel metro and it was wonderful!

When are you going?

How long?

Where are you staying?

If you'd like to see my photos - Paris SlideShow (hope the link works!)

Paris suggestions ~ trip to Versailles was easy on the train - just get there very, very early!!! We actually enjoyed the gardens more than the house - went down by the canal - wasn't as crowded and had a nice crepe in the Flotilla restaurant.

When are you going?

How long?

Where are you staying?

enjoyed the beautiful slide show !!!

loved paris in 1989, 2001, and

going in 2016 w/ 17 & 12 yr old grandkids

Peg,

I'm going to Paris for 6 nights pre-cruise in early October. I've always rented apts and gone for at least a month, but for 6 nights a hotel seems easier.

I wanted to know where you stayed and your thoughts, as I am looking at hotels in the Latin Quarter.

Thanks,

Jen

When are you going?

How long?

Where are you staying?

Hi Jen ~

We stayed in the Latin Quarter at the St Severin Hotel, just around the corner from St. Michel metro stop. Our daughter & son-in-law had stayed there about 2 years ago and recommend it. We thought it was great! Had a small elevator (also stairs) and small but adequate lobby. Bk wasn't included and a bit pricy so we usually got cafe au late & a croissant elsewhere. There were plenty of restaurants - of all kinds and prices - around easily within walking distance! Plenty of stores also. Notre Dame was about a 10 minute walk. But with all of that, we were never disturbed by noise.

The metro stop we thought was great - the regular metro + RER - even going to Versailles was SO easy - no transfer!!

It was our first time in Paris but I would easily stay there next time - unless we decided on a completely new area to explore!

Thanks for the info Peg, checked out the hotel and looks in line with the others I'm considering. I'm very familar with the Latin Quarter and it's a perfect starting point for getting around. How was the WIFI, did it work in the rooms, are were there safes in the rooms? I would skip the hotel breakfast in Paris as well as there are so many places right outside your door.

I'm holding off on making the reservation, because I don't really want to lay out all the $$ so far in advance(almost 8 months) haven't even made final payment on my cruises yet.

My cruise actually leaves from Harwich, but I'm joining at it's first port Le Harve(an overnight stop). Thought I am very comfortable traveling around Paris, I've never done a train trip with luggage...that part should be interesting. I chose the Cruise I did in order to spend time in Paris first ;)

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen ~

We stayed in the Latin Quarter at the St Severin Hotel, just around the corner from St. Michel metro stop. Our daughter & son-in-law had stayed there about 2 years ago and recommend it. We thought it was great! Had a small elevator (also stairs) and small but adequate lobby. Bk wasn't included and a bit pricy so we usually got cafe au late & a croissant elsewhere. There were plenty of restaurants - of all kinds and prices - around easily within walking distance! Plenty of stores also. Notre Dame was about a 10 minute walk. But with all of that, we were never disturbed by noise.

The metro stop we thought was great - the regular metro + RER - even going to Versailles was SO easy - no transfer!!

It was our first time in Paris but I would easily stay there next time - unless we decided on a completely new area to explore!

WiFi was good and there was a safe. I think we made the reservation through Booking.com (have used them a lot in Europe and never had a problem!) and made one that could be canceled if necessary. [usually the cheapest is one that can't be canceled.]

Train travel in Europe is good - but luggage is a real pain!!! Last year we took the train from Venice to Munich - our choice we wanted to travel through the Alps. It was beautiful and the easy, once we dragged our luggage on board - we had been on a 12 day cruise + 4 days post-cruise in Istanbul so each had 2 checked and 2 carry-ons! Once on the bags sat outside our door within view and we stopped at only a few stations. Other 4 people were American & Canadians so we kept an eye on all the luggage when anyone left to eat. At Venice we had to take bags up the stairs to the station but at Munich the platform was level with the street - easy to get a taxi!

This year we were in Paris pre-cruise. Our first River cruise which left from Chalon-su-Saone, about 4 hours from Paris by train. Luckily we took an early train (about 9am) and our ship wasn't scheduled to sail until the following day. Viking (cruise line) had sent red luggage tags with our paperwork. All that added together for an interesting "adventure"! As we boarded our train (a real pain sine there wasno room left for the uggage and we had to arrange it in our seats!) we began to notice many reg tags and many of us nodded greetings to each other.

Trip started smoothly, until we stopped at about the 3rd station and we realized we were staying rather long. Started again, next station was a longer wait and the French speaking passengers began to seem nervous. Next station we stopped and never began - the train had broken down! We all had to exit with our luggage! and we had about 30 fellow passegers on the platform! Call to ship said what we thought - take the next train and that one also meant a transfer which was easy, just acoss the platform. But when we arrived at Chalon we had to take our luggage down one staircase and up another - we did recive help - the French were wonderful!!! [Later in the trip we took the train from Avignon to Nice and had a nice ride with no excitement!!]

Would I travel by train again - of course! But just a warning from our adventure - give yourself plenty of time! and make sure you know your options for later trains! Our cruise director said French trains are always breaking down! I'm sure an exaggeration but better safe than sorry when trying to make a connection!!

Also an FYI - there are two train "companies", "services", whatever in France - TGV and SCNF. They operate on the same tracks and stations. I read about differences last year but it was too complicated to remember. Just be aware of them when you research your trip. I think both tickets can be pre-purchased through RailEurope. [insteresting on our "adventure", non of us ever had our tickets checked! When DH spoke to the CD while waiting for the second train, the CD said they usually honor tickets when a train breaks down. Some people were concerned about that but no one ever checked!!]

Sorry if this was long - just want you to be prepared! But again we're planning on using the train from Paris to Bordeaux for our 2014 cruise!!!

Hi Peg,

No info or experience about Paris will ever be too long for me to read, so I thank you for sharing your experience. I expect that getting the luggage onto the train/off again will be stressful, nothing I can do to avoid that. The only train from Paris to Le Harve is SCNF from the Saint Lazare station. I don't think I'll see many people from my cruise(Celebrity) as I am embarking a day late to see Paris, but I'm young and a good traveler so I will just take it as it comes.

Thank you for sharing your story and the tips :)

Jen

WiFi was good and there was a safe. I think we made the reservation through Booking.com (have used them a lot in Europe and never had a problem!) and made one that could be canceled if necessary. [usually the cheapest is one that can't be canceled.]

Train travel in Europe is good - but luggage is a real pain!!! Last year we took the train from Venice to Munich - our choice we wanted to travel through the Alps. It was beautiful and the easy, once we dragged our luggage on board - we had been on a 12 day cruise + 4 days post-cruise in Istanbul so each had 2 checked and 2 carry-ons! Once on the bags sat outside our door within view and we stopped at only a few stations. Other 4 people were American & Canadians so we kept an eye on all the luggage when anyone left to eat. At Venice we had to take bags up the stairs to the station but at Munich the platform was level with the street - easy to get a taxi!

This year we were in Paris pre-cruise. Our first River cruise which left from Chalon-su-Saone, about 4 hours from Paris by train. Luckily we took an early train (about 9am) and our ship wasn't scheduled to sail until the following day. Viking (cruise line) had sent red luggage tags with our paperwork. All that added together for an interesting "adventure"! As we boarded our train (a real pain sine there wasno room left for the uggage and we had to arrange it in our seats!) we began to notice many reg tags and many of us nodded greetings to each other.

Trip started smoothly, until we stopped at about the 3rd station and we realized we were staying rather long. Started again, next station was a longer wait and the French speaking passengers began to seem nervous. Next station we stopped and never began - the train had broken down! We all had to exit with our luggage! and we had about 30 fellow passegers on the platform! Call to ship said what we thought - take the next train and that one also meant a transfer which was easy, just acoss the platform. But when we arrived at Chalon we had to take our luggage down one staircase and up another - we did recive help - the French were wonderful!!! [Later in the trip we took the train from Avignon to Nice and had a nice ride with no excitement!!]

Would I travel by train again - of course! But just a warning from our adventure - give yourself plenty of time! and make sure you know your options for later trains! Our cruise director said French trains are always breaking down! I'm sure an exaggeration but better safe than sorry when trying to make a connection!!

Also an FYI - there are two train "companies", "services", whatever in France - TGV and SCNF. They operate on the same tracks and stations. I read about differences last year but it was too complicated to remember. Just be aware of them when you research your trip. I think both tickets can be pre-purchased through RailEurope. [insteresting on our "adventure", non of us ever had our tickets checked! When DH spoke to the CD while waiting for the second train, the CD said they usually honor tickets when a train breaks down. Some people were concerned about that but no one ever checked!!]

Sorry if this was long - just want you to be prepared! But again we're planning on using the train from Paris to Bordeaux for our 2014 cruise!!!

Archived